Raw And Pets With Allergies

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my girl is allergic to turkey, fish, think chicken. Would you just assume allergic to all birds if allergic to turkey.

She can't handle whole carcass.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
My question for people who say my cat is allergic to several different kinds of proteins is always “are you sure?”

Protein allergies are actually quite rare in cats.

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet says that most cats who have allergies to turkey or chicken do well on duck. That hasn't been the case for Smokey (duck was worse), but it may be different in your case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately yes. I would love for her to eat turkey without issues.

She was on acana six fishes. I got her at 2 years old. I believe at times she got acana chicken before that. She was known for having a sensitive stomach. She would fart and get runny poop. I added in tummyworks probiotic and sovereign labs colostrum. It calmed a little then got worse. Her lip swelled. She proceeded to rip her hair out as she scratched. This happened with orv without the supplements, pulled them for 6 weeks. She went to the vet he cleaned where she cut herself open from scratching. She got an antibiotic shot. He said it was food allergies. Was offered science diet hydrolized. Said no.

Acana has like 45 things in it. I switched her to a limited pea and duck. No real improvement (gave it months). Added supplements back. A little help. So i decided to change brands and change her to canned. So natures instinct LID was added. She ate some duck but was bored before the case finished. I was giving zyrtec as recommended by the vet this entire time. She wasn't making great process. I then bought venison. She hated it. Then I got turkey. She liked it. But we stayed the same with constant need of zyrtec. I changed to rabbit. She started getting better. 4-6 months after on rabbit i decided to go slowly change her to raw.

Did massive research. I had to come up with a way to do fish oil without a reaction. Found micronized distillation to filter the protein molecules from the fish oil. So she went on whole carcass rabbit. She started doing better. I accept that there's still a chance of environmental allergies. Basically she needed zyrtec less. I tested a tiny piece of fish. Wanted to be sure. Her lip swelled and she started pulling hair out. She was having issues with the fur in whole carcass so i changed her to rabbit without fur.

So after a few months I wanted to test turkey. It was hare today and her lip swelled then the scratching and ripping of the hair began. Dosed with zyrtec for a while. She calmed and I tried her with a piece of rare beef. This was a few months later. No reaction. So i made A rabbit beef mix and not a problem. Waited a few months and went with pork. I mixed it with beef. No reaction. There would be occasional allergies due to weather but she wasn't living on zyrtec. She stopped farting. Random diarrhea stopped. No need for the supplements

So unfortunately she's allergic to turkey, fish and assuming chicken. I use the exact mix of supplements. No treats.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I tested regular fish oil on her food. Lip
Swelled, scratching and pulled hair out. Each allergy other than chicken was checked with 6-8 weeks in between. Then time off and try something else. Varifty by multiple testing of different forms of the same Protein.

I have allergies and stuck with elimination testing with time in between to be sure. Raw settled her stomach. She stopped farting. The supplements helped but not close to Raw.

I'm cautious trying new proteins. Has this been a pain? Yes. It's also hard when she's handing you the hair. It's nerve wracking. I ordered a small amount of mutton since she's probably never had it.

Last edited:

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wanted to add I changed laundry detergent to Molly suds. Only vinegar for fabric softener. No perfumes for me. I did my best to make it a clear double test on the substance thought to be an allergy. While I spend a lot on raw it's not as bad as limited ingredient LID rabbit. That was really expensive. My local vet techs have gotten a lot of canned food that didn't work out.

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could try a little bit of raw duck or quail, if you want to test if her allergies extend beyond turkey and chicken, though you did mention above that the LID duck wasn't an improvement.

If she does ok on the mutton, you could try lamb as well. Where I live, its easier to find than mutton. When we switched to raw lamb in May, Smokey went from scratching herself bloody and vomiting multiple hairballs a week to significantly reduced scratching and hairball free for 2 months now!

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I order from hare today and didn't see lamb. I would be interested in that. I'll check my next order. Quail might be down the road. Any new protein I try keeping a 6-8 week distance. Making sure an allergy reaction isn't mistaken.

I don't think she's had lamb or mutton. The LID duck she didn't like. She didn't care for that or venison. The vet near me is actually reasonable. I made sure the vet techs there got The Canned I couldn't use. after living in a big city they don't act like it's all about the money. They actually refuse to do certain things.

I'm glad smokey is doing so much better. Unfortunately I think the idea of allergies being rare went away when kibble became a common food.