Ragdoll kittens suddenly not eating!! Help!

molly120382

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi friends, I debated whether or not this was a Nutrition topic or Health topic, it kind of falls under both so here it sits...  Sorry if it's in the wrong place...

In February I adopted two Ragdoll kittens, Ham and Beau.  I've never had purebred cats before, my other babies were always rescue and never had any eating issues.  These boys however... its been non-stop eating issues, with Beau in particular.  If I feed him anything other than Halo brand wet food he gets diarrhea, it took months to find the right food for him (my sister says when you buy a Lexus you have to fill it up with high octane gasoline... same idea I guess).  Anyway, things have been going very well for the past 3-4 months, no more diarrhea and very healthy appetites.  Lately the kittens have been ravenous, I've been feeding them 2-3 small cans at a time, until they stop eating.  Yesterday morning everything was fine, they cleaned their bowls and I went to work.  Last night however, Ham refused to eat.  I tried a few different flavors and still no eating (maybe a few licks, but left the vast majority in the bowl).  He kept sniffing around like he wanted something, but nothing satisfied him.  Beau was eating though.  Now this morning they are both being fussy and only licking at their food!  This is a sore spot for me because the last time one of my cats stopped eating, he ended up having carcinomatosis and died within a month!  (RIP Cow).  

My question is, is it normal for a kitten to go from ravenous eaters to having apparently no appetite in less than 24 hours??  How long until I should be worried??  Not like I'm not worried already...  Any advice would be great, I'm hoping this is just a normal growth spurt thing and nothing serious.  

Just in case anyone wants to know, here's what their normal diet it:

*Halo wet food (spots stew or pate)

*Fancy Feast (pate or grilled - Ham and my two older cats eats this, Beau only eats Halo because of the sensitive stomach)

*NO DRY FOOD!  I used to leave dry food out with my other cats and they got fat and had bad teeth, the wet food only diet has trimmed their waistlines and honestly made a big difference with their teeth.  Must be the carbs...  No judgement though, my sister and mom feed their cats dry food, it's a personal choice

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wet food is much better for them than dry food.  For adult cats no more than 24 to 48 hours without food, I would think that if anything it would be less for kittens.  I had a cat with fatty liver disease so I would go with the 24 hours.  If they still aren't eating later today then I would be thinking about syringe feeding and a trip to the vet.  Sometimes they do just decide they don't want to eat so hopefully later today they will eat.  Hopefully you have a vet that will take their not eating seriously.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that suddenly not eating is concerning. Go with your gut instinct if you feel something is wrong especially with both of them acting this way. If they don't eat their next meal, I would consider a vet visit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

molly120382

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband is taking ham to the vet now. I went home at lunch and he still wouldn't eat. He sniffs at the food and I think he wants to eat. Maybe his nose is stuffy?? I read that if they can't smell their food they don't eat it... I feel so guilty that I can't be there with him, but I'm at work.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think cats also do that when they are nauseated.  I know with Patches I would get excited because I thought he was going to eat and he would walk away from it.   I hope the vet gets it figured out and it's good you are taking care of it before the not eating starts causing problems.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry I did not see this thread until now! I also am a ragdoll mom and they do tend to be prone to GI issues. For my Ragdoll it was always a fight to get him to eat even as a kitten. I never really knew what was going on and the vet always told me he didn't seem underweight and was healthy until this year when he started vomiting hairballs non-stop. You can read his story here (http://www.thecatsite.com/t/259470/vomiting-bile-possible-blockage-in-ragodoll-what-to-ask-vet). What helped him was getting him shaved and switching him to a novel protein wet diet- he now eats like a normal cat. I have a unproven theory that ragdolls can not digest their hair and I think shaving really works to prevent a lot of GI issues. I also use the vitality science protocol for IBD/IBS which so far seems to really help (http://www.vitalityscience.com/v/AllProducts/Cat-Diarrhea-Vomiting/feline-Diarrhea-Vomiting.asp). I also give it to my Birman kitten and it has cleared up her soft stool issue and also cured my dogs really bad diarrhea in a day.

