Rabies Vaccine

gregfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat Lacy had a rabies (3-year) shot and shortly after would not eat or drink. She never had a problem with the shot before.

When we got her home she was mouth breathing and vomited, she lost her equilibrium, couldn’t walk a straight line shaking her head and rolling over she then fell in our pool.

We took her to a hospital where she spent 24 hours on IV and had many tests performed. . She has hyperthyroidism and hypertension and has been ataxic at times.

We don’t know for sure what caused, but I must add this occurred about 15 minutes after the rabies shot.

She is only eating small amounts and will not drink; we are forcing water with a syringe. We don’t know if she will survive.

We’ve been told the problem couldn’t be the vaccine, but I found hundreds of comments by others on the web

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so so sorry this happened!!
Like you, I've been reading about a lot of bad reactions to the three year vaccine.
Whether it's the actual vaccine that is the specific cause, or that the vaccine interacts badly somehow with preexisting conditions, I couldn't begin to guess.
I'm sending tons of healing thoughts and hugs to you!!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry she had this happen to her. I dont know if its the Vaccine, or a reaction to it or not. My 4 get the 3 year vaccine and other than a bit off or tired for a few hours, like with any vaccine we have never had a problem. Different cats, different reactions.

If she is not eating you may need to feed with the syringe too?

I will keep your girl in my thoughts and prayers. I hope she is much better soon!
:crossfingers:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat Lacy had a rabies (3-year) shot and shortly after would not eat or drink. She never had a problem with the shot before.

When we got her home she was mouth breathing and vomited, she lost her equilibrium, couldn’t walk a straight line shaking her head and rolling over she then fell in our pool.

We took her to a hospital where she spent 24 hours on IV and had many tests performed. . She has hyperthyroidism and hypertension and has been ataxic at times.

We don’t know for sure what caused, but I must add this occurred about 15 minutes after the rabies shot.

She is only eating small amounts and will not drink; we are forcing water with a syringe. We don’t know if she will survive.

We’ve been told the problem couldn’t be the vaccine, but I found hundreds of comments by others on the web
I have a real issue with vets that refuse to believe that a problem could possibly be caused by a vaccine. If they as sure the problem "couldn't" be the vaccine, tell them to tell you what the problem IS! Grr. Vaccine reactions happen, not often thankfully, but they do and it's frustrating when it does and you need your vet but they refuse to listen to you.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Simone definitely had a reaction to the last Rabies shot. For days she was super lethargic and wouldn't eat. The vets suggested that I give her benadryl before the next shot. My other cats get a little sleepy but nothing beyond that

She was born with a heart murmur. She's going to be 11 this year. Slender, wiry and kinda mean Lol!

I believe there are different brands of the shot but it might be that the one year vs 3 year shot is just different and there is only one manufacturer.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vaccines are only supposed to be given to healthy animals (and people). Otherwise the immune reaction can cause a cascade effect. If the vet knew she had hyperthyroidism, he shouldn't have vaccinated her. It says this right on the vaccine bottle; I wish vets would pay more attention to it. :angrywoman:

I hope she can pull through, and feel better soon. Make sure the vet puts a note in her records so she doesn't get vaccinated again.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vaccines are only supposed to be given to healthy animals (and people). Otherwise the immune reaction can cause a cascade effect. If the vet knew she had hyperthyroidism, he shouldn't have vaccinated her. It says this right on the vaccine bottle; I wish vets would pay more attention to it. :angrywoman:

I hope she can pull through, and feel better soon. Make sure the vet puts a note in her records so she doesn't get vaccinated again.
Depending on your location (for G gregfox ), rabies can be waived by a medical condition. I would find a vet to allow this as her condition and her reaction would make me fight tooth and nail any vet that insisted she receive this particular vaccine again.
Does she go outside at all?
Edit: W Willowy , a friend of mine had a litter of foster pups that got the routine boosters and one of the pups faded and died immediately. =(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gregfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry she had this happen to her. I dont know if its the Vaccine, or a reaction to it or not. My 4 get the 3 year vaccine and other than a bit off or tired for a few hours, like with any vaccine we have never had a problem. Different cats, different reactions.

If she is not eating you may need to feed with the syringe too?

I will keep your girl in my thoughts and prayers. I hope she is much better soon!
:crossfingers:
Thank you, we are force feeding water, for now.

gregfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Depending on your location (for G gregfox ), rabies can be waived by a medical condition. I would find a vet to allow this as her condition and her reaction would make me fight tooth and nail any vet that insisted she receive this particular vaccine again.
Edit: W Willowy , a friend of mine had a litter of foster pups that got the routine boosters and one of the pups faded and died immediately. =(
Thank you, she is only an indoor cat, and we're getting a new vet if she survives.

gregfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

We are getting a new VET!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, she is only an indoor cat, and we're getting a new vet if she survives.
I've had dogs and cats both get vaccine reactions. It's apparently rare, but not rare enough if it's your pet...but ours have been OK after some time. I hope the same is for her and she is able to pull through.

gregfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you.

gregfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so so sorry this happened!!
Like you, I've been reading about a lot of bad reactions to the three year vaccine.
Whether it's the actual vaccine that is the specific cause, or that the vaccine interacts badly somehow with preexisting conditions, I couldn't begin to guess.
I'm sending tons of healing thoughts and hugs to you!!
If she makes it we will get a new Vet. Thank you

gregfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Simone definitely had a reaction to the last Rabies shot. For days she was super lethargic and wouldn't eat. The vets suggested that I give her benadryl before the next shot. My other cats get a little sleepy but nothing beyond that

She was born with a heart murmur. She's going to be 11 this year. Slender, wiry and kinda mean Lol!

I believe there are different brands of the shot but it might be that the one year vs 3 year shot is just different and there is only one manufacturer.
Thank you for that.

Erinlinkcappy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has vaccine reactions. We now titre test and his vaccine is waived ( however I’m in Aus where there is no rabies so this might not be the case for that). His reaction lasted a few days ( in which he did not really move at all) so hopefully your little cat will start to improve!

Little confused about your vets reaction - if they don’t think it is a vaccine , what do they think it is? Are they going to try and diagnose further? If it is possibly something else shouldn’t they try and pinpoint it and treat it?