Raw Brand Analysis

yogakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I came upon this pre-made raw food at a very good price. It looks like it's good quality too. Technically it's for dogs but looking at the ingredients I don't see why this wouldn't be suitable for cats. Here is the nutritional breakdown. Can anyone advise on whether this is good for cats? This is just the chicken. They have many other protein sources as well.

CHICKEN
Ingredients: chicken and bone, boneless chicken meat, chicken hearts, chicken liver

Guaranteed Analysis
Per 100 grams

Crude Protein (min): 17.92%
Crude Fat (min): 9.99%
Crude Fibre (max): 0.25%
Moisture (max): 69.68%
Ash: 2.81%

Taurine: 0.049%
Calcium: 0.67%
Phosphorus: 0.47%
Magnesium: 0.03%
Potassium: 0.18%
Sodium: 0.08%
Sulphur: 0.19%
Copper: 2.0 mg/kg
Iron: 25.27 mg/kg
Manganese: 1.30 mg/kg
Zinc: 21.04 mg/kg

Gross Energy (kcal/kg): 1933.85
Metabolizable Energy (kcal/kg): 1468.08

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure of the exact values (I just buy the food my vet tells me to :dunno:), but I am fairly sure that cats need more Taurine and Thiamine than dogs, so maybe if those values aren't sufficient for cats, that's why it's branded for dogs?

Sorry I'm not much help here, my main goal is to bump up your thread up for you; hopefully some raw/nutrition expert will be able to help you out.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Standard homemade mix at my house for the cats and the dog is 80% boneless, 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% other secreting organ. Can you ask the manufacturer/seller if this is an "80/10/10" mix? It should be... and if so, that is a good unsupplemented raw food mix for your cat.

If they tell you that it's "whole prey model" (basically the whole chicken ground up and packaged) then it is too heavy in bone and too light in boneless meat and organs. You'll need to add to it.

For the cats' mixes, I add Taurine, Vitamin E, Vitamin B-Complex, Lite Salt and some egg yolks. Amounts in recipes at feline-nutrition.org and catinfo.org.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it is just for dogs it may be to fatty for cats? I have always understood that dogs do just fine on cat food but, the reverse is not true. Cats do not more taurine and thiamine.I am lousy at these charts , I can tell you exactly how much of each supplement to add to 5 lbs of ground meat and organs but I am useless otherwise. Maybe you can compare that dog food to the label on raw cat food and that would tell you is it matches up.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is just for dogs it may be to fatty for cats? I have always understood that dogs do just fine on cat food but, the reverse is not true. Cats do not more taurine and thiamine.I am lousy at these charts , I can tell you exactly how much of each supplement to add to 5 lbs of ground meat and organs but I am useless otherwise. Maybe you can compare that dog food to the label on raw cat food and that would tell you is it matches up.
If anything, cats need more fat than dogs, and some supplements added to the 80/10/10 "basic" ratio for either cats or dogs. Currently, I'm having to make two separate 80/10/10's for my two cats: a low-fat, low calorie for my overweight senior cat and a fattier mix for my kitten. The dog's 80/10/10 is sort of in the middle of the amount of fat he eats. Fat is considered part of the 80% "boneless meat" in a raw diet, and sometimes needs to be tailored a bit.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quick math conversion on kcals:

35.274 oz in 1 kg
1468.08 kcals
41.62 kcals/ounce

That looks pretty good for a "typical" cat or dog who doesn't need to gain or lose weight. I'm trying to get my senior's low-cal mixes below 35 kcals/oz, but my growing kitten's mixes are around 45 kcals/oz. My dog is at a good weight, so I'm not counting the calories in his meat/bones/organ meals right now. Plus, he just gets whole pieces of meat and/or meat with bone and a couple of organ "side dishes" a couple times a week, not a ground mix. His ratios get balanced by the end of the week. Dogs are easy. :p

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well then, in that case I guess TCS can just delete the long-running "Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food" forum...in which we happen to be conversing. :spew:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, propaganda aside, bashing what people choose to feed our cats is against the board rules. Raw feeders can't go to the General Nutrition section and say, "I would never feed my cat a processed 'cat food' diet. Too many risks"... even though many of us believe that statement to be the real truth.