Raw Fed Cat Sneezing

lukey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Cubby [3-4 yrs old], as in my avatar, sneezes sometimes and will sneeze 6+ times in a row.

I feed my cats 100% meats, mostly raw with bones, and canned fish and raw egg yolk, and organ meats. they are very healthy but what can I do about Cub's sneezing?

Could it be hairball related?

Thanks for any tips.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any discharge with the sneezing?  I have a kitty who has an upper respiratory right now who machine gun sneezes as my hubby puts it, he sneezes like half a dozen times right in a row.

lillydsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When does your cat sneeze the most? Clean your home thoroughly. The raw diet is a fad and I don't recommend it. Brush your cat daily to prevent hairballs. Feeding a dab of petroleum jelly once or twice a day can really help, too.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the sneezing new? When did it start? Where are you located?

Without more information, there's no way to know if it's environmental allergies, seasonal allergies, perhaps a flare-up of herpes, etc. Can you provide a little more information about the sneezing - how long has it been going on, etc.

Fish can be an allergan for some cats. Is there a relationship to when you began feeding sardines?

Of course, food allergies are usually related to itching, not sneezing.

LillyDSH isn't into species-appropriate feeding or treatments. Sneezing, in my experience, is unrelated to hairballs. If there IS a hairball problem, using egg yolks and egg yolk lecithin is a far superior solution.

What you might want to consider is using either some L-lysine or Lactoferrin to see if resolves the sneezing. L-lysine didn't help my Billy with the sneezing much, but Lactoferrin did. Here is more information: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/267703/stubborn-herpes-infection-add-lactoferrin-in-addition-to-lysine

Even if it's just a URI and not the herpes virus, the Lactoferrin may help resolve the problem. If there is colored discharge, it's time for a vet visit, as that is a sign there's a bacterial infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lukey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

When does your cat sneeze the most? Clean your home thoroughly. The raw diet is a fad and I don't recommend it. Brush your cat daily to prevent hairballs. Feeding a dab of petroleum jelly once or twice a day can really help, too.
They've eaten this way for 3-4 yrs now. To us, it's a way of feeding that enables cats to rise above the health of the average cat and has proven itself to us in many ways.
Raw fed diet is what finally put an end to Cubby's severe diarrhea when he came home from the shelter. There's no way I'd go back to commercial kibble or canned cat foods, which I think are garbage. I don't even take them to the vet any more.  No vaccines either, and no unnecesary vet appts.

Their teeth and gums are awesome, they have very few fleas and I use no dangerous flea chemicals on them.
Great appetite, small, almost odorless poop, good urination. Great coats of fur. I don't need a vet to tell me they're thriving.

I used to give them a dab of coconut oil every day when they'd come into the bathroom but they don't seem to come in any more. I'm going to have to find other ways to get them to take CNOil, which has got to be better for them than P jelly.
Petroleum Jelly is a petrochemical and I wouldn't recommend it taken internally for any living thing. Healthy oils like coconut oil can nourish as well as lubricate.

• Purraise
Reactions: ldg

lukey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is the sneezing new? When did it start? Where are you located?

Without more information, there's no way to know if it's environmental allergies, seasonal allergies, perhaps a flare-up of herpes, etc. Can you provide a little more information about the sneezing - how long has it been going on, etc.

Fish can be an allergan for some cats. Is there a relationship to when you began feeding sardines?

Hi,

He hasn't sneezed today. He's sneezed off and on for most of the 3 years i've had him. I live in upper East Tennessee, USA.

I feed them an egg yolk 3-4x a week with their canned mackerel or sardines.

Interesting about Lactoferrin. I may try that one of these days. I had a feeling there was something that wold help him with this.

