Rad Cat

zylaai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Debating on giving my cat more raw food. Rad Cat seemed like a viable option to feed him in concordance with his Blue Buffalo wet food.

I noticed that they do not add vitamin supplements to their food, like taurine. Which made me a bit nervous. How come they don't add these things in? Does the meat already contain it...?

Has anyone tried this brand before? Do you have anything positive or negative to say about it?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Debating on giving my cat more raw food. Rad Cat seemed like a viable option to feed him in concordance with his Blue Buffalo wet food.

I noticed that they do not add vitamin supplements to their food, like taurine. Which made me a bit nervous. How come they don't add these things in? Does the meat already contain it...?

Has anyone tried this brand before? Do you have anything positive or negative to say about it?
Rad Cat is an excellent food: it's a complete food and their site addresses taurine on this page.

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you actually try feeding your kitty the Rad Cat?

I have just tried the chicken flavor with my 10 1/2 month and 11 month old kitties. My 10 1/2 month Buster circled his dish, sniffing and pawing at it, but he has now has flat out rejected it but my 11 month K.C. loves it and has been eating about 2 tsp daily for 3 days and is begging for more.  Primal Raw is also very well liked by my K.C. but not Buster. Every cat is different...

My only negative about RadCat is that I wish it was packaged in one oz feeding portions, you can only feed the  8oz container for 3 days :-(

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats eat Rad Cat every day, they love both the chicken and the turkey, though they don't like the lamb.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zylaai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Did you actually try feeding your kitty the Rad Cat?

I have just tried the chicken flavor with my 10 1/2 month and 11 month old kitties. My 10 1/2 month Buster circled his dish, sniffing and pawing at it, but he has now has flat out rejected it but my 11 month K.C. loves it and has been eating about 2 tsp daily for 3 days and is begging for more.  Primal Raw is also very well liked by my K.C. but not Buster. Every cat is different...

My only negative about RadCat is that I wish it was packaged in one oz feeding portions, you can only feed the  8oz container for 3 days :-(
I have not, however I'm going by the local holistic vet office tomorrow just to grab a few containers of the raw food.

Can you freeze it though? I was going to give him very small portions, and I can't feed 8ozs in 3 days ): Can it be safely frozen for future use?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rad Cat is sold frozen: you'll need to thaw it (completely or partially) and portion it out for serving and refreezing.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not, however I'm going by the local holistic vet office tomorrow just to grab a few containers of the raw food.

Can you freeze it though? I was going to give him very small portions, and I can't feed 8ozs in 3 days ): Can it be safely frozen for future use?
It's no problem doing a partial thaw in the refrigerator when you first get the food. Portion as you'd like and refreeze. I do it all the time with the 8 oz and 16 oz containers, very easy.
My preference are the 8 oz containers, takes less time for a partial thaw and are only $1 more expensive than buying the 16 oz.
Good luck, Rad Cat is an excellent commercial raw product.

zylaai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's no problem doing a partial thaw in the refrigerator when you first get the food. Portion as you'd like and refreeze. I do it all the time with the 8 oz and 16 oz containers, very easy.
My preference are the 8 oz containers, takes less time for a partial thaw and are only $1 more expensive than buying the 16 oz.
Good luck, Rad Cat is an excellent commercial raw product.
OH i see! I thought it wasn't already frozen for some reason. I'll be picking some up tomorrow and I'll update. Thank you for clearing this up!

zylaai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gave Oliver some today.. and oh boy did he love it. He licked the plate clean... I may buy some supplement premix to put into the food. He'll be eating Blue Buffalo canned (without the carrageenan) for breakfast, and hopefully raw for dinner. Then freeze-dried chicken heart and liver as treats. 
 It was so easy to prepare!

zylaai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So on that note... does anyone have any recommendations for raw premix supplements? I heard about TC Feline but god, it's expensive on Amazon. I'll probably purchase some powdered Taurine to put into his food too.

zylaai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't need to add in a pre mix with Rad Cat - its a complete food. They have a full nutritional breakdown as compared to AAFCO guidelines on their site
Oh, right.. I guess I'm just paranoid he's not getting enough nutrients.

Adding more Taurine wouldn't hurt though, right?

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't want to risk it. Some nutrients are harmless in excess (generally those that are water soluble, as any excess is simply excreted in the urine), but others (generally fat soluable) can become toxic in the body. I was discussing this with my vet recently, and was told to be VERY careful not to over supplement - especially when using a broad spectrum premix. IMO, no supplementation is needed with complete foods unless it's to address a specific issue (joints, hairballs etc).

zylaai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't want to risk it. Some nutrients are harmless in excess (generally those that are water soluble, as any excess is simply excreted in the urine), but others (generally fat soluable) can become toxic in the body. I was discussing this with my vet recently, and was told to be VERY careful not to over supplement - especially when using a broad spectrum premix. IMO, no supplementation is needed with complete foods unless it's to address a specific issue (joints, hairballs etc).
Thank you for your reply. I may just add a probiotic instead of any nutritional supplements.