RASH??

puffy1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Puffy has been suffering from some mysterious skin infection for the past four months. A biopsy was sent to the UofPenn and came back negative. No sign of viral or bacterial infections. The vet-dermatologist diagnosed him with some type of food allergy and he is on a low allergin food now. In the meantime, he has this extensive rash on his head and neck, a patch on his back, and areas on his inner legs and belly. I've been treating the rash with aloe vera with good results, but he is still itching and throws up large fur balls every week or so. HELP!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the fir balls are from the hair coming out. Theres not much you can do except give some hairball medicine to help ease it through. The allergies I might look into a bit. Usually within a few weeks you will see results with the food switch. I dont know what this vet did to find the problem. Low allergin could mean anything, it depends on what the cat is allergic to. They can do tests to find out exactly what is aggrivating the skin. If you dont see results, you might want to look into another vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puffy1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Sandie; I'll get some of the hairball medicine. He does seem to be improving after four weeks of the new food.