Rachael Ray Nutrish cat food?

remmiebrandt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It also contains a lot of sawdust instead of real protein - I don't think there is much meat in it even though they list it first. Plus only the chicken flavors are clear of mendione bisulfate - all the fish flavors contain this toxin.  I tried feeding it to my cats - the chicken only - but they throw up. I noticed it is pretty frequent after they feed on this stuff and both cats are throwing it up - a golden vomit that even looks like the food. I think they can't digest the sawdust (cellulose) and since the rest is all filler when they throw it up - they retain nothing. I actually threw out the last few containers and won't ever buy it again. Rachel Ray should be ashamed of herself with this food - it is anything but nutrish.

remmiebrandt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is not good for cats - it is not good for people - it is one company that produces the bulk of it and they probably spend more money trying to convince the public that it is not toxic then they spend producing the ingredient. It is much healthier to use tapioca as a thickner - you do not need it - the only food I consistently see it in is whipped cream but everything else is starting to find healthy substitutes. Google this with Dr Oz or Dr Mercola - they both say avoid. Avoid for people and definitely avoid for cats. At least make sure it is way down in the ingredient label and do not feed more than a few times a week.

remmiebrandt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It is not good for cats - it is not good for people - it is one company that produces the bulk of it and they probably spend more money trying to convince the public that it is not toxic then they spend producing the ingredient. It is much healthier to use tapioca as a thickner - you do not need it - the only food I consistently see it in is whipped cream but everything else is starting to find healthy substitutes. Google this with Dr Oz or Dr Mercola - they both say avoid. Avoid for people and definitely avoid for cats. At least make sure it is way down in the ingredient label and do not feed more than a few times a week.
This refers to carreegenan - I tried to quote another poster but for some reason it didn't quote.

remmiebrandt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Since I bought 2 cases of it, I mixed 1/2 of it in with canned salmon.  She's 11 years old & I've fed her all kinds of things over the years, never had that reaction before.  I'm sure it's from the high amount of cellulose in it - I'd get diarrhea with that much myself!
Mine are throwing up too - I actually started another thread before I saw this but yes - it is from this food now I am sure.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone here used Purina Beyond canned? It supposedly grain free, and my cat loves the chicken, sweet potato, and spinach stuff. He actually ate a whole can of it a few days ago, and he is super picky. He usually gets dry, but even then won't touch a lot of canned foods. I think it has carrageenan in it, but I haven't noticed any issues.

As for this stuff with the powdered cellulose, I am frankly appalled at the humongous amount listed in the ingredients.

Last edited:

remmiebrandt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone here used Purina Beyond canned? It supposedly grain free, and my cat loves the chicken, sweet potato, and spinach stuff. He actually ate a whole can of it a few days ago, and he is super picky. He usually gets dry, but even then won't touch a lot of canned foods. I think it has carrageenan in it, but I haven't noticed any issues.

As for this stuff with the powdered cellulose, I am frankly appalled at the humongous amount listed in the ingredients.
Yes - I bought the flavors without the mendione bi sulfate (k3) and my cats licked at it but they don't like the chunks so I've taken 4 or 5 cans at a time and grinded them into more of a pate then refrigerate it - they will eat that then - slowly - they'll not loving it but they'll at least eat it. It is a process though because the food has to come out at least 20 minutes before I want to feed them to get it to room temperature for them. I am going to continue buying it though because options are pretty slim. I pick up the Firstmate turkey on Amazon, the Tiki brand - but they only like the chicken - they hate the sardines (anything with sardines actually) and the against the grain some of the chicken ones seem pretty good. I am concerned that they are made in Thailand where there are so many illegal dog meat producers but they like it and I like the ingredients so I buy it and hope for the best. They will also eat the Hounds & Gatos - but beef only and the Werever Trulex but only the Duck. So there are some foods out there but what the cats will eat versus the decent foods is a struggle. Also I noticed Authority brand by Petsmart - only certain flavors of course - is pretty good. They only like the chicken pate though and again the other ones are chunks I need to grind for them. Looking and learning and trying.

