Ragdoll? But what Type?

missdc5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently picked up this sweet girl - and was told (no proven papers) that she is a purebred ragdoll. She’s extremely docile in her temperament - which leads me to believe it’s true - however, her colouring is somewhat leading me to believe she may be mixed?

any thoughts? I’ve had just about enough of Google - I can’t seem to figure out, if she is a purebred - what type?

She’s only 8 weeks, so - I know her colours aren’t all in yet.

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Heya! If she has no papers, she’s functionally not a Ragdoll, even if the breeder claims her parents are.

Are her parents registered? Have you met them? Do you have photos of her parents to share? Were they tested for the relevant diseases of the breed — Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (both genetic and yearly ultrasound), Polycystic Kidney Disease, Progressive Retinal Atrophy, and Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency. If you’re certain your kittens’ parents (or one even one of her parents) are ragdolls, you should get your kitten genetically tested for these conditions, unless you’re absolutely certain her parents are tested free of the conditions.

Personally, I’d describe her as a seal point and white domestic longhair, as she doesn’t strongly resemble the Ragdoll breed, though it sometimes can be hard to tell with young kittens. However, backyard breeders don’t always breed to type, so she may theoretically have Ragdoll ancestry, and just not conform completely to the breed standard. It’s hard to say whether she’ll resemble the breed more as she ages, but at 8 weeks, I’d expect her to be a lot more kitten plush in the coat, and already start developing the distinct Ragdoll head shape. Here is a photo of 8 week old Ragdoll kittens from Bee Cave Ragdolls

1621502699618.jpeg

Not being of any particular breed doesn’t make your kitten any less precious, she’s adorable! However, if you believe one or both of her parents are Ragdolls, and you’ve met them (or, at the very least, you’ve confirmed that you’ve seen photos of her actual parents, rather than photos of someone else’s cats the breeder claims is theirs), you’ll be best off getting her genetically tested for the health issues Mentioned above, as poorly-bred Ragdolls may have some of those genes.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with above.

Her coloring as such isnt unheard of with ragdolls as such. Look up the term: Ragdoll bicolor... These are seal points and white ragdolls; ie her colors.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope not a ragdoll at all. I wouldnt trust anyone who doesnt give papers. Most lie just to get more money.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missdc5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heya! If she has no papers, she’s functionally not a Ragdoll, even if the breeder claims her parents are.

Are her parents registered? Have you met them? Do you have photos of her parents to share? Were they tested for the relevant diseases of the breed — Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (both genetic and yearly ultrasound), Polycystic Kidney Disease, Progressive Retinal Atrophy, and Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency. If you’re certain your kittens’ parents (or one even one of her parents) are ragdolls, you should get your kitten genetically tested for these conditions, unless you’re absolutely certain her parents are tested free of the conditions.

Personally, I’d describe her as a seal point and white domestic longhair, as she doesn’t strongly resemble the Ragdoll breed, though it sometimes can be hard to tell with young kittens. However, backyard breeders don’t always breed to type, so she may theoretically have Ragdoll ancestry, and just not conform completely to the breed standard. It’s hard to say whether she’ll resemble the breed more as she ages, but at 8 weeks, I’d expect her to be a lot more kitten plush in the coat, and already start developing the distinct Ragdoll head shape. Here is a photo of 8 week old Ragdoll kittens from Bee Cave Ragdolls

View attachment 381195
Not being of any particular breed doesn’t make your kitten any less precious, she’s adorable! However, if you believe one or both of her parents are Ragdolls, and you’ve met them (or, at the very least, you’ve confirmed that you’ve seen photos of her actual parents, rather than photos of someone else’s cats the breeder claims is theirs), you’ll be best off getting her genetically tested for the health issues Mentioned above, as poorly-bred Ragdolls may have some of those genes.
Thanks for the input! I did see the mother and her siblings - which all appeared to look like ragdolls from what I know. So possibly the dad may be something else? Also - from seeing pics of when she was younger - she was all white. & most of her siblings were still completely white with just their ears/tails grey.
Any idea what she could be mixed with? ***updated pic

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Also - from seeing pics of when she was younger - she was all white. & most of her siblings were still completely white with just their ears/tails grey.
That just means she and all her siblings are pointed, which she is — a seal point with white. That doesn’t indicate relation to any breed, as it’s fairly common in the random bred cat population.

It’s hard to say what her parents could be without seeing them.