Raw food in UK? Any tips or experience?

Saf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There ARE decent commercial wet foods out there (Thrive, Catz Finefood, Animonda Carny, Nature's Menu pouches, Aatu pouches etc etc). As far as dry food goes, the reason so many cats like it is because it's coated in 'digest' (highly processed meat, often liver) of some sort or another. This is incredibly appealing to cats - it's designed to be! I have never seen or heard any evidence that it's because it reminds cats of 'crushing a mouse's skull'! That argument doesn't make any sense when talking about housemate that have never hunted a day in their lives :winkcat: I agree that dry food can be the most problematic of the commercial foods, but that doesn't meant that all dry food is an issue if fed correctly (and with extra measures taken to ensure good water intake). It's certainly a little extreme to write all commercial food off as garbage! :wink:

Many cats thrive on commercial foods, mine included, and raw food isn't appropriate for all cats or all situations...indeed, some cats just don't recognise it as food! There is, as yet, no scientific proof that raw is superior to commercially available foods - the studies just haven't been done. Don't get me wrong - I'm not against raw feeding at all, and it's great that it's working for you and your kitties :thumbsup: It just isn't the ONLY good option out there.
A Scientific Take On Cat Nutrition By Dr. Rachel Boltz
Raw Food For Cats - Interview With Pet Nutritionist Dr. Martha Cline

Fwiw, Almo Nature and Applaws get confusing because each brand has several ranges, some of which are complete and others which are complementary. You just have to check the product information ;)
Almo Nature Pet Food, Complete Diet?

And Applaws is pretty much the same. I.e. the wet isn't complete but the dry is and you'd need to feed both to achieve anywhere near a balanced diet. It's a messiness I'd personally advise people to steer clear from. Plus feeding too much fish is not great for a cat, and applaws wet is often 80% tuna, not balanced with the appropriate nutrients. I don't think it makes even a great complimentary diet and Sawyer and Freckles will never be introduced to the existence of tuna.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In 2007, I started a diet without processed foods and decided to eat 3 colorful veggies, 2 fruits, 1 pasta/potato/rice side and 3-6 ounces of meat every day. I felt more lively at middle-age eating whole, fresh foods than I felt as a young adult eating a bunch of processed, packaged junk with a bunch of corn/wheat/soy plus synthetic nutrients added so it doesn't kill you as quickly or noticeably. (Not to mention added colors and preservatives, and carcinogenic can liners so that cans don't rust). I thought I was tired all the time in my mid-30's because of aging. Turns out it was the processed food sapping all my energy.

So one day I was pouring bowls of "nutritious" kibble for my dogs' and cats' dinner and thought, "Hey! Wait a minute! I should really know better than this." My pets went on raw in 2008 after months of studying pet nutrition. The changes in vitality were amazing...just like changes in my own health.

Nope, no scientific studies proving that whole fresh foods are any better than processed foods. That's fine by me. The processed feed industry has no reasons to pour money into making the comparisons...I expect they know how the results would turn out even if they skewed the data significantly.

When I see the grocery aisle sign reading "Pet Food", I always think "Dead Food" aisle. :p There are a lot of dead food aisles for pets and for us two-legged beasts. Amazing what we've been programmed to believe is "normal, natural and healthy" over the last century.

• Purraise
Reactions: Saf
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mixedstripes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Saf, thanks for that added recommendation. I Really will try NaturalInstinct now. Its really kind of you to offer to pay £ to charity if he doesn't like it, but I've spent £££ so whats the difference?! I know what you mean about the dry food - I have often thought its the satisfying "bone crushing" aspect. I will come back sometime and let you know how I get on with NaturalInstinct probably in a few months ...

I've also read that fish isn't a great "taste" for cats to get used to, as most of their more natural food tends to come from the rodent family, etc.

• Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mixedstripes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And this has been my experience too Saf ... about trying so many foods that were meant to be "quality" and getting nowhere fast. Thank you for taking the time to give a lengthy reply which helps put your experience and recommendation in context.

• Purraise