trr97361

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This dry food has made my 7 year old cat sick! The real salmon and brown rice just won't agree with him! He would normally be fed Blue cat food, but I ran out of food and went to the local supermarket and purchased a bag. From day one my cat has gotten sick from this food. I didn't know at first if he was eating too much, so I cut his portion down. He is still getting sick , so I'm switching back to blue buffalo.

my buddies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What does everyone think of Royal Canin canned and dry food? I've been feeding one cat the Royal Canin Urinary SO and Hills prescription c/d because he's prone to urinary tract infections.  The other one gets z/d for food allergies.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

What does everyone think of Royal Canin canned and dry food? I've been feeding one cat the Royal Canin Urinary SO and Hills prescription c/d because he's prone to urinary tract infections.  The other one gets z/d for food allergies.
I'm not impressed with it and my cats don't like it. They only tried the canned but it was soundly rejected by all 3. I honestly don't know why a lot of people think it's great food. I guess this can be blamed on a lot of vets who probably get paid to keep it in their offices and recommend it. There are better foods out there in the same price range. I only got some because it was on sale at Petsmart and there were coupons on the cans. One of the things that I don't like about it is that instead of telling you in the name what the protein is, they have silly names for it like Intense Beauty. What? My cats already have intense beauty. Tell me what is in the food please. 

I'm picking on Intense Beauty because that's the kind I had gotten. If I remember correctly, most of the food I looked at have pork as the main protein source and it's by products. That's not the mark of a premium food IMO. Here's the ingredients list for the Intense Beauty (I bought the pate):

Loaf in Sauce
Water sufficient for processing, pork by-products, chicken by-products, chicken liver, pork liver, brewers rice flour, gelatin, wheat gluten, pork plasma, powdered cellulose, chicken liver hydrolysate, vegetable oil, fish oil, calcium sulfate, carrageenan, carob bean gum, guar gum, potassium chloride, sodium tripolyphosphate, taurine, vitamins [niacin supplement, DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], natural flavors, DL-methionine, cysteine, glycine, trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], choline chloride. 

It did not earn a spot in our rotation. 

Last edited:

felixbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat loves it. My cat is a bigger cat and I tried to put him on the bigger brand names (wild/blue buffalo) he wouldn't eat. He loves Rachael Ray nutrish indoor. I tried to incorporate Science Diet (big brand name), so he would loose a little weight, into the Rachael Ray's food but my cat has not taken a liking to it. He has been puking for days, since i have been incorporating science diet into his regimen. I took all his food away and started feeding him Rachael Ray again. He kept it down. 

richardcatlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I lost two cats to cancer. After doing a ton of research I determined that the over-the-counter cat food was causing the cancer. When you go through the heart ache of losing a cat to cancer - my last one died of squamous carcinoma you'd do anything not to have that happen again. My black and white cat lived on Fancy Feast and Friskies dry food. After eight years he developed a lump on his chin - I thought it was a toothache - WRONG! It was cancer. It grew and finally he couldn't drink water or eat - there was nothing the vet could do. After several vets and numerous x-rays, they would be able to cut it out and replace his chin with a bone from his hip - and then maybe he'd have a year left -if that. I tried some wholistic medicines. But my cat was dead within a month! The supermarket foods are made with bi-products. Grain is just one, the others are the DDD (dead discarded and diseased) ingredients. They feed cancerous tumors to your pets in the food! It's cheap, it's from China and it isn't regulated. This is why we don't do the grain free with the ddd. Grain and other additives are killing our cats -that's why we don't go with Grain or any of the others. I feed my cats Blue, Weruva and Tiki. It's more expensive than the stuff they sell at the grocery store - but I'd rather pay a little more, than later in vet bills and heartache - which you never do get over.

remmiebrandt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your you and your poor cat. I know how you feel and I couldn't agree with you more.