Ragdolls in my opinion are prone to IBS/IBD and it is good you have them on all wet food, but some IBD cats do better on a novel protein. I feed Frank the nature's variety line duck and lamb and he has done very well on it. Other people on here have had good luck treating their cats with a raw diet and there are a few threads on the raw forum on this. Here is one about a Ragdoll who also had IBD and was treated with raw (http://www.thecatsite.com/t/239771/...lucky-bugsy-and-hope-to-raw-challenges-galore).

There is also an interesting thread on commercial and homemade foods to give to IBD cats going on right now (http://www.thecatsite.com/t/263127/...-have-worked-have-you-tried-for-your-ibd-cats).

Another great discussion we recently had on IBD/IBS can be found here (http://www.thecatsite.com/t/262946/the-difference-between-ibd-and-ibs)  

Good luck and keep us posted and let me know if you ever have any more questions about ragdolls. Also, feel free to PM with any and all Ragdoll questions.

Last edited:

molly120382

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So here's what the vet said, his heart and lungs appeared normal, she couldn't see any string or obstruction in his mouth or throat so an xray was recommended ($$$$$).  The xray revealed a lot of gas and poo blockage.  So poor Ham was very constipated.  She gave him an enema and sent us home.  He took a while to use the box but when he did it was awful!!  There was a ton of hair.  I don't think it's all out because he's still not eating a lot, he nibbled at his wet food but wasn't super hungry.  Beau, my other Ragdoll, is also not eating as much as usual and this morning was drinking some water, which is unusual for him.  I think he must also be blocked up, I'm considering bringing him in for an enema as well...  I feel like a bad mom, I do brush them, but not daily as their coats don't seem to need it as much as other long haired cats...  

Franksmom, I totally agree with your post, it's been non-stop GI issues with these cats, first diarrhea now constipation.  I'm definitely considering having them shaved, The amount of hair in Ham's stool was ridiculous.  Of course he's constipated, anyone would be if they had a belly full of hair!  I'm going to read your links when I get out of work this evening and I will definitely PM you if I need some Ragdoll advice.  

Thanks to everyone for their insights, this has been super stressful and the help is appreciated 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like you have a good vet.  Many of them don't get that cats can't go very long without eating before they have other problems.  My guy with sensitive system, IBS, IBD or what ever label you want to use has had several enemas.  Seems like these kitties have either chronic constipation or chronic runny stools.  When you start reading about it you will find there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it and it's trial and error to find what works for a particular cat.  Many of us, myself included, use the term probable IBD.  Usually can't even get a definitive diagnoses.  You didn't get them hooked on dry kibble which is really good.  I made that mistake.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't beat yourself up about the fur. I tried brushing and the furminator and the only thing that worked was shaving. I am not sure why this is so common in Ragdolls because like you said they seem to not have high maintenance coats. Shaving may be a good option and it will be good to get them used to it as kittens because it is not the most fun process with adult cats. You can get them done at the groomers first but can keep it up at home with a pet shaver in order to keep costs down.

Another thing that is used to help with hairballs is raw egg yolk or egg lecithin

molly120382

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been discussing this situation with the breeder I got the cats from and the diet she recommends for her cats is a mix of iams hairball control with flint river ranch dry kibble left out at all times and 2x daily wet food (life's abundance) mixed with hot water. I really don't want to leave dry food out... The flints river ranch is grain free so I'm debating it... Is "grain-free" dry kibble really any better than your standard dry kibble?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are so many different opinions about food.  It is true that grain free kibble is better than regular kibble for most cats.  Patches does better with food that contains some rice so it's different for each cat.  IAMs isn't a real good brand it used to be the best of the grocery store brands until Proctor Gamble took over.  I think wet food is usually the better choice and the problem with dry is it is so darned addicting.  Given too much kibble and they will decide they'll just hold out for that and not eat the wet.  She is a ragdoll breeder and that certainly trumps the little bit that I know about food.  There are some very knowledgeable people about food on this board.  Maybe you could start a thread in the Nutrition forum and some people who know a lot about nutrition will jump in with their opinions.  You will probably get different opinions but you will get the reasons why they have that opinion.

