Rash really red and itchy

Tonkerbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi my cat has recently got a rash under his belly towards the back hes constantly licking it . I have put flea stuff on him although he never hhad them hes well in himself just constantly licking at it

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This may not be fleas, although it is good to apply a safe flea preparation in order to prevent them. Rashes can have a lot of causes such as allergies or other skin conditions. Do you have a pic or any further description that you can provide? If this looks at all serious, oozy or bloody, or if it is driving the cat crazy, you probably need to see a vet. This should not be a huge vet bill if it is a simple skin condition.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Itchy skin with a rash can indicate any number of things. Fleas, food allergy, environmental allergy, dermatitis, fungal infection, etc. The best thing to do is to take your cat to the vet for an exam and treatment.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be a reaction to the litter you're using. Have you changed brands recently?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tonkerbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I havnt changed his litter hes always used the same one

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Let us know what the vet says. I agree that looks irritating and sort of wide spread.

ATHiker95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I havnt changed his litter hes always used the same one
Did you ever find out what was causing this rash? My cat has a similar rash - even more wide spread and solid rash. Oozes. Vet says mites and gave it flea medicine with mite reduction but so far haven't seen much difference. First vet just gave it antibiotics and prednisone. That didn't do anything. 2nd vet pressed a glass side against it's tummy and looked under microscope and called it mites. Just wondering how long it takes for that to heal if that is the case?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The OP has not been back to the site for a few months, so I don't know if you will get a reply.

Tonkerbell Tonkerbell

If you have already tried a couple of vets, consider a veterinary dermatologist if one is near enough to consult. It might save you time and money in the long run, in addition to helping your cat.

ATHiker95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a close up of my cat's belly. not a pretty sight to say the least. 12 year old spayed female
outside cat. very allergic to mosquitos (which haven't struck yet). Doesn't look like she has fleas. Vet suggested that she had mites

IMG_4502.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Mite Infestation (Mange, Acariasis, Scabies) of Cats - Cat Owners - Merck Veterinary Manual.

I don't know if this article will help you to narrow anything down. It suggests some treatments that you might discuss with the vet. Mites will sometimes respond to standard flea treatments which makes me wonder if it is mites. I realize you have been to two vets already. If you can't see a dermatologist, let the vet(s) know that nothing is working and ask them to try to continue on with the diagnosis.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, that looks pretty serious (and painful)! I agree with fionasmom; try to get a referral to a veterinary dermatologist -- that might really help!
:vibes::crossfingers::redheartpump: