Raised Right gently cooked food

Mabi_kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m going to try this. I found my local favorite store sells this.

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've been trying this lately, and I am confounded by my cats' reaction to it. They won't eat it but they LOVE the smell! My cats will literally be sleeping in another room, but they wake up and run to their bowls while I am preparing it!! Then I set the food down and they sniff and sniff but ultimately walk away. Picking out the blueberries and carrots doesn't help.

We're adding different gravies and other ways to make it more palatable, so we'll see what happens. Their reaction to the smell is encouraging enough that we'll stick with it for a little while.

Marley&Luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Astragal14 Astragal14 , any update on your kitties and Raised Right? I’ve read good things about it so am planning to order a sampler box soon. Would love to hear any insight you may have.

And anyone else’s comments/experiences too please!

Smalls was an abject failure in our household. A lot of nibbling, then a lot of walking away.:rolleyes2:

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Astragal14 Astragal14 , any update on your kitties and Raised Right? I’ve read good things about it so am planning to order a sampler box soon. Would love to hear any insight you may have.

And anyone else’s comments/experiences too please!

Smalls was an abject failure in our household. A lot of nibbling, then a lot of walking away.:rolleyes2:
We tried the original chicken in various ways (mixed with other foods, with gravy, with broth...) and no one ever liked it. But the smell brought them into the kitchen every single time!

We haven't tried the other varieties yet but I am definitely interested. The pâtés with pumpkin were not available when I last ordered and I think these would be more popular with my cats than the original recipes. They don't have the carrots and blueberries, and I know my cats are fine with pumpkin.

Let us know if you get the sampler box and how it's received!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Curious. Why the addition of spearmint?

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I looked this up and I also saw that spearmint is included. I bet that's what is putting cats off. I'm pretty sure my two kitties wouldn't like it either. Other red flags for me: too much "filler", use of flaxseed oil which does NOT provide Omega 3 fatty acids, and finally, the price and lack of variety. Chicken and turkey chubs from Hare Today or Viva Raw are no more than $6/lb even after shipping and supplementing.

Also, there's the use of eggshell rather than bone. This is a negative for healthy cats, unless you intend to use this as only a part of your feeding strategy, but it could be good for kitties with renal disease or who are prone to bladder stones.

I guess convenience is another plus, but then if we were about convenience we wouldn't be feeding raw in the first place :-). It's actually not that hard to defrost chubs, mix in supplements, and refreeze in jars. Plus, I long ago figured out that ordering from multiple suppliers, researching and getting cats used to new food etc is sufficiently INconvenient that it way outweighs the convenience from buying these premade bags.

Marley&Luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The spearmint is odd. Thank you for your thoughts everyone. We’ll give it a try in a few months and see if it earns a spot in the rotation, and I’ll report back.

Marley&Luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As a follow up tangentially related to this so not worth starting a new thread, I thought I’d share our recent experience with Just Food for Cats. Another fresh option and one that made The List.

Given our experience with Smalls, I anticipated abject failure. Mais non, they love it. Granted, it contains fish. But my girls don’t get much fish and it doesn’t make them ravenous for a food in the least. It’s got a nice array of chicken and organs as well. It seems on the dry side, so I add a little warm water, mix it up and they’ve been devouring it. We’ll be including this one in the rotation for sure.

Link if anyone’s interested:

Healthy Cat Food | Just for Cats | JustFoodForDogs | JustFoodForDogs

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It would be nice to see more of this kind of product. Unfortunately, such companies have a way of going out of business, or changing their recipes with no warning. And I hope I don't have to remind anyone here how hard that is on cats. I've been down that road enough times that I'm just really not interested in specialty mixes anymore.

For this particular product ("JustforCats") I looked it up, and there are some red flags. The first ingredient is fish, so it's really a fish food with some chicken added. The fish is cod, which is low fat and does NOT provide much in the way of omega 3. I would not feed this to my cats if you paid me.

It also contains added carb fillers (tapioca starch). Finally, they use the dog nutrient blend, which means the nutrient profile probably isn't appropriate for cats. To top it all off, it's pricey, almost $12/lb. That's double the price of what I'm feeding my cats now.

So...thanks for posting, but this one is a thumbs down for me.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It would be nice to see more of this kind of product. Unfortunately, such companies have a way of going out of business, or changing their recipes with no warning. And I hope I don't have to remind anyone here how hard that is on cats. I've been down that road enough times that I'm just really not interested in specialty mixes anymore.

For this particular product ("JustforCats") I looked it up, and there are some red flags. The first ingredient is fish, so it's really a fish food with some chicken added. The fish is cod, which is low fat and does NOT provide much in the way of omega 3. I would not feed this to my cats if you paid me.

It also contains added carb fillers (tapioca starch). Finally, they use the dog nutrient blend, which means the nutrient profile probably isn't appropriate for cats. To top it all off, it's pricey, almost $12/lb. That's double the price of what I'm feeding my cats now.

So...thanks for posting, but this one is a thumbs down for me.
It's frustrating because there are TONS of fresh/cooked food companies for dogs, but very little for cats. Raw food co ops are nice, but the blends are usually not balanced and require some math and supplements, and most contain bone which should not be cooked.
$12 a pound....I could only afford that if I had a very sick cat that did well on that food and only that food. :sigh:

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hear you and agree! Cats are an afterthought for almost all these companies. I had written to Hare Today and Viva Raw about this, and happily, Viva Raw is planning to make a cat food line with 6% bone....that would be the only one I'm aware of. Hare Today has no plans to do so.

I don't know if Viva Raw is intending to make a "complete" food for cats, and if so, whether it will contain carb fillers and/or be ridiculously pricey. If all they did was make a meat/bone/organ mix with 6% bone, requiring you to mix in the Alnutrin/supplements yourself, that would be way easier than what I have to do now: combine a 2 lb, 10% bone chub (from Hare Today or Viva Raw) with a 1 lb boneless chub (only available from Hare Today) and 1/4 lb organ mix (also from HT), then add supplements (Alnutrin). Sourcing & mixing all this is really annoying, but after much disappointment with other online & commercial sources, this is the most practical solution for now. I also have a Tasin grinder that I can use for making food from grocery chicken thighs etc using Lisa Pierson's recipe, which requires partial baking the chicken. I haven't done this in a while, but it's good to have it as a backup in case of online supply problems.