Random Balding Between Shoulder Blades.

starxbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My SO is calling the vet tomorrow morning but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced something like this before, or has any ideas on what could be the cause.

-- the cat is not on any flea medication and hasn't been for months
-- no medication at all, actually
-- indoor cat
-- no recent changes in diet or flavors

My cats obtained fleas from visiting relative's dog Nov 2016. My boy Floki quickly developed a bald patch between his shoulder blades. (One of his littermates also developed one, though smaller.) Neither had had been treated with flea medication when these spots developed. It eventually cleared up as the fleas were treated.
To the vet we went! The vet, after I explained that the cat developed the spot before receiving flea treatment, had no idea what could have caused it. Basically, wait and see what happens. He wasn't concerned however, and then it went away. Considering his littermate also had an issue, I figured it was a reaction to the fleas themselves.

Some months later, when fleas were long gone, he developed a small bald patch in the same spot. I already had his vaccine appointment set up for a few days later... the spot vanished within those few days so there was nothing to see.

Now - Little dude has a bald patch again! It must be brand new. SO touched it, said it felt a little moist/sticky but after that initial touch, nothing. Skin didn't look red/irritated at all then but does a bit now. Touching the spot doesn't bother him at all. SO thinks it looks like something could have dripped on that area, but...

If this was a once off, maybe, but... I dunno. It's too coincidental for me, this always happening in the same spot. Allergies, maybe, but I have no idea what to.

Is there anything in specific I should ask my vet about? My trusted vet retired a year and a half ago and have since then been having trouble finding a new one I really trust that seems to "know" cats. I'm hopeful about the most recent one...

I snapped a few photos to show the vet in case it vanishes again. It was the best I could get since he's so squirmy.

Attachments

cryptic

Mama to Jinx and Java
Young Cat
Purraise
My best guess is that this is a hotspot or some kind of dermatitis. However, this is where you put flea and tick drops, so who knows?
I'd ask your vet though, as I'm definitely not one! Just my best guess.