raw food is not safe

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looking at those articles, I think that the bulk of them refer to how handling raw meats can be detrimental to a human's health more than to a pet's. A cat's digestive system is not the same as a human's. Their bodies can handle things that ours cannot. Before cats were socialized to humans and relied on themselves for food, what did they eat?? Were they cooking for themselves? Now, we know that they were not eating anything that they could not hunt themselves that also didn't live where they were in the desert (all cats have evolved from desert dwelling ancestors) so chicken, pork, beef, fish, turkey, etc was not on the menu. What was on the menu was rodents, small birds, etc. Did they die out? Obviously not. Many vets try to deter people from feeding raw for several reasons. The first one is that most "regular" vets do not know much about feline nutrition. Why? This is because in veterinary school, it is representatives from the big pet food brands that teach this. What do you think they are going to tell them? The second is because if they DO recommend a raw diet and something happens to the animal as a result, who do you think the owner will blame?? Yes- the vet. The vet doesn't want that burden. 

You will find arguments for both sides if you look online. This is a very informative website about feline nutrition from a very respected veterinarian who specializes in felines- Dr Lisa Pierson. http://www.catinfo.org/#My_cats_are_now_eating

Do your research and decide for yourself. I don't take much stock in those articles personally. I think that if the meat that is used is sourced from a reputable place, is handled properly and is prepared correctly to make it nutritionally complete and balanced, a cat can not only survive on raw but thrive. Many people here have cats on a raw diet and they are thriving beautifully. This is, of course, as long as the cat actually EATS it! 

You know your cat better than anyone. You feed your cat what he/she will eat, that you can afford and are comfortable feeding. Do not let some articles bully you into doing something you don't agree with. 

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an FHV cat (feline herpes) and he has been eating raw for several years now, we have never had a problem.

Mikey's new vet even supports raw feeding, telling me where I can find "quality" raw meats at local farmer's markets in NYC.

Not all vets are singing the Science Diet / Hills mantra, our vet also said he does everything possible to *not* recommend SD /Hills.

juliejac0bs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Personally i feed my cat cooked food but half-cooked. I'm also skeptical feed her full raw. I know this works for others but I'm happy with my current setup and my feline companion is happy with it :)

fordfairlane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone should do what they are most comfortable with, however my personal experience with raw feeding has been very positive. My 11 year old kibble addict switched to raw this year. She was a chronic vomiter who also had recurring skin issues. Since she switched to raw, she has not vomitted one time and her skin cleared up. I feel like the diet change has given my cat a better quality of life. Not all cats are the same, and not all cat lovers are comfortable with raw food, but I know what has worked for my cat family.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When the FDA steps up and demands that the chicken jerky treats from China that are making dogs sick all over the country be recalled, I'll listen to what they have to say.  Keep in mind kibble and canned foods are recalled daily, must more than any raw brand (HPP or not), so why commercial food isn't lumped into a category of dangerous I've no idea. 

I place very little trust in what the FDA recommends as far as food and pet food safety goes, but that's just my opinion!

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I place very little trust in what the FDA recommends as far as food and pet food safety goes, but that's just my opinion!
Agreed, I also place very little trust in FDA's recommendations. Since I signed a hefty NDA, I will not go into the details about what I learned while serving the major pharmaceutical and consumer packaged goods industry. Let's just say that I saw too much during my years there, that I stopped taking any and all prescription medication that was ever recommended to me except for the one time I had wisdom teeth removal and antibiotics were required. I threw away the painkiller prescription and bared the pain with extra icing for a few days. I also stopped taking all over the counter medicine like Tylenol. I only take natural herbal remedies which the FDA will never approve. And that is because those small herbal companies lack the funds to allow for costly FDA testing. It is no secret that the FDA is favorable to those with the deepest pockets. Even among organizations and groups that were assembled to keep the public in their best interest, money trumps all. What the FDA approves and disapproves means absolutely nothing to me. I do my own thorough research and make a judgment based on that. I'm not dead yet, and I haven't been sick in years, not even a single cold, so I think I'm doing alright.