Racoon Family

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I now have a family of raccoons. Last week I saw a family of them on my deck. Mother, Father and 4 young ones. The babies are so cute. I feed them dry and wet cat food and corn muffins. It is really getting expensive. It is hard enough for me to get to the store to get my food and my cats food but getting their food is really getting rough. I hate to bother people to drive me to the stores.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
One thing that may help your food bill, and is strongly suggested anyway since they are wild animals is to stagger feedings. In other words skip a day or two or three, you don't want those babies to become dependant on your handouts :)
I now have a family of raccoons. Last week I saw a family of them on my deck. Mother, Father and 4 young ones. The babies are so cute. I feed them dry and wet cat food and corn muffins. It is really getting expensive. It is hard enough for me to get to the store to get my food and my cats food but getting their food is really getting rough. I hate to bother people to drive me to the stores.
Hi Furballsmom,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have been thinking about cutting back on their food so they won't become dependent on it. I understand they only live a couple years, along with the posums and squirrels that I also feed. There is also turtles. I am sorry that I started feeding the wild animals.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have a good heart. Just decrease it and eliminate it, then the 'coons will be better at learning to find food on their own.

You could definitely help the birds, including hummingbirds if those are in your area, by feeding them, bulk bird food and suet might not be such a cost burden, and a birdbath is good for them and enjoyable to watch. You could search for do it yourself birdbaths, --I've noticed some of those can be expensive. :thumbsup:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to my feral cats that I just domesticated, we have possums, raccoons, foxes, groundhogs, coyotes, barred owls and wild turkey. Recently heard a juvie bald eagle which is 10 miles from the nearest known bald eagle nest Now we have black bears and armadillos moving into our suburbs. I'm sitting here awaiting the arrival of the giraffes and elephants. lol

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Raccoons are omnivores and can be dangerous to cats, particularly kittens... I first pinged on this in Show Low, when I caught a large coon lurking near the carport where my two recently-adopted kittens were playing at dusk. I looked it up on the Internet, and sure enough, coons will kill and eat cats if they're hungry enough, and coons are fierce fighters too... there were some ugly pics posted of half-devoured kittens and torn-up cats, just to drive the lesson home. As soon as I discovered this unsettling information, I started locking all the cats down well before dark each day... I even built a sliding wooden hatch to cover the cat door, since a large coon is easily strong enough to break right through the cheesy locks on most cat doors, or break through the door itself. Just sayin'... :nono:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Raccoons are omnivores and can be dangerous to cats, particularly kittens... I first pinged on this in Show Low, when I caught a large coon lurking near the carport where my two recently-adopted kittens were playing at dusk. I looked it up on the Internet, and sure enough, coons will kill and eat cats if they're hungry enough, and coons are fierce fighters too... there were some ugly pics posted of half-devoured kittens and torn-up cats, just to drive the lesson home. As soon as I discovered this unsettling information, I started locking all the cats down well before dark each day... I even built a sliding wooden hatch to cover the cat door, since a large coon is easily strong enough to break right through the cheesy locks on most cat doors, or break through the door itself. Just sayin'... :nono:
Yet there are also cats and raccoons that live happily together. I observed on cam for months the feral cats and raccoons and they ate side by side with one another. I think raccoon attacks are rare. Now a kitten yes but a gull grown cat can outrun a raccoon from my personal observation

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
True, some cats & coons get along, just throwin' out a warning for those who aren't aware of the potential danger from coons, particularly large & hungry coons who'll gladly eat kittens for a meal. There are also documented attacks on adult cats who got too close to a hungry coon, or interfered with a coon enough to make it angry. Don't get me wrong, I like coons, they're very intelligent and they are indeed fierce fighters, but not really the best choice as playmates for cats. :confused:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
True, some cats & coons get along, just throwin' out a warning for those who aren't aware of the potential danger from coons, particularly large & hungry coons who'll gladly eat kittens for a meal. There are also documented attacks on adult cats who got too close to a hungry coon, or interfered with a coon enough to make it angry. Don't get me wrong, I like coons, they're very intelligent and they are indeed fierce fighters, but not really the best choice as playmates for cats. :confused:
I watched the family of raccoons here eating the food while the kids played with the cats. It's wise to always be cautious though. I live in the suburbs so there is always food around somewhere. I have seen more cat attack cat then cat being attacked by other wildlife

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feeding raccoons might create a problem...Then again, it might not. You really never know. They can be extremely destructive OR just cute and keep their distance.
HOWEVER, I have a 50lb cat fully equipped to defend himself from most anything...and I can say without hesitation that a raccoon half that size would more than he could handle.
Just be careful, there's a side to them that most people never see.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that raccoons are distantly related to wolverines & bears, which would certainly explain their fierceness when riled. They can be mean critters, though most of the time they just do their own thing. :runaround:
While raccoons are cute and the ones here have got along well with my cats I won't be upset if they were relocated elsewhere as they made a major 5,000 damage to our property.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
An old post I know but an update that the raccoons here are now a danger to us. Last night I was surrounded in broad daylight by 6 raccoons who would not go away. They stood there staring at me. And I have to take the garbage outside the house so I don't know. We do have an outbreak of the zombie disease in raccoons right now and so Officials are out in back yard and surrounding area looking for the den so they can assess the situation. While they may be cute and not bother the cats they are posing a thread to humans

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An old post I know but an update that the raccoons here are now a danger to us. Last night I was surrounded in broad daylight by 6 raccoons who would not go away. They stood there staring at me. And I have to take the garbage outside the house so I don't know. We do have an outbreak of the zombie disease in raccoons right now and so Officials are out in back yard and surrounding area looking for the den so they can assess the situation. While they may be cute and not bother the cats they are posing a thread to humans
I never heard of zombie disease. My raccoons do come out in the daylight sometimes just to eat. They don't bother me or the cats.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been all over our local news in St. Louis MO for the past year. It's the same zombie disease that is killing deer and elk, and the disease is transmitted to other animals as well as humans. Regardless, it is not normal for 6 raccoons to surround a human. Regardless of what "experts say". They killed the neighbors dog last night and officials are here now trying to find the den. Zombie disease is distemper but 100 times worse than normal distemper. My local news source of 70 years posted this on numerous occasions.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I'm so sorry!! Glad you're ok!
Officials are still trying to find the den. I hate this. Rocky was such a sweet raccoon as he was someone's pet and I'm more than confident these are his descendants but we can't have them running around attacking pets and children. I have never been in a position where I was totally surrounded by 6 raccoons in broad daylight. They don't even have babies at this time so there has to be some kind of disease they are suffering from. I'm just hoping they aren't getting to acclimated to humans.