Random cat making our cats scared?

Self

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've had our 2 outdoor cats, Sweetie and Irish, since about 2006, - since they were kittens. Recently it seems a stray cat has started stealing their food and also basically freaking them out maybe. They're not eating normal, even if we sit right there.
Sweetie and Irish are neutered. I was wondering if they've somehow allowed this cat, who is larger than them, to be dominant or something. Of course when we see this other cat we run it off.
Sweetie and Irish are usually extremely cautious anyway. I don't know if they've had harrowing experiences or what. But if they hear a dog very far off in the distance, they're reacting to it. I mean really far off. And they are generally thinking about what is going on danger wise. You can just see it. But not in the middle of the day when you're sitting outside with them. They're just normal, sweetheart cats.
Anyway, after all these years their not moving into the house. Irish has an apt outside with a deck, that's built off the top of an old swing set frame. And Sweetie seems to prefer the roof. This winter they've been using a sleep number bed on the porch a lot. (A heated pad of which the heat can be set from 1 to 6.)

I doubt there's any tricks re this little issue. But I thought I'd throw it out there, in case anyone had any ideas. We're rural. We sit on raw land. My husband plans on hitting the cat with a tossed rock. I think the cat belongs to somebody. I don't think it's hurting for food. Just adventurous and bored. And loves to eat.
At this point I'm just hoping this issue will pass and Sweetie and Irish will adapt to the visitor, or maybe one of you have the solution.
Thanks.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think this new cat is probably feral, or someone's outdoor cat that isn't getting enough to eat at home, or a pet that has been dumped.

Cat's won't usually venture out of their own territory unless they need something. Food or a mate or a warmer place to sleep, etc. If you have food outside and shelters this cat is going to keep coming back. Throwing rocks at him isn't going to make any difference. It's just cruel, and it will make the cat wary of humans and even more difficult for you to deal with.

The best thing to do would be to trap this cat with a humane trap, have him scanned for a chip and then get him neutered if he doesn't belong to anyone. I'm saying him, but if this is a female cat it's even more important that you get her trapped and spayed. If she's decided your house is a good place to hang out and she isn't spayed you'll have another six or seven cats by the summer.

If all the cats are spayed/neutered then it's going to be a lot easier for Sweetie and Irish to accept the new comer.

Here's an article on TNR, which might help.

Everything You Need To Know About Tnr (trap-neuter-release) – TheCatSite Articles

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Given that Sweetie and Irish are neutered and elderly, they are at the social basement of cat society, so they are deferring to his cat for those reasons as well, along with their own instincts to be cautious. I agree that getting this cat scanned and fixed is the best solution.