Raw chicken bones for cats

petfindergal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've recently learned that some people feed their cats raw chicken wing and neck bones. It's supposed to be great nutrition and healthy for their teeth. Does anyone do this? What are your thoughts? I know that you're never supposed to feed them cooked bones because they splinter. Thanks!

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to do this. My cat doesn't like raw but I've had other cats that do. I will for any future cats as well.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not just bones, when I buy whole chickens, the cats (and dog) get the entire raw wings, necks and organs, and skin, unless I'll be roasting or grilling, then skin stays on.

My oldest cat is 17, never had a dental, has never needed one, beautiful teeth.

If i had the freezer space, I'd love to go raw completely, just not an option at this point.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a full time raw feeder and the cats get bone-in meals three times a week. One is chicken wings (just the first two joints), one is chicken ribs (I cut the ribs off the thickest part of the bone) and the third is sometimes rabbit ribs/small bones and sometimes chicken wings again.

And yes, it does wonders for their teeth. In all honesty, however, bone-in meals are only part of the equation. The rest is the slicing and scissoring action of working through raw meat chunks, sinew, tendons and skin three times a day, every day.

I'm not recommending against a chicken wing here or there, just providing the whole story.

Best regards.

AC

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn't like wings as much, there isn't much meat and they take some effort to get through the skin and she's lazy. Drumsticks and wings she'll eat most of if I smash them a bit with a hammer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petfindergal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much, all! My "kids" have been eating mostly raw for over 2 years now, but never knew that bones would be OK. This is great news, since dental cleanings are so expensive and stressful. I'm going to give it a try!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Talking about other parts than wings.
Hearts are especielly good and nourishing. It contains also more calcium than common muscle meat.

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to feed my Italian Mastiffs raw. The butcher used to save me all the chicken backs for free, since they throw those away. They'd also get stew meat, chopped meat, just about anything we were having for dinner, I'd separate the dogs before cooking ours.

They also ate frozen vegetables (still frozen) as treats. Never saw shinier coats or pure beautiful muscle mass!

I'll try raw for Kairi when he's a little bigger, right now while he's growing I want to be positive he's getting all his nutrition in the small quantity that kittens can eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petfindergal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave my kitties raw chicken wings this week. They loved 'em! However, I didn't expect how messy the feast would be. Instead of chewing the wings in their bowls in the kitchen, they grabbed them and dragged them off to various places in the house! Yikes! I can only imagine the bacteria trail... I've got a freezer full of wings from WholeFoods and I'll definitely do it again, soon. For cats that enjoy a raw diet, I highly recommend this. (And my vet gave it a thumbs up, too!)

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I throw a hand towel on the floor and when the cat moves the food off, I move it back, it didn't take long for mine to pick up the idea.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Petfindergal

I gave my kitties raw chicken wings this week. They loved 'em! However, I didn't expect how messy the feast would be. Instead of chewing the wings in their bowls in the kitchen, they grabbed them and dragged them off to various places in the house! Yikes! I can only imagine the bacteria trail... I've got a freezer full of wings from WholeFoods and I'll definitely do it again, soon. For cats that enjoy a raw diet, I highly recommend this. (And my vet gave it a thumbs up, too!)
Welcome. You've just been initiated to raw feeding!
(This is the primary reason my cats are crate-trained for meals.
)

AC

jay48

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good stuff! I'm reading about the best diet for cats and all articles lead me to raw feeding. I've got a bigger reason to feed raw as I can't find good wet-cat food where I live. Right now my cat is recovering from diarrhea so he's getting four & half cleaned raw fish a day (vet's recommendation). In the future, I'll be introducing raw chicken to his diet.
Any idea of the amount of food a cat should get when feeding on raw?

quarkthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's safe to feed a cat chicken bones?

I've always been afraid of choking. I know you can't give a dog chicken bones...

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JAY48

Good stuff! I'm reading about the best diet for cats and all articles lead me to raw feeding. I've got a bigger reason to feed raw as I can't find good wet-cat food where I live. Right now my cat is recovering from diarrhea so he's getting four & half cleaned raw fish a day (vet's recommendation). In the future, I'll be introducing raw chicken to his diet.
Take a look at the first post in this thread, that should get you started: Natural Diet Information Resources

Also, Feline-Nutrition.org, CatInfo.org, and RawFedCats.org all have very good info about raw feeding.

After you've read a bit, if you have specific questions, pop over to TCS's Raw Feeding forum and post them; we have several knowledgeable raw feeders who would be happy to help.

AC

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by QuarktheCat

I've always been afraid of choking. I know you can't give a dog chicken bones...
You can give a dog raw chicken bones.

Raw being key, cooked bones splinter, and of course your dog must be a chewer, not a swallow it whole kind of dog.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JAY48

If by cleaned fish you mean removal of guts, bones, and head, and you are feeding nothing else, this is not a complete diet. Not to mention that even whole fish are not nutritionally complete and full of hard metals. I would recommend reading those links Auntie Crazy gave you.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Sure you can, my dogs eat raw chicken regularly. They have eaten raw exclusively for years now. I haven't transitioned the kittens to raw yet though.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes it is, but they MUST be raw and NEVER cooked bones. Just don't give them the bones, feed them the bone with the meat on. You will find this is an excellent way for your cat to keep their teeth clean. All my wildcats are fed a raw meat diet with bone. They do not have the dental issues that cats fed a commercial diet do. Especially if you feed dry food.

jay48

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Take a look at the first post in this thread, that should get you started: Natural Diet Information Resources

Also, Feline-Nutrition.org, CatInfo.org, and RawFedCats.org all have very good info about raw feeding.

After you've read a bit, if you have specific questions, pop over to TCS's Raw Feeding forum and post them; we have several knowledgeable raw feeders who would be happy to help.

AC
Thanks! I'll visit those links. I'll be introducing my cat to raw chicken in the coming week; I hope he'll like it!
How often do you feed your cats? I am currently feeding him thrice a day (at roughly 8 hour intervals). I tried twice a day feeding but he always wants more at odd times so I broke his daily portion to three small meals.