"Rad Cat® still lives!"

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I just noticed this post on the Rad Cat website and thought I'd share:

Rad Cat Raw Diet Premium Raw Food For Cats

The post is kind of vague and I don't know what they possibly might mean by Rad Cat still being alive.. but that's good news, yes? It sounds like they have plans to revive the Rad Cat brand but maybe not in the same form that it was before. Any ideas?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
No ideas but it looks as if there’s cause for hope! :crossfingers:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the heads up on that. It is pretty vague with regards to what their plans are. It would be a safe bet that they will not go back to producing a ready to eat product. As far as I know, nothing has changed to assure them that they wouldn't just experience a repeat of what happened with RadCat.

All I can think of as an alternative, lower risk, product that would be in line with their mission would be a pre-mix but that market is getting pretty saturated.

Hopefully we won't have to wait long to hear what their plans are!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the heads up on that. It is pretty vague with regards to what their plans are. It would be a safe bet that they will not go back to producing a ready to eat product. As far as I know, nothing has changed to assure them that they wouldn't just experience a repeat of what happened with RadCat.

All I can think of as an alternative, lower risk, product that would be in line with their mission would be a pre-mix but that market is getting pretty saturated.

Hopefully we won't have to wait long to hear what their plans are!
I remember there were some rumors going around last year that they might partner with a Canadian company so that they can produce their products in Canada, maybe as a way to bypass the FDA regulations? But I'm not sure how much truth there is to that (they posted a while ago that they are not selling their formula to anyone or have plans to partner with any other companies) - plus, I think they would still be held to FDA regulations even if their products are produced elsewhere if they want to sell them in the US?

I am glad though that they are particularly focusing on IBD and kidney kitties as these are the ones who were most drastically affected by their closure.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... - plus, I think they would still be held to FDA regulations even if their products are produced elsewhere if they want to sell them in the US?
Yup, food safety laws and regulations apply to any foods sold in the US. Doesn't matter where it is produced.

I am glad though that they are particularly focusing on IBD and kidney kitties as these are the ones who were most drastically affected by their closure.
My IBD kitty is doing fabulously since I got her back on a raw diet. Totally off meds and eating like a horse (bit of a problem that, but the good kind of problem to have with an IBD kitty.) I'm so glad I'm not dependent on a company to produce her food.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, food safety laws apply to any foods sold in the US. Doesn't matter where it is produced.

My IBD kitty is doing fabulously since I got her back on a raw diet. Totally off meds and eating like a horse (bit of a problem that, but the good kind of problem to have with an IBD kitty.) I'm so glad I'm not dependent on a company to produce her food.
Me too. I was using Rad Cat for my cat who we were concerned was in early stages of CKD because her blood phosphorus levels were through the roof coupled with a small amount of protein in her urine. But your help with my boneless raw homemade recipe has allowed me to move her over to homemade food!

Plus, we actually found that her blood values and urine test results all went back to normal after being on a homemade diet and the vet is no longer concerned about kidney disease for her.

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Me too. I was using Rad Cat for my cat who we were concerned was in early stages of CKD because her blood phosphorus levels were through the roof coupled with a small amount of protein in her urine. But your help with my boneless raw homemade recipe has allowed me to move her over to homemade food!

Plus, we actually found that her blood values and urine test results all went back to normal after being on a homemade diet and the vet is no longer concerned about kidney disease for her.
Raw cat food??

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Raw cat food??
Lol, yes! My cats eat fresh local raw meat and organs with raw egg yolks and other supplements (I use a verified recipe to make my own food at home). Cats are carnivores, after all! :jive:

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol, yes! My cats eat fresh local raw meat and organs with raw egg yolks and other supplements (I use a verified recipe to make my own food at home). Cats are carnivores, after all! :jive:
Yes i know , but i never feed raw , i do feed fresh cooked meat as treats sometimes though!

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes i know , but i never feed raw , i do feed fresh cooked meat as treats sometimes though!
Plain cooked meat without any added salt or spices is a wonderful treat for kitties! If you ever want to feed this kind of homemade food as a regular meal you'd have to follow a recipe or use a pre-mix supplement to make sure it's nutritionally complete.

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Plain cooked meat without any added salt or spices is a wonderful treat for kitties! If you ever want to feed this kind of homemade food as a regular meal you'd have to follow a recipe or use a pre-mix supplement to make sure it's nutritionally complete.
I've only had my cats for 2 weeks!

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I've only had my cats for 2 weeks!
No worries - take it slow! Do some reading and learn as you go. The website I linked you to before (catinfo.org) is great for learning more about feline nutrition.