Rabbit silver skin: remove or not?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make raw food from frozen fryer rabbits. Usually just the hind legs and my favorite beertenders were getting the rest of the carcasses. But that's neither here nor there now with the self-isolation. What I'd like to know is whether that silver skin needs to be removed or not? It does not come off the legs very easily. In fact, I'm far more likely to remove my own skin in the process. 😲 🤦‍♂️ I usually try it on a leg or two and then give up on the other legs. It also makes cutting the meat away a far more laborious and glove-intensive task--as in, because it takes more effort, I end up going through more gloves (having to change them out any time I touch a surface that's not her food.) Gloves are harder to come by than toilet paper right now. And I still need to keep some on hand for her chemo medicine.

So, remove it or leave it?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know the answer to your question however, I can suggest buying a boning knife. It's really long and thin and slides under silver skin incredibly well. I use it all the time to remove that from pork tenderloins for us. Makes removal of it really easy and safe.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also try freezing the meat / rabbit for a while, until you can still press down on the flesh. I find it is much easier to debone meat that way. And I save the bone to make bone broth; I often get around 12 ounces of meat off of the bones afterwards. I just make sure I get all the meat, and none of the very cooked bone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also try freezing the meat / rabbit for a while, until you can still press down on the flesh. I find it is much easier to debone meat that way. And I save the bone to make bone broth; I often get around 12 ounces of meat off of the bones afterwards. I just make sure I get all the meat, and none of the very cooked bone.
Thanks but this is all moot at the moment. I still can't find gloves because of the pandemic. If I do find another box, I have to conserve it for her chemotherapy medicine. I just ran out last week and I have been washing and re-using the very last pair from that box.