Raw food making cat sick/nauseous?

nicolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last week I had to rush to the vet with my cat because she was just lying on the floor under the couch at lunch time, something that's not like her at all!

She wouldn't come to the food and when I put it down next to her she just turned away. She also threw up a couple of times. The vet didn't find anything wrong with her and and was just relieved that she seemed to feel better. Then today she threw up again! The only connection I can find is that the other cats were eating raw food. She hasn't been eating any because she refused the first time I prepared it, so when the other cats get it, she gets her normal food. 

The thing is, today I saw her just before she threw up. She went up to a bowl of raw food, sniffed it and them immediately threw up!

Is it possible that she gets nauseous by the smell or could it be a more serious problem? 

Anyone that has any experience with this?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Throwing up after sniffing food is a sign of nausea as are lethargy and not eating. Did the vet do a fecal on her? Her symptoms sound a lot like those my cat had when she had a bacterial infection. A fecal showed the presence of bacteria that can cause sickness.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Throwing up after sniffing food is a sign of nausea. Did the vet do a fecal on her? Her symptoms sound a lot like those my cat had when she had a bacterial infection. A fecal showed the presence of bacteria that can cause sickness.
No, the vet only took her temperature, took a blood sample and did an overall exam.

Everything felt fine, but she was dehydrated. Is there another sign of having this bacterial infection?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Throwing up after sniffing food is a sign of nausea. Did the vet do a fecal on her? Her symptoms sound a lot like those my cat had when she had a bacterial infection. A fecal showed the presence of bacteria that can cause sickness.
No, the vet only took her temperature, took a blood sample and did an overall exam.

Everything felt fine, but she was dehydrated. Is there another sign of having this bacterial infection?
Actually I probably shouldn't have called it a bacterial infection. What it really is is bacteria overgrowth in the GI tract. I don't believe anything other than a fecal will show it.

nicolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Actually I probably shouldn't have called it a bacterial infection. What it really is is bacteria overgrowth in the GI tract. I don't believe anything other than a fecal will show it.
Okay!

I'll call my vet in the morning and ask if I can come in for a test. I didn't know the connection of the raw food before so they'll have some more to go on this time. :)

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A UTI can cause nausea also. A urine analysis would show that. Also an intestial obstruction which may or may not up show on an x-ray.

You should be able to just take a fresh fecal sample in for the fecal analysis. You might ask about that.

Good luck!

nicolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

A UTI can cause nausea also. A urine analysis would show that. Also an intestial obstruction which may or may not up show on an x-ray.

You should be able to just take a fresh fecal sample in for the fecal analysis. You might ask about that.

Good luck!
They thought she felt completely fine when we went the first time, so I don't think she has an obstruction.

It's so weird 'cause they said she was the picture of health, but the blood test said that she was dehydrated. It was a little of a mystery to them.

I haven't been able to call the vet yet, but I'm calling first thing monday.