Rabies Fun

letterman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have two cats a few years apart. Both were given updated rabies vaccine in Jan. Jes was given a booster as she was given one years prior, Ro was given his first rabies vaccine. Last month (July) (6 months later) both cats had fun with a tested positive rabies bat. Five days later I brought them in and they both got another booster vaccine. The 5 day lag was because I got the bat tested and assumed it was negative. When tests came back I got them shots immediately.

Will they be ok?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I am reading this right they were both given a rabies shot in Jan of this year yes?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's the general protocol, and it wouldn't be protocol if it weren't effective. I don't think there's anything to worry about regarding them.

Did you have any possible contact with the bat? Did you get vaccinated?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's the general protocol, and it wouldn't be protocol if it weren't effective. I don't think there's anything to worry about regarding them.

Yup :yeah: on all accounts.

Yes Jan this year and again 5 days after bite
W Willowy is totally correct. That is protocol and it's got a good success rate. The fact that they were also pre-vaccinated is an extra layer of protection so the odds are incredibly in your favor. I'm not a Doctor and of course, they and myself can never be 100% sure at this stage but it's pretty likely they'll be okay because of what you did for them both pre and post exposure. WELL DONE!

Also - did you have contact with the bat yourself?

I had to have a series of Rabies shots near two years ago now. Wasn't horrible. Wasn't fun - but wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. (I was bitten by an unknown stray cat - just a nip but broke the skin so off I went)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

letterman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Yup :yeah: on all accounts.

W Willowy is totally correct. That is protocol and it's got a good success rate. The fact that they were also pre-vaccinated is an extra layer of protection so the odds are incredibly in your favor. I'm not a Doctor and of course, they and myself can never be 100% sure at this stage but it's pretty likely they'll be okay because of what you did for them both pre and post exposure. WELL DONE!

Also - did you have contact with the bat yourself?

I had to have a series of Rabies shots near two years ago now. Wasn't horrible. Wasn't fun - but wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. (I was bitten by an unknown stray cat - just a nip but broke the skin so off I went)
Thank you!

Yes I had to get the rabies series myself, $14,000 billed to insurance so far :) Cant wait to get the bill.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

Yes I had to get the rabies series myself, $14,000 billed to insurance so far :) Cant wait to get the bill.
OUCH! Makes me glad I lived in Canada - in spite of the snow. That bill. OUCHHH.

I'm glad you got them too. It's not fun but I learned this from the experience:

Anyone ever asks me if I want a needle in my thigh or butt - I'm bending over so fast their heads will spin! The ones on my hand and arms, fine, butt checks fine, but the ones in the top of my thigh - OMG - it felt like some muscle head punch me full force for two days after.

XOXOXOXOXOX

Let us know how you all are doing! I know it's scary.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am really sorry that this happened to you; your vigilance has more than likely paid off. Main vector for rabies in my area is bats as well and I worry about this scenario in general.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

letterman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update.

My cats did not get rabies and I just spent all week on the water and did not fright so I am assuming I am rabies free as well. Thank you.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update.

My cats did not get rabies and I just spent all week on the water and did not fright so I am assuming I am rabies free as well. Thank you.
So glad to hear that! Thanks for taking the time to update us too.

XOXOXOXX