I am also not a fan of free feeding.  I think it interferes with the natural way a cat's digestive system works

Last edited:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would for sure not listen to the breeder on this one. Dry food is the worst thing you can give a cat with constipation IMO. Constipated cats need moisture.

Take a look at www.catinfo.org it is writen by a vet who know a lot about feline nutrition. She has a section on ibd and hairballs.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi again, 

Hope your kitties are doing well and please give us an update when you have a chance. 

I was reading little big cat which is also written by a vet (who is a partner with Jackson Galaxy) and saw an interesting on article she did on constipation which I thought may be helpful (http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/constipated-cats/).

molly120382

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an update, not one I'm happy to post. Ham still isn't eating and now beau and another one of my cats, honey, are also on a hunger strike. No one is acting lethargic or sickly, they just sniff at the food and don't eat it. I've resorted to syringe feeding ham since its been a few days now and I've read scary things about liver problems when cats don't eat. It's just the most frustrating and bizarre thing. When I spoke with a tech at my vets office yesterday she suggested some kind of flu/cold like people pass around. Have you ever heard of anything like this? I'm starting to think maybe they got a bad can of food, but none of my cans were expired. I'll keep you posted, hopefully things turn around soon, or I might lose my mind!!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know this is frustrating.  There is something strange going on when their all doing it unless their playing a strange game of monkey see monkey do.  Kitty colds can cause this because a cat won't eat something that they can't smell.  Usually you can tell that they are stuffed up.

It's good you have started syringe feeding.  I had a cat develop fatty liver disease or the right name for it is hepatic lipidosis and it's not something that is easy to deal with.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes it could be a virus. My guess is the kitten has what is brother has and I am not sure about the other cat. If they will eat treats like freeze dried chicken feed them those. You can feed an unbalanced meal for up to a week so just try to get them to eat anything. Meat babyfood is another option. Have you tried putting treats on top of their food? Fortiflora is also a good trick to get cats to eat. 

Is there any vomiting and are they all having good poos? Take a look at the chart from this article to see if their poo is normal (http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/constipated-cats/). When Frank had his IBD or IBS flare up he stopped eating and i had to give him meds and syringe feed him. It is great you are syringe feeding and I suggest you start with the others if they will not eat. Here is a helpful thread on it which actually features another ragdoll (http://www.thecatsite.com/t/227858/syringe-feeding-lucky-video-if-your-cat-is-not-eating)

If they will not eat anything I recommend getting cerenia is is an amazing anti nausea pill (you can also get an injection) and cyproheptadine is a great appetite stimulant. These both take about 24 hours to work in my experience. 

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How are your kitties doing? Would love a update, hope they are better!

molly120382

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last update, and thankfully it's good news. On Thursday they started nibbling again and as of this morning are finishing up whatever's in the bowls. I'm not sure if it was a kitty virus or they all got a bad can that upset their stomachs. Interestingly, the brand I've been feeding them forever is now universally rejected. I had to return the unopened cans because no one will eat it anymore. They're not eating as much as before, but at least I don't have to worry about liver problems from starvation. Thanks for all the help and support, it's so stressful when your furry babies aren't feeling well, especially since they can't tell you what's wrong.
Here's a picture of Ham finally eating on Thursday, I was so happy I texted a pic to my husband!!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is so cute.  Since they are now rejecting that food, I think there was a bad can.  Unfortunately it can happen with even the highest quality foods.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very cute! It could have been a bad can but cats also just get sick of food after a while so that is why it is best to rotate different brands.