Radcat's Fda Woes

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radcat just made a blog post going into detail about how their samples that triggered their huge recall have been mishandled by the authorities:

Temperature abuse of raw food samples used for regulatory action is condoned by regulatory agencies and FDA

They're angry, but rightfully so! Gives further credence to my theory that the FDA is inept at best and probably corrupted by big pet food companies' influence. Also enlightening that if they do this kind of thing to one company, they're probably doing it to others.

I support Radcat 100%-best commercial cat food I've ever used.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for posting this. I fed the recalled lots of Rad Cat for 6 months before they were 'officially' recalled. My cats were healthy and happy and never had an issue. Anyone who thinks that politics and power don't play into the FDA's actions in scrutinizing and attacking raw pet food companies is being naive.

Meanwhile, over the past year there have been several reported deaths of pets due to kibble that have yet to be investigated by the FDA.

Rad Cat is an outstanding and transparent company and I will continue to support them. It is the only complete commercial cat food I have found that actually LOOKS LIKE fresh food.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RadCat is an excellent company, highly transparent.

I'm not entirely surprised at the FDA's attempts at maligning RC, TAPF posted an article in 2015, "If the FDA Comes Into Your Pet Food Store" regarding inspectors potentially utilizing dirty sampling methods to achieve the results they wanted. (Sorry I can't link the article now but well worth reading.)

Note to FDA: You are becoming irrelevant where raw food for pets is concerned -- or any type of pet food / feed, who can trust you??? Your obvious bias toward big bucks pet feed is predictable, we are on to you.

And.....the numbers continue to grow as far as those who opt to feed their pets biologically appropriate food.

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RadCat is an excellent company, highly transparent.

I'm not entirely surprised at the FDA's attempts at maligning RC, TAPF posted an article in 2015, "If the FDA Comes Into Your Pet Food Store" regarding inspectors potentially utilizing dirty sampling methods to achieve the results they wanted. (Sorry I can't link the article now but well worth reading.)

Note to FDA: You are becoming irrelevant where raw food for pets is concerned -- or any type of pet food / feed, who can trust you??? Your obvious bias toward big bucks pet feed is predictable, we are on to you.

And.....the numbers continue to grow as far as those who opt to feed their pets biologically appropriate food.
:yeah:
If I had my dog and cats food thawing for dinner tested, I'm 100% sure they'd find something wrong with it. If I had my own meal tested, same.
We don't feed Rad Cat but if the need for a commercial product came to us, they would be the company we would choose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been mentioned in another thread, but in case anyone didn't know, Radcat is shutting down. :(

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been mentioned in another thread, but in case anyone didn't know, Radcat is shutting down. :(
WHATT!!!!!!!

Wow great job FDA, you succeeded in shutting down a company that makes healthy and quality food for cats while the kibble companies continue to proliferate. I’m so fed up with the FDA and pet food industry. :fuming:

GNacho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any alternatives to Radcat? I chose this company because they use eggshells rather than bone. I have kitty with struvites and i'm looking to keep her phosphorus levels down. Every other company seems to use bone in their raw recipes. Dr Becker recommends 7 % and after calling many companies they contain 10% and again, all bone. Is this safe to use for my kitty?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any alternatives to Radcat? I chose this company because they use eggshells rather than bone. I have kitty with struvites and i'm looking to keep her phosphorus levels down. Every other company seems to use bone in their raw recipes. Dr Becker recommends 7 % and after calling many companies they contain 10% and again, all bone. Is this safe to use for my kitty?
I have a cat with CKD, not crystals, but I'm also trying to keep phosphorus down. After talking with my vet, I've decided to "make" my own-really all I'll be doing is ordering boneless ground meat from Hare Today, and adding water and a couple scoops of a premix supplement. Specifically I'll be using this one: A Reduced Phosphorus and/or Reduced Phosphorus and Protein Homemade Raw Cat Food Diet Premix/Supplement - Special Formula

But, it does say that it is not for urinary crystals. I am not sure if that means it is just not designed for that, or if it would be actively bad for crystals, so I would double check with a vet if you want to use that one.

Another premix I was considering is EZ complete, which uses eggshell.

With struvite crystals, my understanding is that moisture is the most important (and the acidity of the raw meat is probably helpful). I don't know that phosphorus is as critical, whereas in kidney disease phosphorus level is very important because the kidney isn't filtering it out. If you definitely want to do raw without bone, I think homemade is going to be the only option right now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! For alternatives, there are a couple mentioned on Radcats web page, and also the Big Bad Woof may still have some Radcat products in supply yet.