Cub spits up once in a while. If I feed him too much at once in the morning, he will throw it up. I usually give him one piece of meat and then wait an hour or two before feeding him more, and then he seems to hold it down OK.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They've eaten this way for 3-4 yrs now. To us, it's a way of feeding that enables cats to rise above the health of the average cat and has proven itself to us in many ways.
Raw fed diet is what finally put an end to Cubby's severe diarrhea when he came home from the shelter. There's no way I'd go back to commercial kibble or canned cat foods, which I think are garbage. I don't even take them to the vet any more.  No vaccines either, and no unnecesary vet appts.

Their teeth and gums are awesome, they have very few fleas and I use no dangerous flea chemicals on them.
Great appetite, small, almost odorless poop, good urination. Great coats of fur. I don't need a vet to tell me they're thriving.

I used to give them a dab of coconut oil every day when they'd come into the bathroom but they don't seem to come in any more. I'm going to have to find other ways to get them to take CNOil, which has got to be better for them than P jelly.
Petroleum Jelly is a petrochemical and I wouldn't recommend it taken internally for any living thing. Healthy oils like coconut oil can nourish as well as lubricate.
Yeah definitely a no on the petroleum jelly, that raised huge red flags for me.  So does Coconut Oil help with hairballs?  I've got one who throws up hairballs once every few weeks or so.  I so wish I could get my cats to eat raw, I feed my little chihuahua raw and have for 3 years, but no go on transitioning my cats, I've got them on canned food except one who is the worst kibble addict I've ever seen.  I work for a vet, and no vaccines for my kitties either.  My one cat would break out with Herpes every single time she was vaccinated so about 5 or 6 years ago I quit vaccinating.  Herpes was a major battle with her, it took 2 people to get the eye meds in her eyes and that was with my hubby pinning her against the desk...she's strong.

lukey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Is there any discharge with the sneezing?  I have a kitty who has an upper respiratory right now who machine gun sneezes as my hubby puts it, he sneezes like half a dozen times right in a row.
No I don't think there is discharge. If / when he machine gun sneezes, I chase him around and that seems to get him to stop it. He doesn't often sneeze this way.

Various times of the day. He hasn't sneezed once today.
It's been cold here lately. It may have to do with the chill in the air. I've been running the heat a little warmer the last few days, at about 70*F.

lukey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Yeah definitely a no on the petroleum jelly, that raised huge red flags for me.  So does Coconut Oil help with hairballs?  I've got one who throws up hairballs once every few weeks or so.  I so wish I could get my cats to eat raw, I feed my little chihuahua raw and have for 3 years, but no go on transitioning my cats, I've got them on canned food except one who is the worst kibble addict I've ever seen.  I work for a vet, and no vaccines for my kitties either.  My one cat would break out with Herpes every single time she was vaccinated so about 5 or 6 years ago I quit vaccinating.  Herpes was a major battle with her, it took 2 people to get the eye meds in her eyes and that was with my hubby pinning her against the desk...she's strong.
It takes time to get them to eat raw. I think it took a few weeks with getting Luke to eat all raw. Just start out with a piece of meat a day, and increase it gradually.

Always make sure they're plenty hungry when feeding them and don't free feed them.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely try the lactoferrin then. :nod: It can help with their overall immune health, actually. (I feed raw too).

I don't know where you're located, but I'm in the US. I buy Jarrow 250mg lactoferrin - which is bovine, I confirmed it with the company. I forgot to mention, you want bovine lactoferrin. There are many lactoferrin supplements made with human lactoferrin produced by transgenic rice. :rolleyes: :barf:

The dose is 1/2 a capsule 2x a day. Do you give them probiotics? That might help too. I use an L. acidophilus supplement, 5 billion CFU am and pm (I use a human supplement rather than a pet probiotic. Those tend to be much lower dose and made from fermentation product, not live cultures).

Last edited:

lukey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I really appreciate this advice.

I have a jar of NaturVet Enzymes and Probiotics for cats and dogs that has a 3/2013 Exp date on it. Do you think it would still be good enough to use? It was given to me but I seldom used it.

