Ragdoll cats trapping home prey recently.

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Ragdoll named "Momma" has been bringing me inside of my house "live animals" ......... I keep my door wall open when I am home for the cat's to come in and out while I am home. I have a full fenced in yard in the city.  I have 4 purebred Ragdolls and one Siamese rescue named Simon. My 12 year old Ragdoll learned how to jump my fenced in yard about 4 weeks ago
She brings me mice about 4 times within the last year into the house. Today I am off from work and noticed her jumping over my gate fence and running toward my open door wall. I saw her coming and closed the screen so she could not bring in her catch to so me......
I ran outside and made her let the baby chipmunk go. It was OK and ran away. 3 hours later the Momma (Ragdoll) cat ran in my house though my open door-wall meowing with the catch in her mouth. I scolded her and she dropped a baby Squirrel in my house somewhere. I tried my best to catch him by hand for 1/2 hour. I am a messy house keeper and there are many places to hide in my house. I feel bad for the baby squirrel as it is doomed while inside of a house with 5 full grown cats. Any advice here would be welcome?  

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can put up netting at an inward angle to prevent her from jumping the fence.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not sure what you were expecting. To prevent it from happening you can either keep them inside or prevent them from jumping the fence. You can't stop their hunting instinct...

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Our three have brought in many live animals--mice, lizards, birds, snakes,  you name it.  If you know where the squirrel is in your house, you can try to get it into a cardboard box or other container with a broom, I've had success with that sometimes.  But if you don't know where it is, there's not much you can do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Our three have brought in many live animals--mice, lizards, birds, snakes,  you name it.  If you know where the squirrel is in your house, you can try to get it into a cardboard box or other container with a broom, I've had success with that sometimes.  But if you don't know where it is, there's not much you can do.
Thanks for your advice....... The Squirrel is presently inside my own house.......... I only wish that I can get the baby squirrel out of my house before one of my 5 cats can kill him almost  like today .........BAD NEWS FOR THE BABY SQUIRREL..........It is maybe 3 weeks old at the most

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Thanks for your advice....... The Squirrel is presently inside my own house.......... I only wish that I can get the baby squirrel out of my house before one of my 5 cats can kill him almost  like today .........BAD NEWS FOR THE BABY SQUIRREL..........It is maybe 3 weeks old at the most
I will catch him alive if I can. I tried my best earlier to trap the little sucker. My 5 cats are indoor and the chances for the squirrel are slim. The squirrel is small in size......he is about 5" including his tail. He is a true baby at this size. I tried to catch him with my hands.........earlier..........
One of my 5 cats will kill him and leave the body for me

Last edited by a moderator:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I dont think people are deliberately ignoring you but  may just not have any ideas of what to do besides things they figure you already would have thought of yourself.   

Like I guess you have already thought of this --- , but if you have a pretty good idea of which room the baby squirrel is in,  can you shut your cats in a different room,   close off the room the squirrel is in,  and just start taking it apart looking for that squirrel?  and listening closely  for sounds of movement.   and carry a shoebox and lid with you to  try to scoop the squirrel into the box and quickly slam the lid on and take him back where he came from.   or to a wildlife rehabilitator.   ( because if your cat bit him,   he needs antibiotics) 

maybe wear thick gloves in case you have to try to grab it with your hands ( i don't know if it is old enough to have teeth? )  

For future prevention of your cat getting over the fence,  you can build an attachment along the top of the fence that goes inward   and stops the cat getting over it.     or else totally build an outdoor cat enclosure including a top .  

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise

I will catch him alive if I can. I tried my best earlier to trap the little sucker. My 5 cats are indoor and the chances for the squirrel are slim. The squirrel is small in size......he is about 5" including his tail. He is a true baby at this size. I tried to catch him with my hands.........earlier..........
One of my 5 cats will kill him and leave the body for me
I'd never try to catch a rodent with bare hands.  You guys are going to laugh but I have what I call my "Mouse Box".  It's a big cardboard box with no top.  I keep it in the laundry room just for the purpose of catching critters my cats bring in.  Once I coax a rodent/lizard/whatever into it with a broom, the sides are too high for it to get out and then I can take it back outside to release it.  

But sometimes I can't find it or get to it and then I have to let nature take its course and wait for one of the cats to catch it--they always do, ultimately.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
You should have a pair of heavy leather gloves to catch whatever they bring in, because any terrified animal is bound to bite. We had a bat inside recently, and somebody related how she used a butterfly net - that would also be a good idea. I suppose one those used to get leaves out of ponds and swimming pools would also work.

