Random patches of long hair??

Chloet1808

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to their kitties before. My little girl Tuba is just over a year old, so she should be well and truly an adult by now and is now starting to grow small patches of long hair. At the moment the patches are very thin and there’s not a lot of them but they are noticeable. Mostly around one side of the back of her neck and on the tops of the back of her ears. Is this something that requires a trip to the vet? The hairs are significantly longer than her regular coat. It’s hard to take a pic as they are white and don’t show up well in photos. Has anyone else had this happen to one of their cats?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
She may be a cat that matures later on. You could set up a black background and photograph her in front of and/or on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chloet1808

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was able to get a photo of her ears but it’s near impossible to get a photo of the back of her neck (you see about 4 in the photo but there is more on the other side), between her moving constantly and her having a white patch on the underside of her neck. so in photos it looks like the hairs are a part of that white patch but they are actually on the grey/brown when you see her in person and longer than the hairs in the white patch. If that makes any sense at all!
I’m not too worried about it I just think it’s really strange that all these long hairs are popping up out of nowhere. it looks like there are a few coming up around her shoulders and back too that I didn’t notice before and on her chest (but that has always been a bit longer than the rest of her coat). She is a very small cat, we think she may have been stunted as she came from a very bad home and we know nothing about the parents. So it could be very possible that she is a late maturer, she didn’t get her adult teeth until about 7-8 months old so it wouldn’t surprise me if she is still maturing.
F98AE418-C9CF-4270-93D3-6A6D7D22CE20.jpeg
736F2A2E-873E-468C-8884-F409EA7EBFBB.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, you take good photos!
I'm thinking that what is happening is genetic. However, let me see if I can ask one of the experts :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chloet1808

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh that’s interesting I never even knew that existed. And yes, it seems that all the long hairs are white in colour. A majority of them are all together around her neck and shoulders and the tips of her ears but there are some random ones here and there throughout her back and tail

ceejay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to their kitties before. My little girl Tuba is just over a year old, so she should be well and truly an adult by now and is now starting to grow small patches of long hair. At the moment the patches are very thin and there’s not a lot of them but they are noticeable. Mostly around one side of the back of her neck and on the tops of the back of her ears. Is this something that requires a trip to the vet? The hairs are significantly longer than her regular coat. It’s hard to take a pic as they are white and don’t show up well in photos. Has anyone else had this happen to one of their cats?
My 1+ year old kitty has a small patch of long hair growing on her left hip!
…I assume it’s genetic?? It’s very soft- like the undercoat just kept growing!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems normal. My cats have them too, as well as most cats I've had.

One I have now gets a tuft of maybe eight or ten hairs that grow out of her ear furnishings. They get perhaps four inches long over the winter, then fall out in the spring. Makes her look funny.