Raid Ant & Roach Spray

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I spotted a large spiderweb and yellow spider very close to my bedroom's front doors (basically French doors reinforced by metal gates). Normally I would have left it alone but the closest description I could find on Google was "yellow sac spider," which is apparently as venomous as a brown recluse.

I'm very afraid of insects so swatting it out of the air with a broom wasn't an option, and I ended up spraying at it with Raid. I'm not even sure it died because it pulled itself up to the outdoor awning and ran away.

Now I'm kicking myself for using Raid at all, since these doors are always left open in the summer and my cat spends a lot of time looking out the doors and walking around near them. I deliberately sprayed facing away from the bedroom, but am really worried about Smo getting exposed to the chemicals in the bug spray. Everything I'm reading online says that Raid can be fatal to cats.

I'm pretty certain I didn't get any Raid inside the room since I was spraying outward with my arm outside the door, but Smo's food bowl and litterbox are on each side of the French doors, about 3 feet away from each one. Do these need to be dumped and cleaned?

Also, how do I get the Raid off the concrete? We occasionally get strays walking onto the porch that the doors lead out to, and I don't want them stepping on the Raid. I was going to hose the porch down, but everything I'm reading says that getting it wet is a bad idea.

Help! I don't know if I'm worrying over nothing but I always freak out when chemicals and cats are involved.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm pretty certain I didn't get any Raid inside the room since I was spraying outward with my arm outside the door, but Smo's food bowl and litterbox are on each side of the French doors, about 3 feet away from each one. Do these need to be dumped and cleaned?
Also, how do I get the Raid off the concrete?
If it were me I would err on the side of caution and thoroughly clean your cat's food bowl and litterbox. Better to be safe than sorry!

As far as removing the Raid from concrete this may be helpful for you:
How to Remove Insecticide Stains From:
Asphalt, Bluestone, Brick, Concrete, Flagstone, Granite, Masonry Tile, Sandstone, Slate, Terrazzo

Wash stain with a solution of washing soda or detergent (never soap) and water. Use a cloth or soft-bristled brush. Rinse thoroughly with clear water and allow to dry.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, how do I get the Raid off the concrete? We occasionally get strays walking onto the porch that the doors lead out to, and I don't want them stepping on the Raid. I was going to hose the porch down, but everything I'm reading says that getting it wet is a bad idea.
For outside concrete I would mop with water + bleach solution first, let it dry, then hose water, then mop again with a gentle cleaning product those "safe for pets" ones.