Rabies booster?

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I'm trying to figure out what to do here. Our vet has been sending us postcards reminding us that it's time for Aria's follow-up rabies and "examination". She was a stray kitten and last year was the first rabies or other vaccinations. Aria is terrified of the vet. Her heart starts pounding real fast. I really don't want to take her in for another vaccination. I decided to procrastinate kinda indefinitely. Both our kitties are 100% indoors and zero risk of getting any diseases. I like my vet. I kinda feel bad for ignoring the postcards.The vet saved Aria's eye that was severly infected when we found her as a stray in our carport. I've been getting Revolution flea meds from the vet the past year (works fine) and called to order another dose to pick up on my way home. They said nope, not unless you bring her in for her annual exam/shots. Well I don't know what to do now. I could try using Advantage that doesn't need a vet prescription. Or I could put Aria thru torture. Am I being a bad kitty mom for not taking her in?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is Aria? If she is young enough, you can probably more easily desensitize her to being taken to a vet by getting her used to her carrier in your home, and then move on to short jaunts in the car, and finally on to the ultimate: the vet visit. The same can be done with an older cat, it just might take a little longer to get her used to it. Regardless of her current age, are you planning on NEVER taking her for a check up in her entire lifetime? I hope you realize that is probably not going to be a realistic plan.

You might consider trying some of the various calming products on the market to see if they would help. Feliway spray and Bach Rescue Remedy drops - just to name two. Not all work on all cats, so you would probably have to do some experimenting for you to find one that works for her. If the vet marked her chart with a notation about her demeanor/behavior during a vet visit, they might be willing to prescribe a tiny dose of Gabapentin to help calm her before a vet visit. Other members have done so to help their cats get through a vet visit.

You could ask the vet about using Advantage on a temporary basis while you work to find ways to calm her for a future vet visit.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah they legally can't sell you any prescription meds unless they've seen the animal in question within the last year. So it's not just their policy---it's meant to keep people from misusing/reselling prescription meds.

It's also a good idea to keep your pets up-to-date on rabies vaccine for legal reasons. Some vet clinics won't see a pet that isn't up-to-date if they have an emergency, and if there's ever a bite/scratch incident, they could be put down if their vaccine isn't current.

Is her heart beating faster the only thing that happens when she's at the vet? If so, that's really a small price to pay to keep her legal. If it's more severe than that, yeah, you can ask the vet for some gabapentin to calm her down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind advice. Aria's about a year and 4 months old. It wasn't so much the cat carrier or car ride that got to her, she grumbled about it, but what got to her was being brought out of the cat carrier and handled on the exam table by the vet, for some reason she's terrified. It wasn't that I was "never" going to take her in, but I didn't want to anytime soon, I was going to procrastinate until I couldn't anymore (dumb I know). But I just went on Chewy and ordered Feliway wipes. Maybe if I wipe down the carrier she will be calmer once she gets to the vet. I realize now I'll have to take her in within the next week or so before she gets any more overdue. I didn't think about the "legal" angle to it, that if anything happened it could go badly for her without up-to-date rabies shots. Thank you! :)

bluebklyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After my cat's first set of vaccinations as a kitten, my Texas vet didn't want to see her again unless she became injured or ill. Because she was 100% indoors, he believed that leaving our home was a bigger health risk than staying home. When I moved to New York, our new vet had the same policy. He offered to give rabies vaccinations if landlords require them, otherwise he didn't want to see her. Maybe you could just call your vet's office and ask what their policy is for indoor cats.

bluebklyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Whoops, ignore that. I didn't see the last part about the prescription meds. I think it's standard policy to require regular visits to maintain a prescription.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I fully support annual exams for all pets regardless of age. There are little things owners might miss seeing their pet every day and having a full exam history can be really beneficial. I know it can be stressful for the animals, but it is one day and usually just a few hours. Most animals will recover from the experience relatively quickly with no lasting problems. My cats and rabbit have full history with their vets so there is no question on what is normal for them and what is worrisome. As they get older, regular blood work also becomes part of the annual to maintain the baseline expectation with your animals health.

As to rabies, even though her risk is low there is still a risk. Not to mention the rabies in particular isn't just for peace of mind. In an emergency, proof of rabies vaccine might be needed for boarding or other situations. You never know when something could happen that would make you thankful that your vaccines were current. For a really wild example but it could happen, if a visitor to your home was bitten by your cat in my area having proof of rabies vaccine means your cat wouldn't have to be held at the shelter for observation for 14 days. Another one, my area is currently seeing a lot of fires. If I had to evacuate not having vaccination records could make the difference in finding shelter or a hotel. Or it could be as simple as a family member goes into the hospital and you need to board your cat for a week while you take care of things across the country. You just never know and scrambling for a vaccine when you need it is not a good experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update :) I ordered Feliway wipes, and Aria has a vet appointment October 3rd for well-kitty exam. They said it's curbside only due to Covid, so I can't go in the vet building with her....darn, I kinda wasn't expecting that but shouldn't be surprised I guess..

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...if there's ever a bite/scratch incident, they could be put down if their vaccine isn't current.

Now, just a minute........no one is going to euthanize an owned cat in that situation.

First of all, no matter what......the cat must be held in quarantine and observed for a predetermined period of time >>>TO DETERMINE WHETHER/NOT IT HAS - OR DEVELOPS RABIES.....that determination would be impossible if the cat were to be euthanized.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad to hear you got an appointment. All my animals have had appointments in this time and it hasn't been bad waiting outside. Just bring a book

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no one is going to euthanize an owned cat in that situation.
Oh, they will in some places. It happens all the time. Although bite incidents are less risky than a known rabies exposure (say a rabid bat gets into your house). With known rabies exposure, euthanasia is the recommended protocol; they only do quarantine if the owner insists.
.the cat must be held in quarantine and observed for a predetermined period of time >>>TO DETERMINE WHETHER/NOT IT HAS - OR DEVELOPS RABIES.....that determination would be impossible if the cat were to be euthanized.
Or they can put it down right away and test the brain. They do not need to complete the quarantine if they're going to test.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The rabies/legal angle is tricky and I would never want to see an animal put at risk for lack of a shot. But having said that, I fought, and lost, LA county in an attempt not to give my immune compromised dog a rabies vaccine. He takes no other vaccines per his vet. Out here I have heard of animals being held for observation after a bite, but a friend in rural PA gives rabies to all her indoor cats because the "bat in the house" scenario could result in the cats being put down.

Boarding an animal or entering a hotel or shelter could depend on proof of vaccination.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Out here I have heard of animals being held for observation after a bite,
I'm near you and here proof of rabies vaccine means you can observe at home instead of them being held at the shelter. I know someone whose dog bit someone bad enough to require 150 stitches, surgery and plastic surgery; because of the circumstances and that shots were up to date the dog was allowed to quarentine at home for 14 days with a vet check at the end to confirm no symptoms.

Very much a case of preventative is better than reactove.