Ragdoll 8 weeks pregnant and I need some info for labor signs/kitten issues

Josie93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello:) my cat is 8 weeks pregnant and I can clearly feel babies moving In her stomach. I can also clearly hear noises in her tummy. She has been sleeping a lot for the past few days and seems to stretch a lot while she lays. Her appetite is also still here. I noticed some discharge from her lower end but it went away the next day. Her nipples haven’t produced any milk yet but have gotten a shiny ring around them that wasn’t there before. Any info for pre labor signs or actual labor?
We are on week 8 with our cat and experiencing the same x

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats! please get mom fixed when the kittens are weaned at 8 weeks old and try to trap the dad to get him fixed :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jennarene16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Moderator note: We have merged this post and some of the following responses from another thread.

I had 4 kittens. One died and there are 3 left and one more isn’t eating. It was doing the same thing as the one that died and I don’t know what to do. I’ve tried bottle feeding it and keeping it warm. But it’s lethargic, and wants to eat but can’t latch onto the nipple. It can’t use its front legs either. Does it have a sickness that can spread to the healthier two? Should I keep them separate and try to bottle feed it more?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had 4 kittens. One died and there are 3 left and one more isn’t eating. It was doing the same thing as the one that died and I don’t know what to do. I’ve tried bottle feeding it and keeping it warm. But it’s lethargic, and wants to eat but can’t latch onto the nipple. It can’t use its front legs either. Does it have a sickness that can spread to the healthier two? Should I keep them separate and try to bottle feed it more?
What is he doing? I think he needs to go to the vet about his front legs. I'm not sure about separating them...as the other two might comfort him. I would try putting milk on my finger and rubbing it on his mouth than try bottle feeding.

Jennarene16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is he doing? I think he needs to go to the vet about his front legs. I'm not sure about separating them...as the other two might comfort him. I would try putting milk on my finger and rubbing it on his mouth than try bottle feeding.
Well the first kitten that was like that died and it was the runt. Then the healthier kitten is doing the same thing the runt did. Very weak. Head flopping back when held. Stomach looks like it’s dropping when held. It’s legs are shaking and can’t move them well. I’m scared it will give a disease to the other kittens

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well the first kitten that was like that died and it was the runt. Then the healthier kitten is doing the same thing the runt did. Very weak. Head flopping back when held. Stomach looks like it’s dropping when held. It’s legs are shaking and can’t move them well. I’m scared it will give a disease to the other kittens
Check the gums. If pale, put some sugar water on them. How old are they? I don't know about diseases, the best bet to check with a vet.

Jennarene16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Check the gums. If pale, put some sugar water on them. How old are they? I don't know about diseases, the best bet to check with a vet.
Two weeks old exactly. The vet isn’t an option right now because my mom said it’s just going to die like the other one and won’t take me.

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Two weeks old exactly. The vet isn’t an option right now because my mom said it’s just going to die like the other one and won’t take me.
Try the milk on finger, keep warm, and sugar water on gums.

Jennarene16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try the milk on finger, keep warm, and sugar water on gums.
Also my healthier kittens breath rate is 90 per minute. That’s really high. Could the mom have mastitis?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no two ways about it- that kitten needs to see a vet. You can always call a vet and ask for advice, that's free. Do you have a heating pad? You can wrap that kitten up like a burrito, keep her warm, and rub some sugar or honey on her gums. She very well could have digestive issues. Is she constipated? Please continue to feed her, every two hours.

Sarthur2 Sarthur2

Last edited:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There should be a vet appointment to get them ALL looked at, if there is an illness present it could spread to the other Kittens and possibly the mother.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like it could be calici virus:

Feline Calicivirus Infection

These kittens are unable to suck a bottle so they need to be syringe fed. Do you have kitten formula?

Here is a helpful video from Kitten Lady:

Tummy down, head up, drop by drop in the side of the mouth. Feed every hour until they get stronger. Be careful not to push too much milk at one time as they can inhale milk into their lungs, which causes pneumonia and is usually fatal. They really just need supportive care right now.

I know this is distressing, but just do the best you can and keep us posted.

Jennarene16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is no two ways about it- that kitten needs to see a vet. You can always call a vet and ask for advice, that's free. Do you have a heating pad? You can wrap that kitten up like a burrito, keep her warm, and rub some sugar or honey on her gums. She very well could have digestive issues. Is she constipated? Please continue to feed her, every two hours.

Sarthur2 Sarthur2
She just had diarrhea and a lot of it. It could be

Jennarene16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it could be calici virus:

Feline Calicivirus Infection

These kittens are unable to suck a bottle so they need to be syringe fed. Do you have kitten formula?

Here is a helpful video from Kitten Lady:

Tummy down, head up, drop by drop in the side of the mouth. Feed every hour until they get stronger. Be careful not to push too much milk at one time as they can inhale milk into their lungs, which causes pneumonia and is usually fatal. They really just need supportive care right now.

I know this is distressing, but just do the best you can and keep us posted.
Thank you for this. She is having diarrhea and still can’t walk without turning over on back