Random cat at doorstep. Won’t leave. Please help

INeedHelp1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, yesterday this random cat shows up out of nowhere and is constantly meowing at my door and looking through my window. Normally I would find this cute but it makes my cat (Bella) mad and she hissed that this new random cat. This random cat (let’s call him Marco) meows at my window seal in the middle of the night too. I do not know who’s the owner of Marco, maybe he is a stray. One time I opened my door to see what Marco looked like and he walked straight into my house. Please, I don’t know what to do and my cat Bella does not like him.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first thought was do you want another cat? It sounds like you just got one! 🤣

That said, the way things are going, poorly! Bella is bound to be stressed out by an intruder on her turf, looking through the window, stressing her.

Do you have a spare bedroom? If so, lock Bella in your room, and pick up random kitty. Then place random kitty in the spare bedroom & let Bella out. The next day, swing by your vet (or make an appointment) and have them check to see if he is microchipped. Sometimes cats get lost or abandoned. If he is a neighborhood cat, then get his microchip number & have them come pick him up (to make sure he has a home.) Then you can get motion activated sprinklers to keep him off her turf. If he doesn’t have a home you can look for a no kill shelter or try to find him a new home. It took us 18 months to find Buddy a new home (the no kill shelter was full every month!) ⭐He was cat aggressive & needed to be an only cat.

Bella may like having a brother, after months of slow introductions. 🤷🏻‍♀️

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was most likely dumped and is obviously scared and very hungry. I had many of them show up where I used to live, and most were killed on the street because they were not used to the new environment they were in. Cats that are abandoned are desperate, he smelled/saw your cat and knew he could get help with you. He will most likely starve if you chase him off and he can't find someone to help him. If you can't/won't go through a lengthy introduction with your cat, please try to find him a home or take him to a no-kill shelter. Sometimes I get on the radio shows that do those for sell/wanted shows and have luck, people hear a sad story like that and step in. Facebook has found the home or a new one for many cats too. Your cat will eventually get used to his presence through the window if he stays outside. It would take a while though. I have made many outside homes for strays and they are pathetically grateful. I'm so sorry you have to go through this, I know the sinking feeling I got when another would show up......,

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then the thing to do is to try to help him, feed him, give him shelter, and try your hardest to find a home for him, which is about as popular as giving away a snake. Maybe even harder. A no-kill shelter (you might have to wait for an opening) and Facebook is your best bet. I found homes for many cats on facebook's For sale in your area. They often take it down for not being allowed, but people still see it in the small amount of time it is up. I personally found that out. what gets me is I see puppies on there long term all the time?! Maybe ask a dollar for him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

INeedHelp1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, yesterday this random cat shows up out of nowhere and is constantly meowing at my door and looking through my window. Normally I would find this cute but it makes my cat (Bella) mad and she hissed that this new random cat. This random cat (let’s call him Marco) meows at my window seal in the middle of the night too. I do not know who’s the owner of Marco, maybe he is a stray. One time I opened my door to see what Marco looked like and he walked straight into my house. Please, I don’t know what to do and my cat Bella does not like him.
UPDATE: this seems very inhuman and I feel very bad for doing this but I put a paper collar of it with a message inside so if it happens to go home, Marcos owner will read it. I feel nerdy sad though as it looks bad in him. Also I did follow Marco twice last night as it looked like he was leading me somewhere. Also it seems like he only appears at night and in the early morning. I’m afraid to feed him and give him water as my place is
Small and having him come over all the time for that will surly stress out Bella. Note, it is also winter where I live and gets very cold.
Note: this is random but I let the cat inside my house more so I know what it wants and Marco isn’t scared of my cat (Bella). Bella seems scared if Marco

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A tote with blankets in it and wrapped around it to leave a smaller opening would be appreciated. He most likely could have been left behind when someone moved. if you can manage to follow him back to where he comes from you could ask around the neighborhood and find out what is going on. That's a good idea! Bella is female and doesn't like to share as most females are. As long as she doesn't start peeing outside the box or spraying, it is going well. He most likely won't hurt her, he is trying to get her to like him!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can he be your porch cat until you can get him to a no kill shelter? That cat Buddy I talked about? Just showed up one day during the housing crisis in 2008, chomping on the reformed feral’s dry food in the garage.

