Ragdoll Shedding A Lot Of Hair

Rufus93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I posted on this forum 3 months ago when I got my first kitten and he was extremely scared. Everyone's replies helped tremendously. It took awhile but he got over his shyness, although he still runs under the bed when my dad gets home or a visitor comes over. But when its just me and him his a crazy little kitty.

When i first got him I read that ragdolls didnt shed which i thought was odd because they had such a long coat. He didnt lose much hair at the beginning but now Ive had him for 3 months (his 6 months old) and my room is covered. Other rooms arent as bad cause he spends most of his time in my room. When i brush him its insane how much hair comes off. I did read that ragdolls shed in Spring and in Australia we are one month into spring. So I'm hoping that is the case and its just a seasonal thing and his not sick or anything. Last time i went to the vet they said nothing was wrong but I'm finding a lot more hair everywhere now. Any ragdoll owners with similar problems.

Thank in advance for any advice or help :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you get him from a registered breeder?

If you didn't there is a chance he is a lookalike ragdoll which means that some of the recognized traits of ragdolls may not be present.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rufus93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep, she is a registered breeder. So I assume that he is an actual ragdoll. I'm sure the vet would of told me otherwise. He looks like the ragdolls ive seen before.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Vets actually rarely know specifics of breeds and can't do more than guess. In many cases they simply agree with the owner or make best guess off experience. Cats are not dogs where specific traits are only found within a specific breed and no where else. In the cat world a cat can look superficially like a breed without relation to it. So neither apperance or the vet can be a clear indicator. Only documentation guarantees breed.

That aside, assuming you have a documented ragdoll it could be specific to his line that shedding is more frequent than other Ragdolls. It should be noted that the Ragdoll breed is a relatively young breed and are long hair. As a young bred, and unlike dog breeds, there can be variation within an acceptable range from different lines of the breed. The breed as a whole tends towards specifics in temperment and other items but that doesn't mean every member will for sure meet those traits exactly. Long hair cats will shed and their fur is more noticeable than their short hair counterparts. The myth that Ragdolls don't shed is just a myth. They may shed slightly less than other long hair breeds but they do shed. I am sure among those show cats who recieve regular grooming shedding may seem even less. Seasonal shedding is perfectly normal and to be expected; but some shedding will occur at all times of the year. Most seasonal shedding is twice a year with coat changes for the weather.

The best way to get some control over shedding is to establish a regular grooming and bathing routine to remove the fur in a controlled manner. For example, daily or weekly brushing and twice a month baths.

It should be noted that diet can play a roll in shedding amount. A healthy diet, equals a healthy coat, equals a slight decrease in shedding.

And remember, no outfit (event or meal) is complete without some cat hair.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rufus93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks this has been really helpful. One other question. I havent given him a bath yet. I did attempt it and he hated it and he clawed the hell out of my trying to get out of the sink. What are some tips to get them to see its not scary or any tips in general to help bathe him.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a sprayer with my cats, like the one at the kitchen sink, and hold it against the body so it doesn't make noise. Don't try to immerse him. Also, and this is very important - keep the cat facing away from you so he can't try to climb you. Besides it being seasonal shedding, perhaps he is losing his kitten coat.

Elenya Rose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this would help but I know someone with two ragdolls and those two cats shed a lot of fur. We joke that they could make another cat from the fluff!