rapid weight gain

tiggeytoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Little Ferris isn`t so little, any more. He has been gaining weight in leaps and bounds. We have cut back the amound of food we give him to 1/2-3/4 cups a day. We used to let them just self feed all day. That worked for the other cats, but not for Ferris. Even though he has been cut back in his food intake, he continues to gain weight. It is all in the belly. He is a pear shaped cat. He is small in body structure, but is pear shaped, and when you pick him up you are surprised by how heavy he is. I am afaraid he has something wrong with him. He was found, last year starving and near death. I wonder if perhaps there is some liver damage or something that causes him to bloat. He is also poorly coordinated...especially in the rear section. We also fear a tumor. He shows no pain when you press at his belly, though. He goes for his annual vet appointment in about 2 weeks. We are very concerned about his health. Although he is bright and lovable, and does not appear to have any pain we wonder if there is something wrong with him. Ferris does not eat any human food, andrarely eats canned food.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yikes, I hope he's okay! There are a handful of things that can cause these symtoms. I would make sure and write everything down and take it to the vet with you. It helps when you can give them a more accurate timeline and list of symtoms. I will be crossing my fingers for him. Make sure and let us know how the visit goes.