Rajah's Teeth - before and after

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Before (he was getting maybe 1/3 raw at this point)

Before (on 1/3 raw)

Two months after the original pictures

Two months after the original pictures. His top teeth on this side look much worse than the other side. But with a cat who hates having people touch his mouth I could only get the one side. He got sardines afterwards to make up for these pictures!

Rajah is fifteen and was eating all canned until I got him. He doesn't like dry so I don't know if he has had any...though I assume whomever had him before me thought he would eat it if he was hungry enough. He was 7.5 lbs when I got him a few months ago and wieghs around 12 lbs now.

alias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is some heck of an improvement. Just highlights the arguments in favour of a raw diet.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew, going into the raw diet, of the dental health maintenance benefits but I discounted the stories of dental health improvement as most likely being wishful thinking-based.

Not any more!

A year ago, my vet said my oldest cats (only about 2 years old at the time!) needed a dental cleaning; at their last visit, he half reluctantly / half admiringly admitted as to how they actually might not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I knew that raw feeding would clean a cats teeth but I didn't expect it to work that well

Hopefully he will soon have all nice white teeth

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I was going to update this thread with new pictures sometime so here goes:

As always he got to have a full can of sardines afterwards. Here is a picture to prove that:

Here is a normal picture of him taken a month or so ago:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50
Great improvement, but I wanted to bring something to your attention: I am not a dentist, but I have seen a lot and discussed Bugsy's teeth in great length with his dentist... Second tooth from the left (top) on this picture looks like it could be a Resorptive Lesion - very very painful condition.
I would take this kitty to the dentist to get it checked out... It looks just like Bugsy's FORL.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for pointing that out.

When I got him (around March) the vet gave him a clean bill of health - you would think they would have noticed something wrong then. If I feel his teeth/gums he doesn't protest at all; it is the act of restraining him that he hates. Wouldn't he act like my touching him there really hurt if it was a Resorptive Lesion?

When I started this topic I said that he hates people handling his mouth though I have found that it isn't the fact they you touch his face that he doesn't appreciate - it is that he hates having to be held still.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When I got him (around March) the vet gave him a clean bill of health - you would think they would have noticed something wrong then. If I feel his teeth/gums he doesn't protest at all; it is the act of restraining him that he hates. Wouldn't he act like my touching him there really hurt if it was a Resorptive Lesion?
Vets and dentists are quite different in that regards - Vets will not really examine your kitty's teeth, just lightly.
The picture there looks very much like it could be a RL.
You know how cats hide pain... But let me tell you something: When my dentist showed me and explained what it was, I cried because of the extreme pain it must caused Bugsy for such a long time
. I did not know he had it either...
There are different levels of RL, in some of them the nerve is exposed and in other cases, not as extreme, there is still a bit of enamel left.
As I said, I am not a dentist, but I think this is worth of visiting one if you can...
Well, just my 2 cents FWIW

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When I started this topic I said that he hates people handling his mouth though I have found that it isn't the fact they you touch his face that he doesn't appreciate - it is that he hates having to be held still.
Does your vet have email? Do you think you could email him these pics?

aly317

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel very weary for your cat. My cat biggy had dental work done, and the spots in which shots were injected ended up being infected with cancerous tumors. I read up online that this can definitely happen, so even when you think all his dental work is done - continue to frequently check his mouth for any abnormalities. By the time we had opened biggy's mouth, we saw a tumor growing, which was removed - but it only came back and was terminal. Please keep an eye on your kitty

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's true about actual dentist vets and regular vets. I've had experiences where I had to point out two or three times a single area in the mouth before the vet actually saw what I was talking about (or admitted it)

His teeth do look great except for that one that was pointed out. My Boo would let me look all in his mouth and was very patient, even when I was touching an area that was causing considerable pain. Sometimes he chattered, sometimes he did not.

Good luck to your beautiful kitty

jillie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is most excellent! Thanks for sharing and
for you for getting Rajah's teeth so squeaky!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good job on the old boy's teeth. I put my guys on a dental regimen after my vet told me Archie at age 2-3 already had early stages of perio disease. Six months later - not with raw but with PlaqueOff, Biotene and enzyme toothpaste, she was amazed at the transformation in Arch's mouth. I do feed raw on occasion... they haven't quite taken to gnawing on bones... and really, really enjoy grass fed beef stewing chunks.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow what an improvement! This needs to be shown to all the vets in the world because that is huge!

Also it definitely looks like an RL and maybe your vet couldn't see it because the cat had so much tartar build up at the time. Regardless that's an amazing transformation!