Raw Chicken Wings Bring Out Their Wild Side?

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After browsing the web, I found several sources saying occasionally giving your cats raw chicken wings/necks can help with keeping their teeth clean (and other benefits) so I thought I'd give it a try. This afternoon I cut off the wingtip and the mid-section from a raw chicken wing and placed it on a plate for the boys.

At first they (both 8mo boys) sniffed it, unsure. But then one of them went absolutely psycho. He grabbed the mid-size one in his mouth and started growling and hissing and running away from me and my other cat. When I followed he would glare at me and growl, and God forbid I try to take it away from him. Then my other cat took the wing tip and began chewing on it, and HE growled at me too! They've never growled or hissed at me. The wing was gone within half an hour (and I had to thoroughly wipe down my floors, since they dragged it everywhere!).

So I suppose my questions are: Does anyone else's cats do this? Is this a sign I should discontinue feeding them this? Or will the growling subside over time? They were completely sweet and loving after the wing was gone...

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I split a chicken neck between my two boys. Tom took it all across the house to the middle of the living room, where he could see in all directions for anyone who would dare try to take his kill. Stewart stayed in his general feeding area. I didn't try to talk to any of them about it while they were eating, so I don't know about the growling. I just kept laughing and laughing. They loved it.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mishka doesn't growl, but she makes sure that the wing is thoroughly "dead" before she eats it. As in, she grabs it in her teeth and flings it around, thoroughly enjoying herself and making a huge mess. I still give her a wing or neck weekly because she enjoys it so much, despite the cleanup. I think you can continue feeding them wings - it just brought out the wild things inside them. ;)

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hmm, interesting. Sounds a lot easier than grinding them and apparently it gets them excitee. Maybe I'll do it on the weekends and add some cat nip garnish