raw commercial brands

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm very interested in starting raw with my kitten Ollie. I just ordered Darwins and very excited to try it. Is there any other brands that are more prey model? I'm not a huge fan of the veggies in many brands. Also, I would like to incorporate some canned as I think in case I go on vacation or my family needs to watch him, canned would be more convenient. How long can raw stay defrosted in the fridge before I should just throw it away?

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is what we do. Our kitties are on commercial raw (mostly Small Batch but occasionally Primal) but I give them the occasional canned so that they're used to it. We have the pet sitter feed canned if we go away and sometimes it's necessary if we forget to defrost. We usually defrost about two days worth. For higher quality canned I usually go with Hounds & Gatos and Lotus. I don't like giving them veggies either.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raw should ideally be used the same day as it's thawed to minimize the risk of contamination, the commercial raw companies will tell you as much on their website and in the literature you'll get with your shipment.

As for canned I use Tiki Cat, the chicken varieties and the after dark varieties have no fruit/vegetable ingredients and no gums.

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed my cat Primal and they love most of their flavors. Primal also has the dry nuggets which they love, and it's convenient if I forgot to thaw food. I also gave them canned everyday to change things up and give them more protein options. I use Ziwi canned and their air drier jerky.

PS. why you don't like veggies? I thought it's not a big deal if it's just small amount.
My cats love snacking on my plants. One of them eat my palm leaves every day that I have exhausted a few plants. He also eats the grass and catnips I grow for them in big quantity. He never had issues with it like vomiting, so I just assumed they need some vegetables for digestion or whatever reason.