Raw feeding transition

mila.lit85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my female cat is 1.4 years old and was always fed high quality wet and dry food. Recently I am thinking to transition her to raw food 🤞🏻I chose the way of gradual transition and started to mix a bit of the raw food with her wet food. I do have few questions about this transition as this is my first cat (or any pet) so hopefully more experienced cat owners can help answer them:

1. When I mix the raw food with the wet food, how long can it be out? My cat eats a bit and then comes back to it later and usually starches the food consumption for few hours.
2. Is there any raw food replacements for dry food?
3. How crucial the dry food in their diet?
4. If you transitioned your cat to raw food, how long it took until the cat was fully fed only raw food?

Thank you!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What kind of raw are you feeding? Frozen, homemade, freeze dried?

Frozen or homemade raw can only be left out for maybe an hour or so. Like raw meat for Human consumption, the meat can quickly spoil. I would only give enough food that the cat will eat fairly quickly. Un rehydrated freeze dried raw and air dried raw can be left out a bit longer and some people use those as a substitute for dry food.

Dry food is not needed in any cat's diet IMO.

I think I transitioned my rescue cat to raw food within a week or two. She was about 6 months old at the time so still fairly easy to transition unlike adult cats. I started by mixing a little commercial raw into canned food and gradually increasing the amount of raw. I think having another cat who was already on raw and happily eating it helped my rescue figure out that the strange stuff in her bowl was food to eat.