Raw feeding for dogs

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if there is a trusted resource like catinfo.org or feline-nutrition.org for dogs? I'm not necessarily looking for a recipe but for some trusted information on canine nutrition and the basics of feeding raw. Do the same basic rules apply, such as high protein, low carb, high moisture, 10% bone? Any advice appreciated.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If your dog is a purebred there are many breed specific sites you can join. Most of them have a section on Diet & Nutrition.
Here is a blog specifically designed for raw feeding and the BARF diet that you may want to check out:
Raw Feeding Guides for Dogs

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want prey model raw, yeah, the basic ratio is 80/10/5/5, just like for cats. Or make friends with a rabbit or guinea pig breeder and just toss them them the entire thing, if you can afford it.

Dogs of course are more flexible in nutrition needs than cats are, so BARF (bones and raw food) is popular too, but that includes fruits and veggies and sometimes even grains and other carbs.

I can't really recommend any particular sites, but most large dog forums have a raw feeding section with knowledgeable people. Beware, the BARF vs prey model arguments can get heated ;).

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a dog that ate raw food, I used a commercial prepared one that came frozen in little meat patties. It was made with meat/ bone ratio and also had vegetables added. I added raw green beef tripe to it as well,stunk to high heaven but he loved it. To echo Willowy, people are VERY strident in their opinions on line when it comes to feeding raw to dogs, for me what I fed my dog worked for him and me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, thanks everyone. I appreciate your insight.

Don't worry - the strong opinions don't scare me. I am used to it coming from the feline nutrition sub-forum here. ;)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Don't worry - the strong opinions don't scare me. I am used to it coming from the feline nutrition sub-forum here. ;)
Good for you! :thumbsup: And, yes, dog forums can get just as opinionated when it comes to nutrition but you can be the best judge of what's good for your pup.

BaileyCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our dogs and cats are fed the same.
Although dogs aren't obligate carnivores ... half the world says that they need fruits and vegetables. The other half says no.
If you pick the side to feed fruits and vegtables, make them a very small part of their diet. Our experience with dogs (past and present)... anything other than a small amount, their tummies get upset and they tend to get very gassy.

BaileyCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if there is a trusted resource like catinfo.org or feline-nutrition.org for dogs? I'm not necessarily looking for a recipe but for some trusted information on canine nutrition and the basics of feeding raw. Do the same basic rules apply, such as high protein, low carb, high moisture, 10% bone? Any advice appreciated.
Sooooooo, have you started feeding your dog(s) raw yet? :)