Rachael Ray Nutrish cat food?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
RR has cat food now. She has had dog food for awhile. Walmart has it now. Do you think its any good?

Chicken, Water, Vegetable Oil, Powdered Cellulose, Tricalcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Natural Flavor, Magnesium Sulfate, Taurine, Salt, Carrageenan, Cassia Gum, L-Ascorbyl -2-Polyphosphate (Source Of Vitamin C), Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Niacin, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement

night wing

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only ingredient that turns me off to this cat food is the carrageenan in it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, I'm not too fond of that powdered cellulose.  Know what that is?  Wood pulp!  Yes, we humans eat it every day in lots of the food we eat (we just didn't know it), but there really isn't a need for it in cat food, and the carbs are pretty high in this food because of it. 

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plus, it has not one, but three gums - plus carrageenan. lt seems to be a lot of filler.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So what do you suggest? i need a grain free, low carb fod with out all the things people keep telling me shouldnt be in there. I am running out of ideas/options.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This used to be my cat food cupboard before l started feeding raw. l had a young (starving) kitten at the time who ate like a horse, so that food was bought for a month (3 cats).

I still feed them some of these foods. They don't really enjoy the EVO kitten & cat, but l like it so they get it. The grain-free Wellness is a decent price so they get that once in a while too. They love the Wellness Core and the Merrick Cowboy Cookout, and Turducken. Since Merrick changed their formulations l've stopped buying them.

The Tiki Cat they really like. l can't find the chicken flavours here so they are treated to the fish flavours a couple of times per month.

And good old Friskies and Fancy Feast pates on the left side of the cupboard. They still get those too.

The main components of their diet now are my homemade raw, and 2 types of freeze-dried raw - Stella & Chewy's and Primal.

So the long answer is there is a ton of different foods out there, l guess it depends on what you're looking for. Most of the cans in the picture above contain carrageenan. That's out for some people.

Some cans contain BPA. That's out for some. 

Friskies and lnnova contain rice ... and so on. lf you create a wide enough rotation of brands, flavours, and variety, most shortcomings will be negated.

l hope this helped. lt's quite daunting to start out at the beginning 

Last edited by a moderator:

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks Andrya. It used to be avoid by products, then grain. Now thats not all. There is Guar Gum, cellulose, carrageenan. Flax and safflower. Vit k3  The list goes on.  

Even the more expensive "better brands" have ingredients that need to be avoided.  Even if I changed up with different brands.  How do i limit these ingredients? 

No wonder more people don't feed canned. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hounds and Gatos is just about perfect, IF your cats will eat it
(mine won't
)  Of course, RAW is the best way to go if you can...one of mine loves his raw
, but the other two not so much
)

Here is one of many threads out there that might help...it's about carrageenan free foods:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/262990/carrageenan-free-canned-foods

NOW, here is a chart to use to help find low carb foods.  Grain free isn't all I look for, it's low carb as well.  http://catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPhosphorus9-22-12.pdf

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lt's much, much worse with kibble. l bought 2 different bags of expensive kibble and mixed them together before l found this site. Needless to say they got thrown out.

l've learned a lot from being here, and like most things, it's an evolution. l started with a lot of Weruva in the mix, but my cats are on the slim side so l quit buying it. l go for the heavy protein and moderate-heavy fat now as they are staying the same weight on that.

Cans will need to contain a gum (usually guar). This is a "better" choice than carrageenan. But if your cat(s) show no sensitivities to carrageenan, there's likely no need to avoid it altogether. lf there is a "perfect" food for your cats but it contains carrageenan, it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, that was one of my questions. As to which ingredients I should avoid over the others. I am feeding 7 cats. So its hard to find flavors/kinds that everyone will eat. Doesnt contain junk. Mess with the youngests tummy. and lastly cause my overweight kitty to gain more. :(  I have switched to grain free. What do you look for in low carb foods?

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ln order of importance for me, it goes:

Wet (any) over dry

Grain free

Low carb

High protein

Carrageenan-free

The food chart that mrsgreenjeens linked is a very useful tool.

Here's a short thread you may be interested in addressing ingredients lists etc.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/271642/changes-in-cat-food#post_3483367

lt just kinda highlights how to use the ingredients and analysis charts to form an overall picture of each food. And again, the cheaper, less perfect foods have their place within a rotation. l go frain-free on almost all their foods, but still give them Friskies 
  which contains rice. Everything in moderation, within budget, that the cats will eat. This is the best we can do.

lunaluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use the Racheal Ray chicken and brown rice. It does not have the wood pulp or carrageenan in it. The only thing I don't like is the corn gluten in it. I alternate this with wet food. Probably not the best but she won't eat raw, just fancy feast. Not the best but you can't tell your cat what's better for it.

purrsian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would say, don't buy it. We purchased this a couple of weeks ago for our elderly cat 18+ and he ate some and wouldn't eat any more.  He was definitely on his way out...but it has always been his way to not eat something if it was bad. 

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

I would say, don't buy it. We purchased this a couple of weeks ago for our elderly cat 18+ and he ate some and wouldn't eat any more.  He was definitely on his way out...but it has always been his way to not eat something if it was bad. 
Welcome to the site!

I added these products to our Review Section and I'd love to have some reviews on them added here - 

[product="20407"]Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Wet Food For Cats Several Flavors​[/product]  

[product="20406"]Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Cat Food Various Flavors​[/product]  

We're having a fundraiser this month too, so for every review written, we add a dollar to the donations fund. It will all go to cats in need next month 
 More about the fundraiser here.

bessie glavas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bought it yesterday & my cat ate it up - then got diarrhea!  She hardly touches canned food...I'm so disappointed, keep trying to find a wholesome cat food she will eat.  THE only food that she LOVES is the rotisserie chicken from Whole Foods - won't touch it from other stores.  But she can't live on it - needs the extra taurine that feral cats get from hunting & eating the brains...yuck.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Bought it yesterday & my cat ate it up - then got diarrhea!  She hardly touches canned food...I'm so disappointed, keep trying to find a wholesome cat food she will eat.  THE only food that she LOVES is the rotisserie chicken from Whole Foods - won't touch it from other stores.  But she can't live on it - needs the extra taurine that feral cats get from hunting & eating the brains...yuck.
It may have been too quick of a change for her?  My cats have always needed a gradual change of foods.  Any outright change leaves them with diarrhea. 

bessie glavas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since I bought 2 cases of it, I mixed 1/2 of it in with canned salmon.  She's 11 years old & I've fed her all kinds of things over the years, never had that reaction before.  I'm sure it's from the high amount of cellulose in it - I'd get diarrhea with that much myself!

patrish42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

The only ingredient that turns me off to this cat food is the carrageenan in it.
car·ra·gee·nan

ˌkerəˈɡēnən/

noun

1. a substance extracted from red and purple seaweeds, consisting of a mixture of polysaccharides. It is used as a thickening or emulsifying agent in food products.