Ratio Of Wet To Dry Food?

eukomos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Those who feed your cats both wet and dry food, what amount of their diet is wet and dry? Is it like 50/50, or a little wet food at meal times but they mostly eat try, or mostly wet food with some kibble in puzzle balls to keep them occupied? Something else? How did you decide?

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After two years Elfie will finally eat one can of wet food a day. Was a long road of giving up/persisting/trying again :headshake: She eats dry in the morning and wet at night, and I'm currently mixing half wet and half dry for dinner. So as of right now it's exactly 50/50, maybe 40/60 dry if she leaves the wet portion of her dinner.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh and breakfast/full dry meal is always in a puzzle ball or food maze thing!

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm doing 50/50. I'm feeding 3 times a day. Half of a 3oz can or 1/3 of a 5.5oz can of wet food around 9am and again around 5pm then I give 1/4 cup dry right before I go to bed around 10pm so she can eat overnight if desired.
My cat was free fed dry up until just a few months ago. I found this site and realized how much better wet food was for her so we started adding it into her diet. I settled on 50/50 for both budget and convenience. I just cannot afford to feed 100% wet and I like her to accept some dry so if I know I won't be home at a usual meal time, I have the option of leaving dry out before I go.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe 50/50? I keep portioning out a 5.5 oz can over the day in a split dish where I think we put out 1/4 cup of kibble per day. Maybe a little more kibble. Maybe a little more can. It's hard to keep track when there are two adults doing this. The kibble is really low carb and calorically dense. It's for 2 girls weighing 9 1/2 and 10 1/4 lbs. Tonight Yue told me the food wasn't very fresh so I washed everything out and reset it with canned and kibble and she's happily licking the wet food. Eventually I would like to try them on a small batch of homemade chicken vs tinned food because it costs so much less. The boys eat it. They get rabbit and turkey.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I mostly feed wet, splitting a 5oz in half so I feed my cat in the morning & afternoon. At night I give about 1/4 cup of dry food.

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I mostly feed wet, splitting a 5oz in half so I feed my cat in the morning & afternoon. At night I give about 1/4 cup of dry food.
That's just about exactly what I'm doing. A 5 or 5.5 oz can of grain-free high-protein food split between breakfast and supper, then about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of Nature's Variety Ultimate Protein overnight, depending on the calorie content of her canned variety for the day, which she doesn't often finish. She's about 1 year old and her intake is about 220 calories per day.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Assuming that you are feeding a good quality grain free food to a healthy cat who drinks well, then you can feed whatever ratio fits your budget and preferences. If your cat has hydration issues, however, you really should maximize the wet food.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You may consider adding water to the wet food, if your cat accept it. I would add roughly 1:1=water:food if you do 50/50 dry/wet, so that s/he would have similar water intake to feeding all wet.

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Each of my 2 cats gets half of a 3 oz can in morning, another half of 3 oz can at dinner, then shortly before bed they split a Nutro or Sheba perfect portion (they each get half of the 1.3 oz container) for a small snack, then each get 1/4th of a cup of dry food for overnight, so i guess something like a 60/40 wet-dry ratio

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I only feed them once a day right now, but at some point would like to feed them at least twice a day. But for now they get one cat gets 1/4 cup dry food and half of a 5.5 oz can or one 3 oz can and then the other cat get's 1/8 cup dry topped with air dried raw food and either half of 5.5 oz can or one 3 oz can. Both of them get water added to the wet food. Right now it is about 50/50 for budget purposes. If I had just one cat, I would be feeding all wet probably.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my cat 1 can of wet food twice daily, and then have dry kibble to graze on 24/7.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1/4 cup dry and fresh water in the morning (then im leaving for work). 1/8 cup dry after work. another 1/8 cup of dry around 8pm. Quarter of a can (mixed with a little bit of warm water and sometime mashed pumpkin)at 10pm before going to bed. I used to free feed them dry food. My 13 years old is overweight. Not free feeding her helped a lot.

Last edited:

Evie's Mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed each cat 3oz of wet food in the morning and then another 3oz around supper time, sometimes later depending on when I finish work. I leave out about 1/4 cup of dry food for them to graze on during the day and then another 1/4 cup at night.

wasabii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine get 3oz wet food in the morning mixed with water, a random treat around 2-3pm, and 1/4 cup dry food at night. And they have a water fountain.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm doing 50/50. I'm feeding 3 times a day. Half of a 3oz can or 1/3 of a 5.5oz can of wet food around 9am and again around 5pm then I give 1/4 cup dry right before I go to bed around 10pm so she can eat overnight if desired.
My cat was free fed dry up until just a few months ago. I found this site and realized how much better wet food was for her so we started adding it into her diet. I settled on 50/50 for both budget and convenience. I just cannot afford to feed 100% wet and I like her to accept some dry so if I know I won't be home at a usual meal time, I have the option of leaving dry out before I go.
One major concern of dry food is cat may not get enough water, which might be achieved by adding water to WET food if you do mix feeding. If you do 50/50 dry/wet, for example, you may add equal volume of H2O to the wet food to compensate the shortage in dry. My cat would accept soupy wet food with up to 2:1 water:food. :)

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One major concern of dry food is cat may not get enough water, which might be achieved by adding water to WET food if you do mix feeding. If you do 50/50 dry/wet, for example, you may add equal volume of H2O to the wet food to compensate the shortage in dry. My cat would accept soupy wet food with up to 2:1 water:food. :)
I think I am actually going to be moving to 100% wet once this bag of dry I have is gone. I found a good compromise for my budget and I've read up more on how long people leave wet food out, automatic feeders and how meal times don't have to be exact every day so I think I can make it work. I do add water to her wet food already, though it's no where near 2:1, she won't eat it that soupy. I add maybe 1 tbsp. water to half a can of food.

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would love to feed only wet food, but I think both of my cats would plot to murder me in my sleep if I took away their night time crunchy food!

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would love to feed only wet food, but I think both of my cats would plot to murder me in my sleep if I took away their night time crunchy food!
:lol: My cat is the opposite. She's very much in love with wet food. She was free fed dry for over 9 years but she took to wet food right away! I had NO problem adding wet into her diet and now she prefers it. She never finishes her 1/4c. dry I leave out overnight any more but acts like she is starving in the morning when it's time for wet food!

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My girl gets 4 oz raw per day. Nothing else! Don't believe in dry but will give her a piece or two for a treat on rare occasions when I have it for the foster babies.