The FDA needs to regulate it but AAFCO is also a joke. One manufacturer insisted that AAFCO required them to use Mendione Bisulfate (goes under a lot of names because they try to hide this toxic ingredient) because if they don't include enough high quality protein they have to add additional vitamin K and they use this synthetic form which remains in the tissues and is very bad - banned in Europe and in the US for infants. But it is in cat food. They also throw things in like cranberries (even though the benzoic acid in cranberries is toxic), yucca and aloe - even garlic (Halo Spot does this & I could never understand why) until I learned when crops are overgrown they get rid of the excess by dumping it on the pet food industry which gets it really cheap and they use it as cheap fillers. Carrageenan is used in abundance as well as a myriad of other ingredients if you look each one up it is horrifying - like a can of Friskies. Tiki is a good product but not all cats will eat it. Mine hate the sardine chunks and tuna is not good for them. The chicken ones are good but they are very high protein so can't be fed regularly to cats with aging kidneys. And it is unaffordable to many. These cat foods that have few ingredients and quality meat are charging over $1 a can. People can't afford it regularly. Prices are fixed if you ask me. You have to spend hours and hours finding quality food that your cat likes. And the prescription foods are disgraceful. Hills should be put out of business and vets keep using it - I often wonder if they learn billing instead of medicine in vet school. All byproducts, MSB fillers  - that's why the phosphate is low. There is no actual meat in it. Unfortunately even the good foods aren't nutritious. They have chunks of carrots, potatoes ect. needed for certain vitamins which owners see and recognize and think gee this is good food. What they don't realize is that their cat or dog is not eating all these chunks - they might leave the peas or the carrot chunks behind. That means they are losing important nutrients. They need to be well blended - maybe not visually as appealing but nutritionally sound.

I can go on forever. We pet owners paying attention are so angry that the industry is killing pets. They should be living 20 to 30 years not dying at 10 - 15 years.

BTW - I once had a cat that had a lump on his nose with the vet told me was cancer, inoperable and I needed to think about euthanasia. I asked for and got antibiotics. Within a couple days the "cancer" broke open and bled alittle with pus and then by the end of the week my cat was fine. The cancerous tumor was a bad infection and that vet unfortunately is still practising even though I reported her then.

suev

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently bought this Nutrish cat food and will not buy it again.  We had a coupon to save $3 and a coupon to save $2, waste of money. We have 2 indoor cats and a cat that has adopted us and will eat anything, he will not eat this food!!  Ou indoor cats also turned up their noses.  We plan on taking the unopened bag back and give the rest away.

Don't waste your money, our cats will not touch it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue Buffalo cat food contains carrageenan, a known carcinogen. It also includes peas and potatoes, both high carbs.

mysticdragon72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All five of my cats got very sick off of some of the rr kibble... my vet at the time blamed the flea meds I used and made me feel guilty or tried to but after I took the food away and replaced it they all got better. I'll never feed Rachel ray again.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I happened to look at the ingredients for the wet food, when it first came out. I was not impressed at all.

I was given a pack of the treats as a prize from this site. I looked at the ingredients again, and was still not impressed...sorry....

I gave the treats to the Humane society...sorry....

as a one time thing, it would be ok, but not as part of a rotation..

junglecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's sad. Sometimes, people look at the name behind a product and automatically assume that it will be a good product because of who the person happens to be. They trust the person to make a high-quality product. Not true. You definitely have to do the research and check all the ingredients, reviews, complaints etc. The name on the product should mean something, but unfortunately it really does not anymore.

Last edited:

mr jinx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Mr Jinx is 15 yrs old. I switch from Iams cat food to Rachel Ray dry cat food thought it would be just as good. . Didn't put to and to together, but he would throw up until nothing is in his belly. Yellow green color throw up. He has loss a lot of weight, just really this weekend we realized. Husband went to the store 4:30 am and went to get some fancy cat food in the can . He did lick and ate some of it.
He is so week right not but good.

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 7 month old kitten has a very small appetite, but she will graze and eventually finish a meal of Rachael Ray Dry chicken flavor.  Meat is the lead ingredient and the corn content seemingly is minimal.  She eats it and her stools are regular and firm, so the food seems to be doing its job metabolically.  I just wish I hadn't rushed out and bought the 14lbs bag of Rachael Ray Dry fish flavor.  Should have bought a small size bag, just in case kitty doesn't like fish or has some allergic reaction to fish.  My first error as a first-time cat owner.