Random question on size differences

Sushismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so I’m so so sorry if this is in the wrong place I really wasn’t sure where to post it.

But I’m curious on the size differences of my two kittens. The biggest is definitely the oldest at almost 6 months but the other kitten is only a month younger than him. He’s never been even close to the same size though it’s a lot closer now than it was before. Is it something that’ll just even out as they mature or is the older one just going to be a bigger cat? Their weight is way different too the oldest is hefty not over weight but you pick him up and you can feel the heft and solidness of him. The younger one is super light compared to the older.
The box is one of the favorite sleep spots together for them lately.

Attachments

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know your kitties' parents? Do you know if they were big cats for the older one, and smaller cats for the younger one?
It's not a solid rule, but cats might copy their parents's sizes.

My older cat has grown up a quite bigger cat than I thought, and her parents are big cats. Luckily she hasn't got as big as them, I like small sized cat :)
The other my cat is a year younger, but in my opinion she's smaller than the other was at the same age, and her mother is a small cat.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My two are not related.... Link is 16 to 17 pounds while Rocket is 7 to 8 pounds, literally half his weight.

20191125_193705.jpg
Screenshot_20210416-045108_Instagram.jpg

She is a dainty little thing that you barely feel when she jumps on you, while he is a gentle giant who always makes the vet go "oaf" when they pick up his carrier. I always warn them that he is heavier then he looks. And I know she looks like a kitten so before someone says she may grow into her eyes or get a little bigger, she's 4 years old in these photos.

Cats come in all shapes and sizes. Based on those paw photos, I'm going to guess your two will always be one big and one little.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sushismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank y’all! I figured it was probably a genetic thing but I over worry about things sometimes.
No idea on parents for them both were random kittens that just kinda dropped into our laps. The older one was dropped off with his littermates at my next door neighbors and the younger was literally on the side of a busy road while we were out walking.
Your two kitties are so cute Kieka!!! I’m looking forward to seeing how big mine get and you are probably right on the sizing one will always be bigger than the other.

SantoJenMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Keep in mind, male cats tend to be larger than females regardless of cat breeds.

SantoJenMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also keep in mind,even if the kittens are from the same litter, they could have different biological fathers. If the father possessed larger cat genes like Rag doll or Maine Coin, the kitten tends to be larger.

If it's nutrient related as one nipple gives more milk than others, you will be able to correct it. Note if the little one is getting enough food. If the other one steals food you may have to feed them separately or be there to monitor while they eat.

But they look like they get along, so I doubt that.