Rabies vaccine updates for barn cats?

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my TNR barn cats was TNR'd back in 2012, and she has proven to be a smart survivor.

Obviously, her rabies vaccine has expired and we're past the point where there's any protection remaining. Despite years of attempting to socialize with her, she's remained stubbornly a barn cat. She comes when called and will follow you around, but she doesn't like to be touched and can't be handled.

How do you re-vaccinate cats like this?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your are probably going to have to borrow a trap from a TNR group or the animal shelter so you can take her to the vet. I am in the same boat. Big Red will need to go soon for his follow-up (he was the first cat I caught when the TNRing began). Since I am not great with the trap, I may have to get the local feral cat group to help me do a transfer from trap to cage. We are fortunate to have a great cat rescue in our area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'll certainly have to trap her again. I'm an experienced trapper.

Amber (she's orange) is one of my only TNR cats to survive long enough for this to become an issue. I've managed the colony down from ~30 to 2 over 14 years, including new arrivals. I've gotten the adoptable ones adopted.

My process has been to take the cats to the local spay/neuter clinic in traps, but they don't re-vaccinate cats they've already spayed. I guess I need to find a local vet who can treat a cat that can't be handled -- without thick gloves.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As you may be aware, there is an oral rabies vaccine bait that is sometimes distributed in areas where there is concern about rabid foxes, raccoons, and skunks, but I haven't heard of its use for cats. I found a 2015 article that said it is not designed for domestic animals, but I also found a 2018 website with this interesting line: The RABORAL V-RG® vaccine is safe for more than 60 different species of animals, including domestic dogs and cats. I don't know if that means it can be used for cats or if it just won't harm cats that run across it. Here is the website:
USDA APHIS | USDA Begins 2018 Oral Rabies Vaccine Efforts in Eastern United States

You could check with your vet to see if there is any updated info on this, but I think you are going to have to trap Amber and hopefully the vet can poke her through the trap!