Raw foods and crushed egg shells

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alright here are the things I need help with:
1. I plan on buying prepackaged raw mince made specifically for cats but I'd like to add some ingredients on a daily bases, cooked or raw, what are some suggestions?

2. I'd like to start adding crushed egg shells to my cats food for calcium, any way to do this without having risk of salmonella?

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The ingredients are the following:
Meat [Kangaroo, Chicken, and/or Beef, and/or Pork], Flavour, Vitamins & Minerals, Amino Acids, Mineral Salt, Vegetable Oil, Gelling Agents, Food Acid, Natural Colour, Animal Fat, Taurine

Can I add maybe some mince beef or chicken mince as well just to add more stock since these are pricey? Or maybe I can feed it with some canned food or cooked eggs?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Store your eggs at 40º F. or below, in the refrigerator and cook them to 160º F. or higher before serving.

If you are using shells from recently cooked eggs (within a day) keep them in the fridge until it's time to use them.

If you are storing eggshells then using them later, heat them to 160º F. or higher by boiling them in water. I suppose you could do it in the microwave oven but you'll have to use a thermometer to be sure they are hot enough. If you boil them on the stove, you know that they are hot enough because water boils at 212º F. ... Plenty hot enough!

Also check out this web page by the United States FDA:

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Store your eggs at 40º F. or below, in the refrigerator and cook them to 160º F. or higher before serving.

If you are using shells from recently cooked eggs (within a day) keep them in the fridge until it's time to use them.

If you are storing eggshells then using them later, heat them to 160º F. or higher by boiling them in water. I suppose you could do it in the microwave oven but you'll have to use a thermometer to be sure they are hot enough. If you boil them on the stove, you know that they are hot enough because water boils at 212º F. ... Plenty hot enough!

Also check out this web page by the United States FDA:
[/URL]
So do I cook them until they boil or whilst the water is boiling. I can basically make boiled eggs and use the shells, right? Also thanks for the help!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put the eggs into the water then make the water boil or put them into water that's already boiling.

Leave them in the boiling water until the internal temperature of the eggs reaches 160º F. or higher.

Yes, if you properly cook your eggs then use the shells right away they'll be all right, provided you treat them as you would any other food.

If you take the shells off the eggs then store them for later use, be sure to store them in the fridge then treat them as if they have never been cooked before and heat them to 160º F or better before putting them into your cat's food.

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Put the eggs into the water then make the water boil or put them into water that's already boiling.

Leave them in the boiling water until the internal temperature of the eggs reaches 160º F. or higher.

Yes, if you properly cook your eggs then use the shells right away they'll be all right, provided you treat them as you would any other food.

If you take the shells off the eggs then store them for later use, be sure to store them in the fridge then treat them as if they have never been cooked before and heat them to 160º F or better before putting them into your cat's food.
Thanks!

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If anyone could tell me if the food I listed earlier is balanced. It doesn't specify if it's meat, bones, kidney and stuff, just the animal.

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If anyone could tell me if the food I listed earlier is balanced. It doesn't specify if it's meat, bones, kidney and stuff, just the animal.
There's no way to know if the food is balanced as they (or you?) haven't supplied specific details.

Meat [Kangaroo, Chicken, and/or Beef, and/or Pork], Flavour, Vitamins & Minerals, Amino Acids, Mineral Salt, Vegetable Oil, Gelling Agents, Food Acid, Natural Colour, Animal Fat, Taurine
Which vitamins and minerals and how much?
What Amino acids and how much
How much taurine
What type of mineral salt? Iodised or not?
And I would seriously question why the supplier feels the need to add all these extra additives;
"Flavour", "Gelling agent", "Food Acid", "natural colour" and "animal fat"

IMHO this does not read like a reputable supply. They can't even specify if beef or pork are in each batch. Also is the pork cooked? I have read that we should only give cooked pork to our cats, but I haven't confirmed that.

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's no way to know if the food is balanced as they (or you?) haven't supplied specific details.

Which vitamins and minerals and how much?
What Amino acids and how much
How much taurine
What type of mineral salt? Iodised or not?
And I would seriously question why the supplier feels the need to add all these extra additives;
"Flavour", "Gelling agent", "Food Acid", "natural colour" and "animal fat"

IMHO this does not read like a reputable supply. They can't even specify if beef or pork are in each batch. Also is the pork cooked? I have read that we should only give cooked pork to our cats, but I haven't confirmed that.
No idea. I decided to be mixing raw food into her normal cat food diet now

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you checked with the company/place you'd buy from? If they can't answer, I'd have to agree with Nice Loki Nice Loki that the source doesn't seem reputable. Even if they can answer, Nice Loki's questions and concerns about gelling agents and other additives totally align with my thoughts. I know I'm especially cautious about this stuff (our cats have all sorts of digestive oddities) but I'd definitely stay away. Gelling agents sound particularly problematic -- even ludicrous -- to me. Why would mince need gelling agents? Adding stuff ingredients like those removes one of the best benefits of raw foods: feeding something natural to a cat's diet. Gelling agents are unnecessary and (as our cats can attest) they can cause digestive problems.

Caspers Human Caspers Human 's tutorial on eggshells are just right, though if there's already bone in the mince, it may not be needed. I don't know details on this since I only buy commercial raw food and supplements for meat but there's a ratio of phosphorus and calcium that should be maintained in cat food. Here's information about that.