Raw Butt From Deworming

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 3/ 4 month old foster who has a plethora of parasites. We have him on a pretty substantial med and only 3 days in I can can tell his butt hole is red and irritated. I cant imagine what it will look like in 11 days (end of round 1 of treatment). Any advice on how to help it? He only poops once a day, so I'm not even sure why it's this irritated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm wondering if maybe you could talk to your vet and see if they have thoughts about what's going on?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom - call the vet to inquire about it and also ask if there is a possibility he is allergic to the de-wormer.

I have no idea what could be used to help with the irritation, but hopefully the vet can prescribe something or change the de-wormer product.

Keep us posted, please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately he has coccidia, and theres only one med approved for it :( and now I have to give him yet another dewormer as I found a tapeworm in his poo this morning. However, I did get a chance to talk to the vet this morning, and a sore butthole was the least of her concerns at this point with how badly infested he is.
Honestly, between the coccidia, roundworms, tape worms, fleas, and ear mites its a wonder he doesnt have anemia or diarrhea.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor boy!! I am sure you know to be careful with cleaning his litter box, etc. to help reduce re-infections. So, don't shoot me for asking!!

Also, I am guessing he is an indoor only kitty, considering he is a foster? Another obvious help with keeping him from getting re-infected outside.

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my son's kittens had a bad infestation of coccidia too. He diarrhea was awful and his poor booty was sore too. We used unscented baby wipes to clean him carefully after each bout of diarrhea and sometimes a warm wash cloth.

We also used s. boullardii. He would get 1/4-1/2 capsule 2x a day. We did this for one month continuing even after the vile medicine. At his next check up he was clear!

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, he is in a quarantine room. Easier to clean the floors and areas since the room had no carpet and nothing that can harbor spores/eggs/etc. We are at defcon 5 with infection disease and parasite control. But I dont mind you asking. Many people dont do this.

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my son's kittens had a bad infestation of coccidia too. He diarrhea was awful and his poor booty was sore too. We used unscented baby wipes to clean him carefully after each bout of diarrhea and sometimes a warm wash cloth.

We also used s. boullardii. He would get 1/4-1/2 capsule 2x a day. We did this for one month continuing even after the vile medicine. At his next check up he was clear!
Did you end up washing your clothes after every visit with him? Or was he free range indoors?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No we did not wash clothes are visits. Just good hand washing. I did put a towel over me when I was holding him. He was free range. We just dumped and cleaned litter boxes every day. Fortunately the diarrhea cleared up pretty quickly with the medication. I really believe the S. boullardi (jarrow brand) helped him to get rid of this quickly.