Raw diet ... Liver

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all.

Long time member but haven't been here for a while.

Stewart threw me a curveball by discontinuing some of their product line.

I feed Turkey and a little pork to my 15 year old Himi. Been using Alnutrin with eggshell calcium since the start of raw feeding ... several years now.
Kitty cannot tolerate chicken or chicken liver. I have been using freeze dried turkey liver from the start with no issues.
Stewart discontinued the Turkey liver (and Duck and Lamb as well I believe). I have no fresh liver available locally except for chicken or beef. Again, can't feed chicken liver and I'm not keen on trying beef liver. In addition, I think I'm better off staying with a freeze dried Liver as that is the liver I have always used (I use RawCalc to do the conversion). It allows me to grind the liver up to a fine powder which enables the liver to be very uniformally distributed throughout his food. He is a very particular and finicky boy that was fed dry food for most of his life and I don't want to change things up since he's been eating raw for several years now.

At any rate, freeze dried duck liver is available (not Stewarts). Seeing how he doesn't tolerate chicken, I'm thinking that trying Duck liver might be the best alternative to the Turkey liver at this point.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi all.

Long time member but haven't been here for a while.

Stewart threw me a curveball by discontinuing some of their product line.

I feed Turkey and a little pork to my 15 year old Himi. Been using Alnutrin with eggshell calcium since the start of raw feeding ... several years now.
Kitty cannot tolerate chicken or chicken liver. I have been using freeze dried turkey liver from the start with no issues.
Stewart discontinued the Turkey liver (and Duck and Lamb as well I believe). I have no fresh liver available locally except for chicken or beef. Again, can't feed chicken liver and I'm not keen on trying beef liver. In addition, I think I'm better off staying with a freeze dried Liver as that is the liver I have always used (I use RawCalc to do the conversion). It allows me to grind the liver up to a fine powder which enables the liver to be very uniformally distributed throughout his food. He is a very particular and finicky boy that was fed dry food for most of his life and I don't want to change things up since he's been eating raw for several years now.

At any rate, freeze dried duck liver is available (not Stewarts). Seeing how he doesn't tolerate chicken, I'm thinking that trying Duck liver might be the best alternative to the Turkey liver at this point.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
If he can tolerate turkey, I would try the duck before I'd try beef or lamb for sure, especially if it's available. If he's finicky, I'd probably make a very small batch to make sure he will eat it and tolerate it before making a larger normal sized batch. :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he can tolerate turkey, I would try the duck before I'd try beef or lamb for sure, especially if it's available. If he's finicky, I'd probably make a very small batch to make sure he will eat it and tolerate it before making a larger normal sized batch. :)
Same here. I use freeze-dried duck liver (Primal's I think?) in our home-cooked food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you both.

I have since found 3 other brands of Turkey liver. Not available in the larger size like the Stewart brand was so quite a bit more expensive but at least it looks like I can still get the turkey.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why aren't you keen on beef liver?

Mine loves it.

Bill
It's not about being keen or not being keen on beef liver. My old boy is 15 years old and has always had a very sensitive stomach. I've finally got him to a place, diet wise, where he has no more tummy problems. Beef liver (or anything else) is just a risk I don't want to take if I don't have to.

I lucked into a 1lb tub of Stewarts turkey liver on Amazon. They only had one left and I snagged it this afternoon. Hopefully the tub wasn't being used around the amazon warehouse as a soccer ball. :-)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's not about being keen or not being keen on beef liver. My old boy is 15 years old and has always had a very sensitive stomach. I've finally got him to a place, diet wise, where he has no more tummy problems. Beef liver (or anything else) is just a risk I don't want to take if I don't have to.

I lucked into a 1lb tub of Stewarts turkey liver on Amazon. They only had one left and I snagged it this afternoon. Hopefully the tub wasn't being used around the amazon warehouse as a soccer ball. :-)
I had a cat about that age that had such a delicate GI system, I refused to rock the boat and he ate food that worked for him. I was scared to introduce anything else, because if he ate something that didn't agree, he was a disaster for days. I feel your pain!! But I am glad you found some turkey liver for him.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a cat about that age that had such a delicate GI system, I refused to rock the boat and he ate food that worked for him. I was scared to introduce anything else, because if he ate something that didn't agree, he was a disaster for days. I feel your pain!! But I am glad you found some turkey liver for him.
Yes, that's exactly it. His tummy has been so good these last few years since I switched to a raw diet, eating what he's eating now. The only thing I know for sure is that he cannot tolerate chicken or chicken liver. He could be fine with other things but I just don't want to chance it by changing anything at all.

Thanks