Rash/Sores on face and backs of ears

chellma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Blackstone, 17 months  old, neutered indoor outdoor cat has a rash/sores on his face and the backs of his ears. He has had this all Summer.  I didn't notice it in cold weather.     My vet has done a fungal culture which was not definitive and a skin scraping, which was negative.  He has had 2 rounds of antibiotics and is currently on Prednisolone and Micazole Lotion.  Nothing is having any effect. The lotion makes him whine and does no good.    He does not seem to be itching or  in pain, unless I put the lotion on him.  I am wondering if any other people have seen this and have suggestions.  My vets are top of the line and have not seen it.  I  am worried  sick about my baby boy.   There are 4 other cats in the household, including his litter mate and they are fine.  Any advice would be appreciated.  

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awww...poor guy!

could you try keeping him indoors only, and see if that helps clear up the rash? my thought is that since your vet hasn't been able to figure out what's causing the rash, maybe it's something your boy is coming in contact with outdoors...? it might be worth trying. and those two areas are the only areas on your boy that have the rash?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chellma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have tried to keep Blackstone in at night, and he is OK up to a point and then he starts hassling the other cats and throwing himself against the windows and storm door and I am afraid if I don't let him out he will hurt himself or another cat.  I am still working on it.  Yes,    the face and back of his ears are all that is affected.  

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have tried to keep Blackstone in at night, and he is OK up to a point and then he starts hassling the other cats and throwing himself against the windows and storm door and I am afraid if I don't let him out he will hurt himself or another cat.  I am still working on it.  Yes,    the face and back of his ears are all that is affected.  
have you thought about adding an outdoor cat enclosure for blackstone? there are ones you can buy, but they can be made too. an outdoors enclosure that blackstone has access to coming from indoors would provide a controlled outdoors experience for him. he'd be much less likely to come into contact with possible irritants in his enclosure, and he'd be safe from predators/other cats/dogs/etc. it might be something you'd want to consider.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chellma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your suggestion. I would like to have an enclosure for the cats,  but have not as yet figured out how to do it.  I have a fenced yard that the cats will stay in and feral quarters that have housed many a feral family over the last 35 years.    This needs to be updated, but I am elderly and living on Social Security and find it a strain to do anything.  Blackstone was in tonight,  just laying on the table like a house cat.  He may decide on his own that these are pretty nice digs.  I hope so.