Can you leave out dry food, water for him? Maybe even cut a door into a large lidded plastic tub (and sand it) then give him a blanket or towel in it. If it is on a covered porch it will stay dry & help him stay warm. Until you find him a no kill shelter.

INeedHelp1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will see if I can do that!im only worried as my cat Bella won’t go outside

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dunno why everyone is assuming he is a stray. If he looks well fed and well cared for, he might just have learned to beg. Some cats have multiple houses where they get fed. One of my neighbor's (collar-less) cats showed great interest in coming in our house for years. Cat might just want to add your place to his house-harem.

If he looks well fed, I'd have zero problems tossing a cup full of water his way and shout a bit. You'll probably miss, the neighbors will think your a nut, and none of it will likely do much anyway, but there might be a chance you can discourage him. More reliable solutions include closing the shades so Bella can't see him, or buying a motion-activated sprinkler.

INeedHelp1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! He looks average weight and isn’t dirty. There is a good chance he is not a stray. Last night I did put a paper collar on him (loose) with a note written in it so the possible owner would see it. This morning the collar was off. So possibly the owner did see it or the cat took it off. But thank you for your advice. I would just feel bad tossing a cup of water on it but if it will keep that cat away then I’ll try it. I also use a broom to nudge it away but it also doesn’t seem to be working. Also note to all the readers out there, I saw this cat about 1 month ago. That was the first time I’ve ever seen Marco! And he looked like a happy cat so I think he is not a stay !!

INeedHelp1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dunno why everyone is assuming he is a stray. If he looks well fed and well cared for, he might just have learned to beg. Some cats have multiple houses where they get fed. One of my neighbor's (collar-less) cats showed great interest in coming in our house for years. Cat might just want to add your place to his house-harem.

If he looks well fed, I'd have zero problems tossing a cup full of water his way and shout a bit. You'll probably miss, the neighbors will think your a nut, and none of it will likely do much anyway, but there might be a chance you can discourage him. More reliable solutions include closing the shades so Bella can't see him, or buying a motion-activated sprinkler.
There is a curtain at my door so the cats won’t see eachother but the cat still comes up anyways. Also hearing Marco meow is so heartbreaking as I love cats and I feel guilty ignoring this one. But if I did just totally ignore Marco all together, do you think he will stop bothering us? If so, how long would that take?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a curtain at my door so the cats won’t see eachother but the cat still comes up anyways. Also hearing Marco meow is so heartbreaking as I love cats and I feel guilty ignoring this one. But if I did just totally ignore Marco all together, do you think he will stop bothering us? If so, how long would that take?
Well, I don't know. I've had some cats come around for a long time, others briefly. If you have a true winter where your at, that may stop it for the season. That neighbor's cat doesn't really come around anymore, maybe see him once or twice a season, but I don't know it was anything I did as much as him just getting older.

I know its tempting, but since he looks healthy, fed and acts like a house cat, I wouldn't pay Marco any positive attention, unless you want to put a collar and a note on him.

Your actually a bit lucky. Bella doesn't like him, but it doesn't sound like she is having a very strong reaction in the scheme of things, which some cats do. It was the same with my cats -- they would growl and hiss at the neighbor's cat through my sliding glass door but nothing too crazy. No peeing, pooping or attacking us or there fellow cat friend, all stuff that happens.

Bananna4444

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Suggest making a temporary collar out of something, I think you can make paper ones. Obviously ensuring it can't hurt him and attach a note saying this cat has showed up at my door, if you own him please let me know. Ask your neighbours if they know who he belongs to, you might have a neighbourhood social media site or you put up a poster or something to try and find out who owns him. Bear in mind he might require a prescription diet or be on medication or something like that.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Instead of paper collars, why not make fliers with the cats picture. Like “your cat is cheating on you!” Then blanket every house within a mile. Include your phone number.

A friendly stray could be getting some handouts from other people. That was why I suggested having your vet check to see if they are microchips. If the cat is owned, I go back to motion activated sprinklers.

INeedHelp1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just want to update everyone. I followed Marco 3 times and ever time he seems to have lead me to his house. Every time. Maybe he just wants me to know where he lives. It just seems as he is very curious and goes into peoples houses. I just worried me as Marco has been out all night in the freezing cold.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you know that this is his house for certain? I have been down that route with strays like him and unless someone comes out and acknowledges the cat or lets him in, it is not certain. If he has recently lost his home, he won't necessarily look emaciated yet. Being out in very cold weather does not speak well of what is going on.