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You should have a pair of heavy leather gloves to catch whatever they bring in, because any terrified animal is bound to bite. We had a bat inside recently, and somebody related how she used a butterfly net - that would also be a good idea. I suppose one those used to get leaves out of ponds and swimming pools would also work.
The net idea is all good. The squirrel I would guess is about  3-4 weeks old. I cannot catch him as I have tried. He is too fast for my 54 year old hands
He is assumed to still be living inside of my house as I have not seen or heard him in the last 24+ hours. Like I said before.......I am owned by 5 cat's in my home. The chances of it getting out alive are less than small to none if I cannot catch him alive first. I caught a similar sized squirrel last year with my bare hands and took the sucker outside and freed it
I am the type that cannot kill anything. I open the door and let fly's, bee's and moths free outside. All insects fly toward the light. I know that and free them if it is possible before killing them. I only kill mosquitoes as they suck

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Ragdoll named "MOMMA" just brought in another baby squirrel... I was able to free it and let it outside. This is getting crazy  here....
... I cannot understand why she brings in all these animals just suddenly 
?  She is 12 and one half years old.  None of my other 4 cats bring me in "presents" like her ????

peekasoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's just showing you how much she loves you. Not much to be done. My flame point siamese would leave me a mouse almost once a week in front of my bedroom door growing up. Awful, but they mean well so what can you do?

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At least she brings them to you alive so you have a chance to free them. My husband's old cat Mittens usually only brought part of the animal home. Cats have some unique ways of showing their love.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise

My Ragdoll named "MOMMA" just brought in another baby squirrel... I was able to free it and let it outside. This is getting crazy  here....
... I cannot understand why she brings in all these animals just suddenly 
?  She is 12 and one half years old.  None of my other 4 cats bring me in "presents" like her ????
I don't know which is worse--alive or dead.  I wonder how many of the little critters I've "rescued" actually survive after being mauled and/or punctured by a cat.  
   But cleaning up mutilated body parts is no fun, either.  When our three kids were all about two years old, they went CRAZY one summer.  Hunting like there was no tomorrow.  One day, I was home from work for the day, and had all the doors open to let in air and sun.  Kitties were running in and out, having a grand old time.  In one day, they brought in EIGHT critters between the three of them--mice, birds, a lizard or two.  It was insane.  

Thankfully they've calmed down in their "old age" (they're around 4 now) LOL and we don't get those little gifties nearly as often.  

@ original poster:  My first cat lived to be 17-1/2 years old and hunted up until the last few months of her life!  She was a little tiger.

How's it going now--has Momma calmed down any with the hunting?  I find mine go in spurts--they'll go crazy for a few days, and then nothing for weeks.  

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I don't know which is worse--alive or dead.  I wonder how many of the little critters I've "rescued" actually survive after being mauled and/or punctured by a cat.  
   But cleaning up mutilated body parts is no fun, either.  When our three kids were all about two years old, they went CRAZY one summer.  Hunting like there was no tomorrow.  One day, I was home from work for the day, and had all the doors open to let in air and sun.  Kitties were running in and out, having a grand old time.  In one day, they brought in EIGHT critters between the three of them--mice, birds, a lizard or two.  It was insane.  

Thankfully they've calmed down in their "old age" (they're around 4 now) LOL and we don't get those little gifties nearly as often.  

@ original poster:  My first cat lived to be 17-1/2 years old and hunted up until the last few months of her life!  She was a little tiger.

How's it going now--has Momma calmed down any with the hunting?  I find mine go in spurts--they'll go crazy for a few days, and then nothing for weeks.  
No she has not slowed........she brought in a medium sized squirrel 2 days ago and dropped it in my family room
I closed all the doors to my rooms so it would not go run and hide. I opened the door wall and I was able to chase it outside with 3 full grown Ragdolls in tow. It got away and seemed fine. I can't trust Momma....so now if I let any of my cats outside. I have to close the screen door behind them so I can see what is coming into my house before I open the screen door. What surprises me is that she has never caught any birds yet. Just mice, squirrels and chipmunks.

linkfarm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah. .Ragdolls are great hunters. My wife always turns on light to see if their mouths are empty when letting them in at night. It's no fun having a field mouse in the lounge at two in the morning.