Random Music Question From The 1960s

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is driving me nuts!

Does anyone remember a song called White Cliffs of Dover sung by a man probably around the time of the early British Invasion? I don't know if he was British or not, but that was the general time period I think.

I have been Googling and can't find it. I loved that song, and it's just driving me batty that I can't remember who sang it.

jennifurr

To err is human, to purr is feline
Young Cat
Purraise
Do any of these come to mind, I'm not so sure, either.

The Checkers, an American group, released an R&B version of the song in 1953 which became very popular. Other artists who have recorded the song include Connie Francis, Bing Crosby, Ray Conniff, Jim Reeves, Acker Bilk, The Righteous Brothers, Bert Kaemfert and The Hot Sardines on their debut album released in 2014.[2] The 1990s pop duo Robson & Jerome recorded the song as the B side of their U.K. No. 1 hit single "Unchained Melody." The Jive Aces released a swing version in 2005 (similar to Acker Bilk's arrangement)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, unfortunately. I've already listened to many of those versions and they are not what I am remembering. It was definitely the 1960s, and pretty sure a British singer. I keep thinking Cliff Richards but can't find him connected to that song, so I guess not. But thank you for trying!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's this one:
Closest I've come to what I remember it sounding like, but I would never have guessed the Righteous Brothers! 1966 sounds about right time frame.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you thinking of Jim Reeves version? Sort of country. Also known as There'll be blue birds over.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, definitely not Jim Reeves, but thanks.
I've been listening to every version I can find and the closest to what I remember is the Righteous Brothers.