Rainy Cat

cesca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My older cat Luna got out last night, I was not aware of it until hours later. On top of the stress that Luna must have felt it also rained for the first time in months. By the time I finally found her, she was cold, shivering and wet. I brought her in, fed her and tried to dry her but she wanted to clean herself.
She has been clingy all day, just looking for love. My younger cat Lulu, has issues with change, loud noises, and likes to spend the noisier days under the couch. By the time Luna and Lulu saw each other for the first time since I brought Luna back inside, Lulu has been completely freaked out. Lulu will not stop hissing growling and swatting in Luna's direction. Does anyone know what I can do? I know that cats release pheromones in stressful situations, but how long does it take those pheromones to be replaced? I am separating them for the night, but I need help.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luna must have gotten all her familiar scent washed off when she got out in the rain.

Cat's often identify friend or foe by scent. Now that Luna's been washed, Lulu doesn't like it when Luna doesn't smell the same as before.

Try "Scent Swapping."

Get a towel or something and rub it on Lulu to make it smell like her. Then rub the same towel on Luna to transfer some of the scent to her.

Do you have a blanket or something that both cat's have slept on? That might work, too.

Casper has been an indoor cat since we adopted him. He was abandoned outdoors and we adopted him from an Animal Welfare Society. He was outside by his own free will one time and hasn't been out, except to go to the vet, ever since.

It was shortly after we got him (just after Christmas) when Casper's Girl-Human opened the door and he made a break for it. It was snowing at the time. Casper made it as far as the front stoop. He hit the snow and stopped. He looked around for a minute then headed back inside where it was warm and dry.

Ever since then, Casper's motto has been, "It's GOOD to live indoors!" ;)

If Casper's experience was anything like Luna's, I'd be willing to bet that this will be the last time she makes a break for it, at least in a very long time! ;)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I so agree with Caspers Human Caspers Human . Do the scent swapping. It will take a bit of time, but this should taper off. You can also rub BOTH cats with REAL vanilla extract. Makes them both smell the same.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep a watch out for escape attempts! Even though it seems she had a bad experience out there, she just might surprise you by darting to get out again. Cats are very hard to figure that way.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper doesn’t even try.

We have a sliding screen door leading to the back patio. One day, I came downstairs to find the screen had, somehow, slid open by about two feet and Casper was laying right there, at the threshold, watching the birds and squirrels.

I don’t know how long he had been sitting there in front of the wide open door but he could have gone out any time he wanted to. It was a nice, sunny day too!

I wouldn’t say that Casper will never make for the door but he seems be happy right where he is.