ravenous suddenly

metropical

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
suddenly Owen is a ravenous mad man.
Same food, 25% DIY Alnutrin.
the rest Wellness.
I'm just barely back to work after being his butler for 18 months.
I wonder if this is behavioral.
Stool test neg.
Blood test neg for diabetes and thyroid.
Anyone ever experience this?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is your cat? Was a fructosamine test done to rule out diabetes? The blood glucose test included with routine blood work is not a good indicator of diabetes or not. How is the litter box use? Cats with diabetes or thyroid or kidney issues often flood the litter box with large amounts of pee often. Diabetic cat pee is sugary smelling and the clumps are very sticky to cleanly scoop out.

Behavioral issues could be a possibility. Cats don't like their routine to be disrupted and they're slow to adjust.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

metropical

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
litter box use normal. Diabetes was ruled out. Perhaps the sudden change of routine is blowing his mind

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats just don't do well with change. You didn't say how old he is, or the other parameters about his blood tests. You also didn't say how his feeding routines have changed between when you were at home all the time and now that you are going back to work. He could simply be not happy with the feeding routine being changed. If nothing else, you could consider timed feeders to accommodate a more parallel to the feeding routines he was used to when you were at home all the time. Also, if he was used to noise when you were home that he doesn't have now, consider timed TV and/or music throughout the day. This is probably all part of his response to the changes he is going through, and food is usually a big 'consolation' factor response.

metropical

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
10. Feeding definitely changed while I'm back to work which is what makes me think it's behavioral.
I only feed wet, so timed isn't a good idea. His blood came back neg for diabetes and thyroid. I trust my vet for 25 years.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canned / wet food can be used in programmable timed feeders such as this:

The picture shows dry food but you can absolutely put canned / wet food inside. Canned / wet food t is cooked so it doesn't go bad unless you live in a tropical environment and have no air conditioning. Some feeders have ice pack features. You can also freeze canned food into portion sizes and put the froze chunks into the feeder to slowly defrost.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

metropical

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
interesting. I'll look at that. thnaks.