I also have Nature's Way Primadophilus human probiotics in the refrigerator..

I may add the Jarrow brand Lactoferrin also.

lukey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll get some Jarrow Lactoferrin. I've had Jarrow brand things before.
Vitacost.com probably has it.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure they do. :nod:

I just looked up the Nature's Way Primadophilus. It's perfect for the kitties. It says each capsule is 5 billion CFU. You can either do 1/2 a cap 2x a day, or a full cap 2x a day.

lukey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll do that.
Maybe Lukey's breath will improve with some probiotics.

His teeth and gums look  good but his breath isn't too good.  

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has he had a dental recently? I hadn't gotten several of my cats in for a dental for a few years. We caught up this summer and fall, and almost every single one of them needed at least one tooth removed. Most of them had some type of FORL that could NOT be seen other than via x-ray. Especially on raw, if your kitty's breath smells, if there hasn't been a recent dental, it's time for one. :nod:

But lactoferrin does help with gingivitis/stomatitis. In fact, there are studies re: the benefit of lactoferrin in helping resolve stomatitis.

daisy the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Newport Beach, California http://www.facebook.com/
my six and a half year old powder puff girl almost died the second day she was home at seven weeks old. that rotten cat flu they get in the shelters... hundreds of dollars at the vet and she ws still dying. i gave her the lactoferrin and L-lysine treats (vettra L-lysine treats) for cats. i syringe feed watered (bottle water of coarse) several times a day when the cats get sick (i do independant cat rescue) otherwize they can die from not eating because they can't smell...

daisy is going on seven years old now and still will have some sneezing issues once in a while. if it's just one sneeze, i ignore it as maybe possibly dust. but those multiple sneezing things you talk about i'd give some lactoferrin until it stops! turned out daisy ended up with a small bit of asthma as well that showed up in her xray.

if they have a little asthma, any little tiny  bit of a cold or anything can start it up and then it's dangerous. has your cat been exposed to chilly drafts? some cats are sensitive and have lower immune systems. i have a former feral now housecat who had almost died a few times but only because of bad bad feral cat attacks. cuts ect. i healed him with lactoferrin, L-Lysine, and antibiotics + the eight times a day syringe feedings. thing is that some cats can tolerate the chilly weather easier than others. your cat might be more sensitive like  my Daisy. Jarrow lactoferrin on amazon.com is the thing to get. get a couple of things and you have free shipping. love amazon!if they get hurts like cuts or fight abrasions, A. Vogel Echinaforce tablets are good to give two twice a day mashed into a tablespoon of wet food so they get it all in. the lactoferrin, they love the taste anyways! i open up the capsule and mix it into a teaspoon of wet cat food and a bit of bottled water so they get it all in their tiny bodies. then give them as much as they want after. and i hate dry food. it can kill cats. even the highest end brands. it can cause urinary tract blockages that can kill, stones and crystals. my ferals eat the cheap 15 1/2 oz cans of friskies with "cat mix" that's the name... and it's better than expensive dry food for them. Daisy and Merlin get the Blue Buffalo ones without the fruits which also can cause stones and crystals regardless of what some vets say. i get the Wild Mountain version of chicken and turkey mix. Expensive but Petco has the pet perks thing and i save $15 each month when i buy the cans. the vet years ago had me on Royal Canin canned food and that has pork by products and wheat gluten in it! Weruva is made in Thailand!!!!!!!! and some vets push that stuff??? they do and it's expensive too. never would i get anything from asian countries. too many dead dogs and cats.

daisy the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Newport Beach, California http://www.facebook.com/
i always wanted to do the coconut oil thing! we use it for us humans alot but all the vets and cat sites say the chain fatty acids are not good. yet before i submit this post i am at this moment reading more on it what they say now because i'd like to think it's good for them...

as i was reading, it said only the processed coconut oil is bad. if it's extra virgin, it's good.