Raw Gizzard Safety Concern

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding a raw chicken gizzard as a treat 3 or 4 times a week. Is this safe for my boy? I understand it could present a salmonella problem,but how great is the risk? I feed the gizzard to help prevent dental problems. He is on a wet diet with the exception of 2 tsp. Fromms dry as a treat. I alternate the dry with the gizzard. Any advice?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About 8%-10% of my two cats' diet is raw gizzards. (Of course the other 92% is other raw muscle meat, raw organs and raw bone. :p)

You should be fine. Use your good common sense when buying. Usually some or all of the gizzards packages are still frosty cold and don't have any water accumulated in the package. Those are very fresh. I usually "pass" and don't buy any if they are melted and watery in the tray. Sometimes they just look like they've been out too long.

Gizzards are high protein, low fat, and great for their teeth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your advice. Tuff will be glad to keep eating his gizzard treat!
About 8%-10% of my two cats' diet is raw gizzards. (Of course the other 92% is other raw muscle meat, raw organs and raw bone. :p)

You should be fine. Use your good common sense when buying. Usually some or all of the gizzards packages are still frosty cold and don't have any water accumulated in the package. Those are very fresh. I usually "pass" and don't buy any if they are melted and watery in the tray. Sometimes they just look like they've been out too long.

Gizzards are high protein, low fat, and great for their teeth.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Tuff will be happy to keep eating his gizzard treat!

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed gizzards to my three little monsters as well. :) Salmonella is more a risk to humans than it is to cats. Cats can handle the bacterial content of raw meats just fine. So just make sure that you wash your hands and sanitize anything that may have come into contact with raw meat.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed gizzards to my three little monsters as well. :) Salmonella is more a risk to humans than it is to cats. Cats can handle the bacterial content of raw meats just fine. So just make sure that you wash your hands and sanitize anything that may have come into contact with raw meat.
Thanks for the input! There is a certain amount of risk in everything, but I think the risk here is small. So I will continue as usual.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input. I have decided to continue as usual and Tuff agrees!