Rachel’s strange IBS

Tirzah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

I have a cat Rachel. She is about 3-4 years old. I adopted her a year ago and noticed right away that she had issues with diarrhea. I took her to the vet. They tested for parasites and bacteria but everything came back negative. So they eventually said it might be IBS and put her on Royal Canin hypo allergenic cat food which seem to help a bit. Her poop isn’t perfect but it’s better.

fast forward a few months later I realize her breath is starting to stink A LOT and her teeth seem to be deforming (it was pretty intense).
I go to the vet and they say they have only seen this type of deformation etc. From animals who suffered intense trauma to their heads (needless to say she hasn’t experienced any trauma to her head since she is an indoor cat). Basically they said ALL HER TEETH ROT. They had to pull literally everything accept her fangs and a few teeth in the back of her mouth.

no one knows the reason this happened. I think it might be the food? Because that is the only thing that changed since I adopted her and her teeth were fine for 2-3 years before she came to me.
Does anyone have any idea what is happening because i am so scared that she will loose all her teeth.

thank you

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor dental health is usually a combo of lack of oral hygiene (like tooth brushing) and genetics. Type or brand of food doesn't matter. Raw feed cats may still have dental issues the same as cats who eat dry or canned food.

Did the vet say your cat had stomatitis? Here's some info: Feline Stomatitis

You can start a home dental routine to keep the remaining teeth as healthy as possible. Tooth brushing is best. Use only pet toothpaste. Dental food and treats are useless so don't bother with those.

The dental issues are unrelated to the IBS. Your cat is young to have IBS. IBS is confirmed with a biopsy. Sometimes an ultrasound can determine IBS. If your cat's only symptoms was diarrhea, it might not be IBS but a food allergy / intolerance.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't fret.

There are some genetic reasons that could be causing teeth rot. Cat's can live long, healthy lives with no teeth at all. It would require some slight adjustments to food and toys, but it's absolutely manageable. You can switch to all wet food, or soften any hard food with water or gravy additives.

As for the IBS, staying consistent on food, or adding boiled chicken or puree pumpkin can help with diarrhea as well.