Rad Cat skipped the B-vitamins, can I?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still trying to replicate the excitement and satisfaction from homemade that Krista got from Rad Cat. My latest batch of homemade is a hard sell with her. I included B vitamins and skipped the egg yolk because I suspect a yolk sensitivity. But she's not crazy about this batch like the last one where I included egg yolk and skipped the B-vitamins. Rad Cat did not supplement the B-vitamins. Am to assume that they felt enough was coming from the eggs and meat? Can I skip the B vitamin in my homemade if I put the egg yolks back in the recipe or is that a bad assumption?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the answer is yes you can, but you probably need enough egg yolk. Not sure how many per pound of meat would be enough.

Also don't take my word for anything cause we already know I wasn't sure about the nutrients in egg yolk, ha. :updown:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the answer is yes you can, but you probably need enough egg yolk. Not sure how many per pound of meat would be enough.

Also don't take my word for anything cause we already know I wasn't sure about the nutrients in egg yolk, ha. :updown:
I call this a reassuring maybe. 😹

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mschauer mschauer can I get you to chime in on this before I make her next batch? I'm about a day away from running out of the very last of her beloved Rad Cat. I may have to go back to the last recipe which used 1 egg yolk per 1 lbs of meat and no additional B's if she doesn't take up the new batch like she did with the RC.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! In my opinion one of the things that made Rad Cat unique and probably was at least one reason why it was so well accepted by kitties was the high quality of their animal products. I think I am correct that they sourced all or most of their products from local, non-factory type, producers. Just looking at the ingredients label, there was nothing special about their food. No magic ingredient. But kitties loved it!

That is why I would say no, you cannot assume that because they didn't add B vitamins to their foods that you don't need to either. If they did things right, they sent samples of their foods to an independent outside lab for analysis. Presumably, since they didn't add B vitamins, the analyses came back showing the foods had sufficient B vitamins. BUT, that was with using their specific ingredients that may be higher in nutrient value (being non-factory farmed) than what we source for ourselves.

Now I am making assumptions about the quality of the animal products they use but people consistently said that their cats would eat Rad Cat when they would not eat other foods with comparable ingredients including home-made. I can tell you from my personal experience that the source of the turkey I use in my home-made makes a HUGE difference in how well my kitties accept it!

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have great turkeys out here. The turkey meat and organs I get at the butcher are the same ones the "local" (three hour errand) raw feeders co-op carries. But the local butchers don't sort the organs and I have way more gizzards than hearts. But the co-op is also out of hearts. So the next batch I make today will use freeze-dried heart instead. I'll try it with half a B-50 for 1 lbs of meat as well. That's less than 44 mg the calculator recommends but I need her to eat first. I can try a full B-50 in the next next batch.