Rare and Most Expensive Cats

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Singapuras...

There is only ONE breeder in Asia (outside of Japan) that breeds Singapuras and he is in Singapore and the president of a cat club over there and a dear friend of mine.

There are maybe 3-4 Singapura breeders in Oz and about 2 that I know of in Japan.

As for Korats...well, there may be a new Korat breeder on this board soon!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww - they are cute, but I like the one body shot of the kitten laying on the couch the best (starts with an S name).

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

If you want to see some really cute Singapura kittens, visit this link:

Warning, these are really cute kittens.

I especially like Spookipawz Vanquish

http://www.spookipawz.com/pastsingas.htm
I just LOVE Singapura's. They are just about the coolest looking cats I have ever seen.

My favourite on that page is Spookipawz Valentino Rossi, a little more than half way down the page. Look at that little buggers eyes. Even by Singapura standards, that little cutie has enormous eyes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the input, I look forward to meeting some of you at future cat shows... After reading all your advise and input I am ready to start flushing some money down the drain... I love cats though so its worth it..

amaranth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not a breeder, but I was wondering if you know the costs of breeding. It should be done out of love for the breed, and not for profit. The breeders that I know did not go into breeding until they had already had cats for several years at least, and had fallen in love with a particular breed. From what I have heard, even breeders who breed the most expensive cats make little to no money from it, after vet bills and all of the other costs that reputable breeding requires. It is a big decision, so it's nice to see that you are being patient and doing your research.

Edit: I was just looking at some of your other posts, and noticed that you've already had a discussion about the costs of breeding, so sorry for the repetition!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by swate

Thanks for all the input, I look forward to meeting some of you at future cat shows... After reading all your advise and input I am ready to start flushing some money down the drain... I love cats though so its worth it..
It is nice to see you doing research! Good for you!
I think if you want to travel to shows, breed, and live with these cats on a daily basis, don't go only for what is rare - go with what you like, can live with, and cats that will bring you the most joy every day.
The different breeds have different requirements and different personalities. Some are more talkative, some need more grooming than others, long hair, short hair, some have special needs, some have certain hereditary health problems you need to be aware of, some are larger more substantial cats, some are more fragile, some have tons of energy and will require more work on your part to keep them happy activity wise, others are content as lap cats, some are more social, some NEED attention and will be your shadow all the time, etc. There are lots of factors to consider...
Then from there you have research pedigrees, know what problems to avoid, it might be helpful for you to get a mentor in the breed you are interested in for a couple of years before you jump into things.
The more specific you are, the more people can help...

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My suggestion is not to worry about how rare the breed is,  just go with the breed that ignites your passion for it. I have Persians, the second most registered breed, but I picked a fairly difficult color to work with so you don't see a lot of them in the show halls. Best to attend as many shows as you can and get known by the breeders showing the different breeds. Learn about the different breeds. While I LOVE the look of some other breeds, I don't know that I would ever have one since I am totally devoted to the Persian personality. The main thing is to learn about the health issues the chosen breed could have. As for Turkish Angoras, I happen to know 2 breeders within 150 miles of me so I don't consider them rare. We also have a Singapura breeder close by, but no Korat breeders that I know of. I think it just depends on your location. The same goes for the pricing - a pet silver Persian for instance,  around here goes for around $700, down south $450 and out west can be as much as $1200. I know you didn't ask about profits, but let me tell you that there are none to be made breeding. I did it for about 10 years (retired from breeding now)and spent WAY more than the few kittens I have sold brought in. I did it because I love the breed and love to show. My objective in breeding was to have cats to show.

Last edited:

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, I had no idea Korats were so rare. I have a friend who owned one and it was one of the few pedigreed cats I've ever met. 

rubythecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I LOVE turkish angoras. They are a beautiful cat. I have owned two so far (I am on my second one) they are a healthy cat with a great personality. Mine have both liked water too :)

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am a bit bothered by this topic. If you pick a breed mainly because it's rare and most expensive, you are breeding for the wrong purposes.

Our goal is not to multiply or make money. We pick a breed because we love it and want to add to it. It's character, things that make the breed special. I, for example, breed Siberian cats because they are hypoallergenic and can help people with allergies. I am allergic to cats but thanks to my breed, I get to have my own cats. I am happy I can help other families like this too. Their character is amazing and I love their looks and want to contribute.

Please consider other things as well, besides rarity and price. And be prepared to pay more than you recive. It's an expensive hobby, but those little happy kittens and those thankful families make it all worth it.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I am a bit bothered by this topic. If you pick a breed mainly because it's rare and most expensive, you are breeding for the wrong purposes.

Our goal is not to multiply or make money. We pick a breed because we love it and want to add to it. It's character, things that make the breed special. I, for example, breed Siberian cats because they are hypoallergenic and can help people with allergies. I am allergic to cats but thanks to my breed, I get to have my own cats. I am happy I can help other families like this too. Their character is amazing and I love their looks and want to contribute.

Please consider other things as well, besides rarity and price. And be prepared to pay more than you recive. It's an expensive hobby, but those little happy kittens and those thankful families make it all worth it.
I fortunately don't have any cat allergies and think that it's great how there are some breeds that are hypoallergenic, so that even people with allergies can experience the wonderful companionship that cats provide. You're breeding for all the right reasons. :)